Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Not sure where to begin...

My fiancé and I have been engaged for almost 2 years now and we have both recently graduated from college so I suppose it's time to start the wedding planning finally. However I'm really not even sure where to begin! We both know we don't want to get married anywhere near our hometown... But we would like to keep it on the east coast. We also want a small wedding and something more non traditional than the average wedding. We want to keep it non religious as well and we don't want a huge reception where everyone dances. Any suggestions on where to start?

Re: Not sure where to begin...

• @mc4238

I personally would get out of debt first but that's just me.

When planning the first thing you should do is start with figuring out what your budget is. Don't do anything without deciding what your budget is
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    The most economical wedding would be an afternoon ceremony in a park, with cake and punch for your guests after the ceremony.  The cake can be home made or a decorated sheet cake from the grocery store.  Just make sure there is a seat for every one.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Easiest way to start is to draw up a list of people you would like to have at your wedding. Then, independently of the list, come up with your overall budget what you can spend. This then dictates what kind of event you are able to have, such as afternoon cake and punch or a Saturday night dinner. Also remember, to include the amount you would like to spend on attire, flowers, gifts, stationery etc. These costs can sneak up on people

Many people (wrongly) start backwards and think of the kind of event they want and then figure out how many people they can afford to invite. This is a recipe for overspending and drama. It is far more important to have the people you would like there.

Obviously, etiquette rules are in place to host your guests properly. A reception is a thank you to your guests for witnessing your wedding. So remember that it is your wedding day, but they are being honoured at the reception by you for coming- so they should be treated as such. 
    1.) If you are not serving a meal, your wedding and reception cannot fall during a meal time (such as, the ceremony cannot start during 11:30-2:30 and 5pm-9pm)
    2.) It is your responsibility to host them properly. No potlucks, pay for your own food, or too little food. Casual food is absolutely fine for a casual wedding.
    3.) You must host drinks  as well. No cash bars. Dry weddings or beer and wine only (with no cash bar option) are perfectly acceptable. 
    4.) Everyone must have a seat.

Sometimes restaurants have private dinning rooms, or you can rent out the whole place for a set time- this can be an inexpensive option then renting a  hall and bringing in a caterer if you would like it to occur during a meal time.

Brunch weddings or afternoon tea weddings are also a great inexpensive option!

Good luck and have fun. 
  • I would start by deciding what your budget is for the wedding. Then make up a list of the must invite guests. As far as budget friendly, nontraditional optioms go... A park or garden can be inexpensive. You have the beach and the Appalachians... I am having an old late 1800s firehouse for my venue. Someone else on here is doing a brewery. There are all sorts of beautiful options.
  • Did she say she was in debt? I didn't see that so she may not need to get out of it. That said, determine your budget and if anyone is contributing to the wedding. Based upon that, determine the guest list and find the location and move forward from there.
  • Definitely figure out your budget first, then you guest list, and then look for a venue, etc.  You can have a wedding in a park, barn, museum, beach, where ever. And a simple cake and punch reception will be inexpensive and not a "typical" reception.

Good luck!

Anniversary
  • mlg78 said:
    Did she say she was in debt? I didn't see that so she may not need to get out of it. That said, determine your budget and if anyone is contributing to the wedding. Based upon that, determine the guest list and find the location and move forward from there.
    @mlg78

She edited it and took that part out. There was something in there about them being 10000 in debt or something like that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards