Flowers

i'm i the only one who's going overboard with flowers??

Hi everyone, 
                     i'm suppose to be on a budget with my flowers and i'm going over the amount with all the excitement with my wedding plans. I reallly love my centerpieces they are tall vases and i checked out a few florist and most of them are about the same price (above $100). Anyways i've decided that since i really want the flowers i'm planning to cut down on invitations and favors.What do you guys think???

Re: i'm i the only one who's going overboard with flowers??

• Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is the wedding for you and your fiance. A budget is just allocated to whatever the two of you feel are important aspects. Depending on how far away your wedding is, and you've researched the cost for everything, spend your money any way you want.

The catering food/alcohol, photographer, and entertainment (DJ or band) takes up the bulk of the budget, around 70-80%. If after allocating for that you decide you want to spend the bulk of the remaining budget on flowers, no one will quibble with you as depends on YOUR priorities.

However, make sure you have made all the allocations for the budget items that take the bigger chunk before you decide to spend a lot on flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    Agreed. It's your money and it's up to you how you want to spend it. If you're able to swing it by shifting things around a re-prioritizing, why not? Everyone does this. Each couple has a different set of priorities when it comes to planning.

Some splurge on a band while others cut costs by opting for a DJ. We all make choices when it comes to food & drinks, decor, etc., etc.

Some brides choose to spend thousands upon thousands on a wedding dress while others purchase a modest dress so that funds can be allocated elsewhere.

Some brides aren't into flowers. If flowers are important to you, have fabulous flowers!

The only thing I think is really dumb is to go into actual debt for the sake of one of these costs. Stay within your means. If your centrepieces are going to max out your credit card, then you need to rethink your plans!

P.S. IMHO favours are generally lame and a total waste of money. You're hosting a giant party. Presumably your guests are already being treated to a fun event with food, drinks, dessert, music, entertainment, etc., etc. If you're able to save a couple hundred bucks by not having little truffles with cute ribbon or lavendar saches or some other lame trinket that noone needs... Go for it! Noone misses the favours!
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Would all your centerpieces be tall?  You could always do half the centerpieces low while the rest would be tall...this would give some dimension to your venue as well as cut down on your flower costs.

• edited December 2011
    I say allocate more money for flowers. The other day I received a beautiful invitation in the mail, it was Vera Wang, I was thinking of using a similar invitation for my wedding and they cost about $15 per invitation. I looked at the invitation for about 30 seconds, tool the response card out and threw the invitation in the trash. After that I realized there was no way I was getting expensive invitations because people ultimately throw them away. Get the cheaply at Vistaprint.com or somewhere like that and use your money for something that is important to you. I personally LOVE flowers and plan on having massive centerpieces but I talked to my FSIL and she claims that she never remembers what flowers people have but I always do. So if flowers are important go for it! Plus flowers are often pictured in the background of many photos. $100 for a tall centerpiece is fairly cheap, you are very lucky!
  • edited December 2011
    Same here I'm going waaaay over board with flowers but I love them. And what I did was trim back somewhere else
  • iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Favors are ok to cut down with.

• iloveu4everiloveu4ever member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We plan on not even having favors.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards