Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Wedding Cinematography/Videography Standard?

Hi! Please, help me. I'm trying to educate my husband that it is standard for wedding cinematographers/videographers to record food at a wedding.

So, food at a wedding is a standard/regular detail of a wedding that cinematographers/videographers record. This is correct?

We didn't need to specifically ask them to record video of our food, correct?

Best Answers

Re: Wedding Cinematography/Videography Standard?

• We hired wedding videographers who said regards to our cocktail hour, "We do not have any footage of the food. We do our best to capture all the details of the day, however, were unaware that the food was something you wanted captured. I apologize that we do not have that footage for you." So, they were never going to video record our food. Aren't they supposed to video record everything? Our food was a huge expense and detail of our wedding. They did video record the cake, of course, who doesn't, right? Isn't cake food ? Also, it's a wedding detail. Isn't all of the food at a wedding a standard/regular detail of a wedding that every videographer records, unless otherwise, they're asked not to, right? We should have not needed to specifically ask them to record video of our food, right? By the way, the food included Paella cooking out in the open air for everyone to see. It looked like a beautiful piece of artwork. We thought they would capture video shots of our appetizers, too. We thought there would be video footage of food on display such as the above.
  • I think it's odd to care about having video footage of your food. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would never expect a photographer or videographer to film food. Maybe the dessert table. But not the food.
  • Are you really going to sit around years from now and want to watch a montage of your wedding food.

I'm sure your videographer was trying to catch great moments between you and your new husband and of your guests enjoying themselves, not record your food being plated. So yes, I would expect that you'd need to specify to your videographer that you wanted food shots.

Seriously, I would let this one go. You are happily married and had a beautiful wedding! 
  • Is this a serious question?

• Wow! I'm very surprised to get some critical responses. If you have nothing good/nice to say. Keep it to yourself. Who are some of you to judge. I didn't ask for judgements. I asked for answers. I did get some answers. Thank you to those who kindly provided them.
  • edited February 2014
    My videographer did not get footage of food, my photog did. I would expect a photog to (i don't know what anyone does with these pics ), but would not expect a videographer to...and im in the industry (not weddings tho ).

Sorry you didn't get them and wanted them. On the upside, 25 years from now you'll be glad to have the video and prolly won't miss the missing food shots.

Eta I would have thought they would have gotten shots of the paella, but still am not surprised they didn't. Typically they eat when the food would be shot so they can be ready to start shooting the dances and cake cutting. If you did not tell them you were having the cool food spectacle i would not expect them to be prepared to shoot when it happened. Sorry.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• How does your husband's opinion differ? And how long have you been married? It's hard to know how to educate him if I don't know what he's saying.
  • Pictures/video of your wedding food is not what you are paying your photographer/videographer for. You are paying them to capture your ceremony and the emotions of the people of you, your H and those at your wedding.

And stop trying to educate your husband about these things. Your wedding is over with. What do you expect your H or videographer to do? Recreate your wedding just so you get your dumb food montage? And honestly if the worst thing that happened was that you didn't get a video of your food then count yourself lucky, have a drink and make love to your husband.

• When you post on a public forum, your comments are in a position to be scrutinized and people will respond as they wish.

What's important to note here, regardless of whether you like the commentary or not is that essentially everyone is saying that your expectations are unreasonable, which is answering your original question.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards