Attire & Accessories Forum

What to wear under the dress

I have a ball gown wedding dress. I bought a corset type bra that also sucks my gut in. The problem I'm having is what kind of underwear/panties do I wear under my wedding dress. It's a ball gown with layers of fabric, so I don't think anyone would know what I was wearing underneath. I couldn't find any articles on this subject. Do I go for comfort? Should I wear nylons so my thighs don't sweat and stick together? should I go with bare legs? Should I wear spank shorts even though the legs roll up on you? Should I go for sexy? Should I go for seamless no show just in case you can see lines? Please help?

Re: What to wear under the dress

• This is really personal preference. I would NEVER wear nylons especially under a gown with layers of fabric. Way too hot. But if that is something you normally do and are used to it, then go for it.

I am not familiar with Spanx shorts but if they roll up, they can't possibly be comfortable all day so I would nix those.

I am likely wearing white cotton boy shorts because that's what is comfy to me. I think comfort is key!
  • Do NOT wear nylons. Ahhh, that gives me anxiety just to think about. It is so hot under wedding dresses. I would be ripping them off in the bathroom half way through cocktail hour.

I also wore a ball gown. And I just wore a thong under my dress (which is my everyday underwear)

If you are worried about your legs rubbing, buy body glide. It is what runners use for marathons.

As for spanx, make sure you are buying the right size. If they fit properly they dont roll. But since you are wearing a ball gown, I dont see the real benefit in spanx.

Go for whatever is comfy and cool (temp wise) to you. After the reception is over, take a shower, get cleaned up and then put on your wedding night attire.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • FWIW, I have never seen a ball gown where you could see pantylines.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wore regular cotton panties. So comfy!
  • I never have a problem with the bike short style spanx rolling up. That's what I wore and they stayed put and also held in my stomach pooch a bit. I didn't wear a bra with my dress...
  • I have a ball gown wedding dress. I bought a corset type bra that also sucks my gut in. The problem I'm having is what kind of underwear/panties do I wear under my wedding dress. It's a ball gown with layers of fabric, so I don't think anyone would know what I was wearing underneath. I couldn't find any articles on this subject. Do I go for comfort? Should I wear nylons so my thighs don't sweat and stick together? should I go with bare legs? Should I wear spank shorts even though the legs roll up on you? Should I go for sexy? Should I go for seamless no show just in case you can see lines? Please help?
    Go for comfort during the wedding.  I wore boyshort underwear under my dress.  I put a couple of swipes of deodorant on each inner thigh and didn't have any problems with chafing.  I skipped the spanx.....I felt too constricted with them on and with my dress, it really didn't make much of a noticeable difference.

Save the sexy for after the wedding and the honeymoon.  :)
  • I'm going for regular cotton (boy short) panty and wearing a petticoat under my dress.
  • I'm (mostly) going for comfort. Boy shorts and the Spanx bike shorts for the first half of the wedding (I'm changing into cultural dress for the start of the reception and don't want to fuss with putting the Spanx ON in a bathroom stall after the ceremony so I will wear them under my dress), but will ditch the Spanx once we get into dinner. I second the deodorant trick. I was a dancer, and that was one of the things we did so avoid rubbing and sticking.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I have a ball gown wedding dress. I bought a corset type bra that also sucks my gut in. The problem I'm having is what kind of underwear/panties do I wear under my wedding dress. It's a ball gown with layers of fabric, so I don't think anyone would know what I was wearing underneath. I couldn't find any articles on this subject. Do I go for comfort? Should I wear nylons so my thighs don't sweat and stick together? should I go with bare legs? Should I wear spank shorts even though the legs roll up on you? Should I go for sexy? Should I go for seamless no show just in case you can see lines? Please help?
    I agree with PP, go with what makes you feel confortable, I wouldn't be caught dead not wearing panty hose on my wedding day. I love them, they make my legs look good, suck in everything that needs to be sucked in. I even wear them under jeans depending on my shoe.

I would try a bunch of different styles at your next bridal fitting- or take your gown with you to the underpants store.

• I would go for comfort, and for either white or nude color.  I've seen some unflattering photos of women wearing underwear as their "something blue" and the camera caught the fabric just right and you could see the color of the underwear underneath the dress.  You might not have this problem in a ballgown though depending on how high your underwear/shorts/spanx/etc. sit versus where your skirt begins.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
    I had bare legs and had no problems with my legs sticking together.  However, I did have a winter wedding and a pretty simple A-line dress without layers and layers of fabric.  I would probably wear nylons if I thought my thighs would stick together and rub.

I would definitely go for comfort in everything I wear! I wouldn't wear spank shorts unless I absolutely needed them.  For underwear, definitely go for comfort.  You do not want your cute lacy sexy pair itching or riding up!
  • I am wearing a ball gown as well.  Did you guys wear some kind of hoop or crinoline (probably slaughtered that spelling) slip??
  • I am wearing a ball gown as well.  Did you guys wear some kind of hoop or crinoline (probably slaughtered that spelling) slip??
    It depends on the structure of your ball gown and how much stiffness (not the best word) or shape you want it to keep and how much poofiness you want it to have. Some ball gowns have plenty of layers already built in to keep the shape but some do not. I didn't wear a ball gone but I did add a petticoat under mine just to help keep the softer layers of crinoline from going in between my legs so it made it easier to walk.

It depends on the structure of your ball gown and how much stiffness (not the best word) or shape you want it to keep and how much poofiness you want it to have. Some ball gowns have plenty of layers already built in to keep the shape but some do not. I didn't wear a ball gone but I did add a petticoat under mine just to help keep the softer layers of crinoline from going in between my legs so it made it easier to walk.
    ^^ This.  I wore an a-line dress with nothing under the main layer of satin.  In order to keep it from going between my legs when I walked, I wore a small petticoat that had just a couple layers of tulle near the bottom in order to keep the skirt nice and poofed out.

My sister's wedding dress is also a-line, but hers has a petticoat with tulle built in, so she won't need an extra petticoat like I did.
  • KatWAG said:

Do NOT wear nylons. Ahhh, that gives me anxiety just to think about. It is so hot under wedding dresses. I would be ripping them off in the bathroom half way through cocktail hour.

I also wore a ball gown. And I just wore a thong under my dress (which is my everyday underwear)

If you are worried about your legs rubbing, buy body glide. It is what runners use for marathons.

Disagree. This is definitely too personal for us to answer. I wear stockings 4-5 times per week and love them. I'll probably wear them under my ball gown.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is personal preference. If you don't normally wear stockings, don't do it. It may be too uncomfortable. 

In order to prevent leg rug, use deodorant. It sounds crazy, but it helps SO MUCH. Even if you just get a cheapy one from the dollar store just to use on your thighs, it's worth it.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm wearing spanx high waisted nylons under my ballgown. Spanx have a gusset in the crotch, so you don't have to take them off to pee. That is my main concern.

I wear tights several times a week for work so this is in my comfort zone. And with these, I don't need underwear.
  • I wore a pair of my regular underwear that I knew I would be comfortable in. To keep your legs comfortable go to a local store that has runners supplies. They sell this stuff for putting on body parts for runners (GLIDE is one brand) to keep their legs and arms from chaffing while running. It's not greasy or anything and you won't even realize that you have it on. The less support clothing you can get away with under your dres, the more comfortable you will be. But wear what you are comfortable in. Just think of what you will be able to deal with while wearing your dress. Like will you be comfortable having to deal with full tights with your dress. I recommend doing a "dress rehersal" with your dress and undergarments as if you have to go to the bathroom and put all of it on while doing a fitting to determine, are you getting too hot with everything on?
  • If you're worried about rubbing, gold bond is also sort of amazing.  We use it all the time in "crevices" when we're going to be outdoors doing a lot of activity (camping, hiking, etc.)  It works wonders at preventing chaffing and keeping you dry in places that are easy to sweat like between your thighs. The large-chested girls in our group also usually put some on under their breasts. which might be beneficial depending on your individual build, how much fabric you're going to be wearing, how well it breathes, and how warm your venue will end up being when you fill it with bodies & start moving ;)
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I am wearing thigh highs with the grip on them, my regular Cotten panties, and Cotten no under wier bra. I have yet to decide if I want to wear spanks or not yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards