Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Underarm waxing?

Has anyone had any experience with underarm waxing before?  I'm very fair skinned but dark haired and (sorry if TMI) but I'm a bit worried that by the time my evening wedding gets started, there might be some "stubble" if I shaved in the morning.

I'm not sure I'll be able to STAND going the 4 weeks or whatever is needed to go without shaving before you can wax.  Legs, sure, pitts...eehhhhh...

Anyone done this?

Re: Underarm waxing?

• Options

I don't wax, but doesn't it pull the hair out at the root?  If so, you shouldn't have any problem with stubble. I always though the whole point of tolerating the pain of waxing is that you are hair free for a few weeks. 

Yeah, I don't think I could handle going long time without shaving either.  And I've never been a fan of waxing because I can't stand the pain of it.  And underarm is much more sensitive than legs, too (at least that has been my experience from laser hair removal treatments).

• Options
    Yeah I mean if I shave that morning, I'm worried about being stubbly, and am thus considering waxing. 

I've never waxed my underarms before, but I tolerate bikini just fine.  I'm kind of just wondering how horribly gross is it going to be to go weeks without shaving, and would someone who's done it say it was worth it?
  • Options
    As an esthetician I always warn my clients that it's very painful, much more so than a bikini wax so just an FYI, if you can take some ibuprofen or tylenol before hand I really recommend it, also don't wear a white shirt, the armpits are known to bleed when being waxed for the first time, I also would do it atleast a week - two weeks before your big day, some clients do bruise in that area and you'll be in pain and you won't want that as well! Also I would go to Sallys and buy some numbing spray or ask the salon if they have some, that really helps!
  • Options
    Has anyone had any experience with underarm waxing before?  I'm very fair skinned but dark haired and (sorry if TMI) but I'm a bit worried that by the time my evening wedding gets started, there might be some "stubble" if I shaved in the morning.

I'm not sure I'll be able to STAND going the 4 weeks or whatever is needed to go without shaving before you can wax.  Legs, sure, pitts...eehhhhh...

Anyone done this?
    Well, if you shave now early in the morning, what's it like by the evening?  That should give you a pretty good idea...

• Options
    You can also get a lidocaine cream to numb the area, if needed. 

• Options
    I started getting my underarms waxed this winter and it is one of the best "beauty splurges" I've ever done. I would definitely start growing it out now, in winter, while you can hide under sweaters and long sleeves and wait about 3 weeks. The hair gets softer and easier to wax after only a couple of times. I would definitely go a few times before the wedding in case of irritation and pinpoint bleeding but it lasts a while and I think its worth it. Maybe the first time it hurts, but getting your bikini area is worse, in my opinion. If there is a European Wax Center by you, they have packages where you can buy  sessions and get some free.
  • Options
    If you can afford it, or find a deal, laser is best. You still have to shave in between sessions but eventually the hair stops growing.  If you have enough time before your wedding, it might be worth considering.  Why yank it out temporarily when you can banish it for good? :)
  • Options
    As an esthetician I always warn my clients that it's very painful, much more so than a bikini wax so just an FYI, if you can take some ibuprofen or tylenol before hand I really recommend it, also don't wear a white shirt, the armpits are known to bleed when being waxed for the first time, I also would do it atleast a week - two weeks before your big day, some clients do bruise in that area and you'll be in pain and you won't want that as well! Also I would go to Sallys and buy some numbing spray or ask the salon if they have some, that really helps!
    AAAAAAH that is the stuff of my nightmares.

I was thinking about doing some waxing before the day of (to avoid having to on the honeymoon, haha!) and now I love my little Venus razor more than ever.
  • Options
    If you have a decent chunk of time between now and the wedding, try electrolysis. It's cheaper than laser hair removal, and is permanent (unlike laser hair removal) It hurts a little, and you have to go multiple times, but I have seen SUCH an improvement! I have a condition that causes the skin of my armpits to darken, so I'm doing electrolysis to hopefully help with that. Also, an awesome perk of electrolysis? Once you're done, you don't sweat from those follicles anymore! It's amazing!
  • Options
    If you can afford it, or find a deal, laser is best. You still have to shave in between sessions but eventually the hair stops growing.  If you have enough time before your wedding, it might be worth considering.  Why yank it out temporarily when you can banish it for good? :)

I agree with the laser hair removal.  You can often find deals for it on Groupon or Deal Chicken, so it may not be that expensive. It works best if you have dark hair, since it works by finding the pigments, so if you are blond or light hair, it won't be worth the cost because it probably won't get all the hair. 

Just make sure to go to a reputable place and that the technician knows what they are doing. Treatments should be 6-8 weeks apart and it can take up to 8-12 treatments to get permanent hair removal... so it can take 1.5 - 2 years to complete the process.  Legs are nearly painless, even on the higher levels.  Underarms and Bikini/Brazilian can be somewhat painful, but with those areas treatment is over in less than a minute, so it's not so bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards