Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress might be too tight???

I have my first dress fitting tomorrow for my April 26 wedding and I KNOW it's going to be too tight. Last time I tried it on, I was able to get into it no problem and I couldn't have gone a size up but the top hook on the corset back wouldn't fasten. I've probably gained 5-10 lbs since then. My clothes all fit but don't feel any looser either. Obviously I'm going to try and lose 10-15 lbs before my wedding (I'm overweight to begin so can lose weight fairly fast) but just in case, would spanx work to help out a slightly too tight dress...any other recommendations? Thanks!

Re: Dress might be too tight???

• Spanks will generally streamline your body, so the dress doesn't bulge out in areas and not in others.  Sometimes, spanks are great beneath dresses, but sometimes, that extra fabric beneath the dress can make it seem just as snug. Can your seamstress take the dress out a little bit?  Also, with a corset back, usually you have some wiggle room in your diet.  That is why I changed my dress to a corset back.  I LOVE buttons, but they are a pain, and you have no extra room to work with

• Now that you mention it, last time I tried it on I had a girdle with boning in it, maybe that added a little bulk? There's no way I can let it out, it's not in our budget. The corset laced up fine and everybody said it fit perfect but they couldn't get the top hook in the panel closed. I'm terrified that tomorrow is going to be a disaster and crash dieting is in my future! I love buttons too, so beautiful but so unforgiving.
  • It will be fine.  I have decided to change up my diet and eat egg beaters and turkey bacon for breakfast, (no more cereal) and eat smaller meals throughout the day, and no nutra sweet.  I have been told to do this by a personal trainer. I have all ready lost 5 lbs (in two weeks). Nutra sweet makes you crave sweet foods, and eating your first meal high in protein and low in carbs will give you energy all day long and boosts your metabolism. Do not crash diet.  It is more likely that the lbs will come right back. WHen you crash diet, you make your body feel like you are doing without which leads to more cravings. Just change a couple of things and do 30 minutes of cardio a day and the weight will come off and stay off. And drink lots of water.  I hate water, but drinking water helps you feel full and eat less. I also keep protein bars in my car so I am less tempted to eat unhealthy after working out.
  • eas8418 said:
    Now that you mention it, last time I tried it on I had a girdle with boning in it, maybe that added a little bulk? There's no way I can let it out, it's not in our budget. The corset laced up fine and everybody said it fit perfect but they couldn't get the top hook in the panel closed. I'm terrified that tomorrow is going to be a disaster and crash dieting is in my future! I love buttons too, so beautiful but so unforgiving.

If the top hook doesn't close, yes, the dress is too tight, and you will likely have the hated "back fat", where your back bulges out over the dress.   I would honestly ask your seamstress to hold off making any alterations for a month, and see what you can do for losing a few pounds.  If your wedding is April 26, they may be able to wait until about late February to start making alterations.  
  • They might be able to re-work the panel for you if it's just the panel that's not closing.  You'll find out more at your dress fitting.

Anniversary
  • dress fittings can be a hassel if something does not fit right. seamstresses can work magic. hopefully they wont have to resort to taking out the dress
  • I think you are going a bit early for alterations.  Why not hold off for a month and see how your body may change?

But yes, if the top hook won't latch then your dress is too tight.  Honestly I would shell out the money to have the dress fitted correctly.  A poor fitted dress is not something that you want.

• So...apparently I got myself worked up for nothing. The dress fit perfectly with a little room to spare even. I must have lost weight and just didn't notice (I don't weigh myself). Thank you all for the replies and advice!
  • crisis averted!
  • Thank goodness! Your user name cracked e up BTW, OnionBreath.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards