Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Ideas for Dancing Alternatives?

We'll be having our wedding and reception between lunch and dinner and will be serving appetizers and desserts at the reception (minimal alcohol), which makes me think people will probably not want to dance.

Does anyone have any fun ideas to involve all of the guests, maybe some games that are friendly for multiple generations? I'm thinking trivia about the bride and groom for a prize could be fun. Our friends and family will probably expect fun icebreakers and games since we're camp people, so I don't think there will be much resistance.

Thanks!

Re: Ideas for Dancing Alternatives?

• Options
    We'll be having our wedding and reception between lunch and dinner and will be serving appetizers and desserts at the reception (minimal alcohol), which makes me think people will probably not want to dance.

Does anyone have any fun ideas to involve all of the guests, maybe some games that are friendly for multiple generations? I'm thinking trivia about the bride and groom for a prize could be fun. Our friends and family will probably expect fun icebreakers and games since we're camp people, so I don't think there will be much resistance.

Thanks!
    There might not be open resistance to games, but trivia about the bride and groom is going to come off as AWish when they already are the center of attention.
  • Options
    It's fine to not have dancing...but no dancing and minimal alcohol frequently means people don't stick around all that long.
  • Options
    You don't need alternatives. We had a lunch reception and didn't have dancing. We had good music, good food, and great people who managed to entertain themselves just fine socializing for a couple hours and then moving on with their lives. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Alternatives to dancing include talking, sitting, eating, and drinking. 

Unless it's an outdoor BBQ style reception with lawn games, games are going to come across as some type of show with your guests held hostage as the audience. They're your guests, not your audience. If you do decide on something game-like, at least find a way to make it ACTUALLY voluntary--meaning voluntary to participate in, and voluntary to watch. The best I can envision is having "stations" around the room that people can wander to at their leisure and do something with--essentially the way people do with a guest book, but you could have other things as well. 

But really, sitting, talking, eating, and drinking are perfectly good things to do if there's no dancing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards