Chit Chat
Options

Premarital counseling with FI's father

My FI's father is a pastor and will be officiating our wedding. Premarital counseling is a requirement, and I think our current plan is to have every session with FFIL except for any relating to sex because that would be a little too awkward for us.  Anyways, do you think this is crazy?  His dad is an excellent pastor and very professional, but I'm starting to get nervous.

Re: Premarital counseling with FI's father

• Options
    Any other Methodists out there that can give me a heads up as to what the counseling entails? 
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldn't want a family member to the pre-marital counseling. I just wouldn't want family members that involved in our relationship.

• Options
    Yep. This is crazypants. Please find a different pastor for premarital counseling.
  • Options
    I also, would never do premarital counseling with a family member.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Noted. I'll talk to FI about it tonight and see what our options are.
  • Options
    firebabe6519firebabe6519 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Absolutely horrible idea! I have known 3 people to do this and every one of those relationships ended very badly. Family members are biased whether they mean to be or not. And quite frankly they tend to stir up problems between couples. It is not worth the stress to do premarital counseling with ones FFIL.

Also what if said family member were to ever disagree with or become angry with you? Do you trust human nature enough to not expect some of those dark little secrets or insecurities to not be shared?

That's just my opinion though.
  • Options
    Ditto all of the above. Find another pastor who can do the counselling for you.

• Options
    hlvonbhlvonb member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2014

@kns1988

Nope nope nope.

My fiancé's grandfather is performing part of the wedding ceremony and the other pastor is doing the rest of it and we opted to have the other pastor do the premarital counseling because there are some things that a family member (no matter what their profession is or how professional they are) just shouldn't know or be involved in. Also, if you and your fiancé / husband should ever have to sit down with the pastor for marital issues, you really don't want your FFIL to be the one to sit with you. It's just an all around bad idea.

• Options
    Totally agree with PP. I'd take it a step further and say that counseling by anyone with whom you have a 'relationship' (e.g. family OR friend) just isn't a wise idea and is actually frowned upon ethically as a "dual relationship". Objectivity will never happen, no matter how well intentioned or professional he may be, because at the end of the day, he has personal, vested interest in the outcome. No doubt he's a fantastic pastor and him being officiant will make your wedding so very special. Best to leave it at that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah, I have to agree with pps.

During our counseling, I know a common discussion was family, both H's concerns about mine and mine about his.  We couldn't do that if our counselor was family...

Or even other things like finances.  I wouldn't want one of our parents hearing that stuff because it's not their business.  It's up to US as husband and wife to resolve those kinds of problems.  

It would be very hard for them to stay objective.

SaveSave
  • Options
    I'm sure your FI's dad can refer you to another minister. Or call the equivalent of the Catholic diocese (sorry, that's my only reference point) and get the names of a couple of ministers near you.
  • Options
    Agree with the PPs - you do need an objective counselor. Can FFIL arrange for a church elder to do counseling? Or refer you to a professional Christian counselor?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    cruffino said:
    I'm sure your FI's dad can refer you to another minister. Or call the equivalent of the Catholic diocese (sorry, that's my only reference point) and get the names of a couple of ministers near you.
    I LOL'd at that. When I was in print journalism and covering the religion beat, I would not infrequently walk up to a pastor and out of long-held habit say, "Hi, Father!" before correcting myself. Always made them laugh, and often broke the ice.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I think it's inappropriate that he does it.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    I don't think it's in any way appropriate for your FFIL to be in charge of your premarital counseling.

It's like doctors, it's considered unethical for a doctor to treat a member of their family except when NOT treating them would result in loss of life. The reason for that is because, when it comes to your family, you're not objective - you're too invested in it to be able to make clear decisions.

I don't see how it's any different for a pastor. Professional though he may be, he's invested in his son's life, and in yours, and may end up making comments, because he wants so much to help you, that may actually be harmful in the long-term.

FWIW, FI's uncle is officiating for us, and wants us to do "marriage prep", which I've agreed to. He does not want to be our marriage prep facilitator, and I am SO thankful for that.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    Agreed with PPs, this is a bad idea.  In addition to the other concerns brought up, do you really think you and your FI could be totally honest and forthcoming with his father?  There is no way I could talk to my FIL about saving/spending habits or sharing responsibilities.  

One of the best takeaways that we learned from counseling is this: before you are married, your immediate family is your parents, siblings and any children.  When you get married, your spouse becomes your immediate family and the others become your extended family.  It's not about the terminology, but more that your first responsibility is now to your spouse, not your parents.  I don't think any father could really share that.  
  • Options
    Like others said, it's not a good idea. And frankly, I'm surprised your FFIL even offered to do your counseling since it's unethical. There's a very clear conflict of interest.
  • Options
    Put me in the "Don't Do It" camp. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I totally agree with PPs.  And have a story.

One of my best friends from college got married, and her FI's father was the officiant.  They did premarital counseling together, but didn't talk too much about family situations/sex.  He gave them books to read and surveys/questionnaires to fill out and discuss with each other without him around.

Then came the ceremony... the sermon or message was ALL about how he needed to "achieve great things for his family" and how she needed to "be his cheerleader and support his efforts unconditionally" and "submit to his will so he can take care of you".  Add more accolades for the groom and instructions for the bride to just encourage him and submit to whatever he wants you to do.  If I wasn't in the wedding, I may have walked out.  She didn't seem to mind too much, and they're still happily married, but his bias towards his son/personal beliefs on marriage seemed to trump theirs and took over the ceremony.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards