Wedding Etiquette Forum

Too Late for Engagement Party....I Think?

I have seen other threads about this and I am inclined to agree, but our bridal party and others seem to think differently.
FI and I got engaged in October, less than a week after our son was born. We knew throughout my pregnancy there were complications and DS would have to be on ventilation and have major surgery if he was going to make it. So from the moment he was born he was taken and immediately put on ventilation. He went into surgery at 11 days old and we were told it was possible he may not make it. This was a very difficult time for us, but the procedure went much better than expected, and he was breathing on his own and feeding orally within 2 weeks, and home at a month old. There have not been any complications.
Due to prioritizing our son's health we did not even begin to talk about wedding preparations until just before Christmas, and over the holidays we began to select our bridal party. At the time FI's best man implied planning with my MOH(i asked her to be part of wp about a week later) an engagement party for us. We heard nothing more about it until this week when my MOH told me that another one of my BM's told her not to even bother because it is "my parents' responsibility" to throw this party. I do realize that traditionally that is the convention, but I thought anyone who offers can throw this type of party. My family would love to assist with such a thing and absolutely contribute the majority of finances, but they do not know the custom because my mom is not involved and my stepmom is from Jamaica. 
I told my MOH I didn't think stepmom was planning anything as far as I knew, but was sure she would love to cohost/be included in planning and provide financially if such an event was being thrown(my parents never want my friends to spend money, they are always happy to contribute-stepmom did the same for my baby shower). MOH immediately requested stepmom's email and phone number upon hearing this.
However, I personally think it may be too late to have an engagement party, regardless of other life events that have occurred. FI's best man got engaged in December (they are our son's godparents) and plans to get married three months after us, and their engagement party has been in the works for about a month now. The majority of our guests would be at both events, and I just think that's overkill. Plus I think it would be kind of tacky for us to have one after theirs since we were engaged months before. Should we just tell our bridal parties thank you for the offer but we are not interested? Not everyone has an engagement party, after all, and we certainly do not need one.

Re: Too Late for Engagement Party....I Think?

• I would probably decline the party, or ask them to reframe it as a celebration of your upcoming marriage. You certainly shouldn't have to skip out on all pre-wedding celebrations, especially because it was your son's health that kept you from celebrating. However, it should be fairly low-key so that guests know you don't expect gifts. They could make it a "meet the families" night, a "Singinchick and Mr Singinchick are gettin' hitched" brunch, or a "hey let's hang out at a bar because weddings are cool" evening.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • When would it be for? If it's soon, I would be ok with it, but not if you wait much longer. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think the window has closed on the engagement party, but you can have a whatever reason party anytime. 
  • When is your wedding? If you don't want an engagement party then you don't have to have one.  However if your engagement is going to be lengthy I think you could still have one as long as its not too much later.  The people you would be inviting would certainlty understand the circumstances behind it being a littler late. 

If your wedding is this year, you could either do a low key get-together or just skip it and save the partying for a bridal shower/luncheon, B-Parties or whatever else you want.

• singinchick13singinchick13 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    My guess would be at least a month from now....so I'm inclined to agree that an 'engagement party' is not in the cards. A fun night out with friends and family can happen anytime I suppose.

ETA: The party, not the wedding. Wedding will be 1 year and 4 months away.
  • I absolutely think you can still have an engagement party if your wedding is 1 year and 4 months away. Mine is May of 2015, and our engagement party is in March of this year. I have read that etiquette states an engagement party can be anywhere from 1-4 months after the engagement. Enjoy it! Plus you have just been through so much! You need a party :)
  • Since your wedding is still over a year away I think if someone wants to host an engagement  party that is totally fine.  If your wedding was within a year I'd say pass, but they still have plenty of time between both parties.  Just make sure whoever is invited to the engagement party is invited to the actual wedding. 

last year my parents were going to host an engagement party for us in December (we got engaged in August) as a "holiday" type get together for close family and friends, but we decided to pass on the offer since we were getting married in June.

Anniversary
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    It is not your MOH's responsibility to throw you an engagement party.  This is traditionally done by the parents.  I didn't have one.  My daughter didn't have one.  I think that you should decline any offers of an engagement party at this stage and go ahead with planning a lovely wedding.
    Why wait so long for the wedding?  Just curious.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We have always talked about getting married in June of 2015. Regardless of complications, we figured we would take time to get used to caring for or son and enjoy being new parents. Now that we have gotten into a good routine and I am on maternity for likely 6 more months we are starting to put plans in motion. I will feel much more comfortable going back to work knowing that most things have been taken care of in terms of booking and deposits. We are also getting excellent rates from our vendors as our contracts will not change between now and then, and many offer a discount for booking early. Finally, I am an extremely meticulous planner and like to have every single detail worked out very early on for most things. That way there is no need to rush at the last minute, especially with things we are putting together ourselves. FTR I was the same way with the baby stuff, had the nursery all set up and decorated about 2 months before DS was born and he was 3 weeks early!!
  • I think you can have the party if MOH has offered to throw it for you.  I would not side-eye you at all: there's plenty of time before the wedding, and your son's health is the reason you did not celebrate sooner.

Disclosure: looking back on things, our e-party was too long after our engagement.  We got engaged in late September 2012 and then Hurricane Sandy decimated our home just a few weeks later.  We were displaced, all our belongings were destroyed, the whole shebang.  It took us many months to find a new place and get settled.  After we had moved and settled, FPILs offered an e-party in summer 2013.  In retrospect we should have declined because it was too late, but we were excited and accepted the party.  It was a lovely, low-key brunch, and we had a fantastic time, but now that I'm active on TK I realize 10 months later was too late.  (FWIW, we are getting married in May 2015, so it was well over 1.5 years before the wedding... at least they aren't back to back).  Really in retrospect, I sort of wish we had added a ceremony in the morning and just had a super-small private brunch wedding (whoops, accidental confession!)

So in perspective with the faux pas that was our e-party timing, engaged in October and e-party in February is nothing to me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I have seen other threads about this and I am inclined to agree, but our bridal party and others seem to think differently.

FI and I got engaged in October, less than a week after our son was born. We knew throughout my pregnancy there were complications and DS would have to be on ventilation and have major surgery if he was going to make it. So from the moment he was born he was taken and immediately put on ventilation. He went into surgery at 11 days old and we were told it was possible he may not make it. This was a very difficult time for us, but the procedure went much better than expected, and he was breathing on his own and feeding orally within 2 weeks, and home at a month old. There have not been any complications.
    Due to prioritizing our son's health we did not even begin to talk about wedding preparations until just before Christmas, and over the holidays we began to select our bridal party. At the time FI's best man implied planning with my MOH(i asked her to be part of wp about a week later) an engagement party for us. We heard nothing more about it until this week when my MOH told me that another one of my BM's told her not to even bother because it is "my parents' responsibility" to throw this party. I do realize that traditionally that is the convention, but I thought anyone who offers can throw this type of party. My family would love to assist with such a thing and absolutely contribute the majority of finances, but they do not know the custom because my mom is not involved and my stepmom is from Jamaica. 
    I told my MOH I didn't think stepmom was planning anything as far as I knew, but was sure she would love to cohost/be included in planning and provide financially if such an event was being thrown(my parents never want my friends to spend money, they are always happy to contribute-stepmom did the same for my baby shower). MOH immediately requested stepmom's email and phone number upon hearing this.
    However, I personally think it may be too late to have an engagement party, regardless of other life events that have occurred. FI's best man got engaged in December (they are our son's godparents) and plans to get married three months after us, and their engagement party has been in the works for about a month now. The majority of our guests would be at both events, and I just think that's overkill. Plus I think it would be kind of tacky for us to have one after theirs since we were engaged months before. Should we just tell our bridal parties thank you for the offer but we are not interested? Not everyone has an engagement party, after all, and we certainly do not need one.
    I think if they offer, there is no problem accepting. No one is going to hold the fact that you were caring for your sick son against you and it's only been since October. I see nothing wrong with it and it sounds like you are a very caring and deserving person- enjoy,

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards