Honeymoon Discussions

Belize Honeymoon Advice

We are planning a honeymoon to Belize this spring. Any advice on places to stay/not stay or what areas are best to see? 
Anyone have any issues getting from Belize City to the resort locations??

Re: Belize Honeymoon Advice

• We have not been to Belize but it was on our list of possible places for our honeymoon, so I did look into it quite a bit. How long will you be there? If we had chosen to go there, we were planning on doing 4 or 5 nights in San Ignacio and then 4 or 5 nights at the beach. Seems like there are lots of activities available around San Ignacio and we loved the look of Ka'ana Boutique Resort. For the beach time, we were interested in Coco Plum Island Resort, but I think a lot of people go to Ambergris Cay for beach time. Depending on how long you have, your budget, and what you want to do, I think a lot of the beach resorts do some excursions to the ruins/rain forest. Look at Hamanasi Adventure Resort as it appears to get really good reviews on tripadvisor. I think a lot of the resorts will provide transportation from the airport, but you may want to email the resorts to get details about that. Good luck with planning, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time :)
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2013
    We went to Ambergris Caye for vacation a few years ago.  I don't recommend it if you are going for the beach.  I never once went in the water from the shoreline.....there was too much sea grass.  The place we stayed at would rake what came in on the sand each morning, but it was still always there.  It just looked slimy. 

ETA - I've heard Placencia is nice.
  • We went to Belize a few years ago-we first stayed at the Black Rock Lodge out in the Cayo and LOVED it. It's a eco-resort, they grow a lot of their own food, and everything we ate was amazing. We took a day trip to Tikal and to Actun Tunich Miknal, which was one of the most incredible experiences of my life. 

If you want a more luxurious resort, Chaa Creek is on the same road. We canoed down to it and it's definitely a beautiful place, just not our style. 

We then went out to Ambergris, I can't remember the name of the hotel we stayed at. It was fine, but nothing special. The beaches are NOT nice, the reef is very close so there is a lot of seaweed/detritus that washes up. The snorkeling is some of the best in the world (on the reef) but that's really the only reason to go to Ambergris, IMO. 

We did not make it to Placencia, but friends that went there said the beaches were very nice and low key. If you want nice sand, you will need to go there.

Going to the Cayo, we had the resort pick us up from the airport. Going to Ambergris, we took the public bus from San Ignacio to Belize City, then walked from the bus station to the ferry. We definitely felt uneasy walking the 15 minutes through Belize City (and we live in NYC) but we survived just fine. 
  • We have looked at Belize too - @daria24 did you notice any issue with bugs?? I've been reading reviews and that seems to be a common concern.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been looking at belize for honeymoons as well FI really wants to go. our travel agent is working on a package for us, at Turtle Inn and/or Mata Chica anyone ever been there? Our travel agent did say a down side to Belize was the mosquitos...  I don't know how badly either...

Anniversary

• tcnoble said:

We have looked at Belize too - @daria24 did you notice any issue with bugs?? I've been reading reviews and that seems to be a common concern.

We were there at the beginning of December and had no problems with bugs-in the Cayo, at Tikal, or out in Ambergris. We didn't even bring bug spray, and I know our resort in the Cayo didn't do any spraying. I don't know about any other time of year though, December is the start of the dry season. Oh we did have tarantulas wandering around at night, but I don't think that's what you mean, though now I've probably really frightened you off!

On the other hand I just came back from Puerto Rico last week and was eaten alive everywhere we went.
  • Has anyone been to Belize in June, I know it's the start of the rainy season, but how bad will it be mid June?

Anniversary

• I am going on cruise that stops in Belize mid-end of June. 

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32706/6/Belize-City has a lot of info about average weather and precipitation in June.

I have heard there can be a lot of mosquitos that time of year, especially if going into the jungle areas.  So be prepared with bug spray.

In June, you have about a 50/50 chance of some rain, so you may want to pack an umbrella or something just in case. I don't know about Belize in particular, but we get summer monsoons where I live in AZ and I absolutely love the monsoon rains. It can rain pretty hard sometimes, but its usually short lasting and usually comes in the evening or night time.  It rarely will rain all day long. So, I love that it will be okay during the day, either sunny or partly cloudy, and then you get to fall asleep to a nice rainstorm.  I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming it may be the same in Belize. But, weather is also unpredictable, so you kind of need to be prepared for sun and possible rain.

• We've been to Belize before on vacation and absolutely loved it! Quite a few of our friends went on their honeymoon there as well. They all stayed at Victoria House, we stayed at Las Terrazas. Both of these are in Ambergis Caye so if that is not where you're planning to go then disregard! I can recommend both of them but they are on the pricey side.

We went in June and it was definitely rainy season but nothing to ruin our vacation. Maybe rain in the morning or an afternoon shower and one very large thunderstorm at night, that's all- nothing to be concerned about. The beaches will be dependent on where you stay. Our hotel groomed the beach every morning so there was no seaweed, but when we took our bikes out or went on a walk to Palapa's (a must go!) there was a lot more debris.

If you are going around the middle of June, then you should plan to go to San Pedro for at least a day as that is when their Lobsterfest is! It is awesome and so much fun. http://sanpedrolobsterfest.com

Hope that helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Love_Cam thank you!  We were planning to split up our time half of the time in Ambergis Caye (Matachica) and the other half at Ka'an resort.  Our travel agent put the rainy season in a much more negative light than you did.  So it's something to think about.

Anniversary

• Anytime! Let me know if there is anything else I can help with! It's a great place!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We went to Placencia, Belize last December/January. It is a beautiful country. We had no issues with travelling from the airport to Placencia. From the Belize City airport, we took a 30 minute plane ride in a small 12-seater that was arranged through our resort. We stayed at The Placencia Hotel, which is all-inclusive. The beach was fabulous. My avatar pic is actually a picture of the beach at the resort. However the resort was farther from town than we would have liked. It was about a 20-30 minute cab ride. If you decide on Placencia (which I strongly recommend), then I would look into renting a little cottage right in town. You will likely be on directly on the beach, but steps from the main street and all the fun. I recommend the Barefoot Bar for food and drinks. The best fruity slushy drinks!!

Also, when we were there it rained. A lot. But I think we were there during hurricane season. I can't be sure.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards