Wedding Invitations & Paper

Reception to follow?

2»

Re: Reception to follow?

• Jen4948 said:
    You realize that your crappy attitude that you have had lately is kind of tiring. This is not solely an etiquette forum. If you want one of those then may I suggest you create a "I love Emily Post" forum so you cans spout her godly etiquette word there. Oh and you can still be creative and fun and still stick to proper etiquette. Following etiquette does not mean you have to shove a stick up your butt.

Oh, dear.  I just might faint.

Don't forget to clutch those pearls first. It wouldn't be proper to faint without clutching your pearls.
    Wow.  This is something I never thought I'd see here.  The polar vortex must have spread into hell.
    And this is suppose to mean...?
    Just that I never expected to see you and CMGragain duking it out over an issue here.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    @Jen4948 - ah gotcha. It is getting late so my brain was like "huh?" Just imagine a dog tilting their head to the side with a confused expression LOL. 

Most times I agree with CMGr in regards to guest comfort etiquette issues. But when it comes to invites I realize there are certain ways to word things so that they make sense when you read it but I also think that you should be able to have a little fun with your invites and not all invites have to be so formal/traditional. As long as you spell your guests name right and provide them with all the necessary info and don't include registry info then you can be free to be a bit creative 

And even though etiquette is very important I just think that she is a bit too stringent, especially with this. To call someone ignorant and foolish for putting something in their invites that isn't specifically stated as okay by Emily Post or the like is a bit ridiculous .

• @Jen4948 - ah gotcha. It is getting late so my brain was like "huh?" Just imagine a dog tilting their head to the side with a confused expression LOL. 

Most times I agree with CMGr in regards to guest comfort etiquette issues. But when it comes to invites I realize there are certain ways to word things so that they make sense when you read it but I also think that you should be able to have a little fun with your invites and not all invites have to be so formal/traditional. As long as you spell your guests name right and provide them with all the necessary info and don't include registry info then you can be free to be a bit creative 

And even though etiquette is very important I just think that she is a bit too stringent, especially with this. To call someone ignorant and foolish for putting something in their invites that isn't specifically stated as okay by Emily Post or the like is a bit ridiculous .

I agree with you about that.  There are some issues where I think Miss Manners or the Posts would speak up and say that something isn't a good idea, like listing a deceased parent or including registry information or getting too original with wording to the point that the actual request for the guest's attendance and the logistical information gets buried.

But something like "half-past vs. half-after" or "reception vs. dinner and dancing" just doesn't seem like any big deal to me-and I think Miss Manners or the Posts aren't going to condemn someone as rude for picking one over the other because I don't think they hold people to standards quite that high.  Those may not be perfect etiquette, but I think etiquette experts don't expect perfection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards