Chit Chat

**** UPDATE ***** -Just tell us if he got the job or not already - and other VENTING going on

lyndausvilyndausvi mod
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited February 2014 in Chit Chat
Need to vent and can't to our families just yet.

So DH started interviewing for his dream job in the beginning of NOVEMBER (in another state).  Had 4 phone/Skype interviews.   They wanted to fly him out for a tasting, but with Thanksgiving they could not to it until of Dec 10th.  He goes, said it went great.     They said they had a few more tasting would get back to us "around Christmas".  

Never heard from them.  New Years comes and goes and DH sends a follow-up email around the 9th of Januaray.   Basically saying "Happy New Year, hope the search is going well.  Any feedback you can provide me would be helpful".   Gets a reply saying something like  "tastings got behind because of the holidays will be in touch soon."

In the meantime, our lease is up today.  The manager is awesome.  We told him the deal back in December and he has been great.   Fact is we do like it here and he does like his job, it's just the other job is really a dream job.   So on Tuesday we told the manager we would renew (but have not actually signed it yet).     

This morning DH checks his email and the job sent an email overnight asking if he was still interested.   Really?    Of course he emailed back saying yes, but how long do we now have to wait to see if he is actually getting an offer or not?  GRRR

Oh and DH just bought a huge ass TV for the Super Bowl that has not been delivered yet and not sure it will on time. (mind you our 55" is just fine)   And we are having a super bowl party with a bunch of chefs and now I'm intimated about cooking for them.  I asked DH if he wanted me to make a crockpot of meatballs for sandwiches.  He said "Um, nooooo, you don't have to".  Which of course I took as  "sorry baby they are not good enough for the chefs".

Thanks for letting me vent.   Short day work day then I think wine is in order.

*** UPDATE 

DH is their number 1 canidate.   They say they are a little concerned that he has changed jobs twice in 3 years and that he is more of a hotel chef not a private club chef.  Both very valid concerns.   He assured them that the only reason he even applied for this job not a full year after taking his current job was he really wants to get back into private clubs.   He let them know we were about to renew our lease and if he doesn't get this job he was going to stay at his current job.  It was just one of those things that when your dream job comes up you have to go for it. (private club chefs have a history of staying in their position for many years so they just don't come available as often).

He has to send over 6 references to them and we should here back soon.      3 of the references are from directors of private clubs who have worked with DH in the past and can contest he is prefect for the job.  

We might be moving soon !!!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: **** UPDATE ***** -Just tell us if he got the job or not already - and other VENTING going on

• wow I can see why you would be frustrated with the delays >two months is crazy! 

sending good vibes for your hubby 

• Ugh. I would be frustrated by that, too. Also, I would be way too intimidated to cook for the chefs!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • That is SO frustrating!!! I really hope DH hears something soon. Hopefully your TV will be delivered too, but Sunday! Maybe DH can suggest something for you to cook, or he can handle the cooking for his chef friends (I would def be too intimidated to cook for them!)

Here is some Vino to get you through! Actually, it might be whiskey, but whatever!

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Are you telling me that chefs don't like a good meatball and mozz sandwich?  Or other "simple" super bowl fare?  That is very sad.  They are missing out on some yummy eats.

I would tell your H that he can cook since he seems to know what his chef friends will like and not like which will then take the pressure off of you.  Or you could just say  "screw it" and serve them wings, queso made with velveeta and rotel tomatos, meatballs, chips and dip and some cold miller lites :)

Hope your H finds something out soon.  It is so irritating when companies just drag you along and take forever to tell you yes or no.  

• The "problem" (use that term loosely) is DH has to work all weekend.  Including Sunday.  He will be getting off just before kick off.     So it's just harder for him to cook.

Anyway, I do make ritz cracker-parmasean cheese chicken nuggets that are always a hit so I will do those.  Then I think we will make a roast (pork or beef, not sure) in the crockpot for sandwiches, pepperoni rolls, mango/avocado salsa, basic chips and salsa, hummus.    I'm sure a few other things that we will be inspired to make once we go to the store.

These guys are all about protein and not really veggie fans so I don't have to worry about not having enough vegetarian stuff.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Are you telling me that chefs don't like a good meatball and mozz sandwich?  Or other "simple" super bowl fare?  That is very sad.  They are missing out on some yummy eats.

I would tell your H that he can cook since he seems to know what his chef friends will like and not like which will then take the pressure off of you.  Or you could just say  "screw it" and serve them wings, queso made with velveeta and rotel tomatos, meatballs, chips and dip and some cold miller lites :)

Hope your H finds something out soon.  It is so irritating when companies just drag you along and take forever to tell you yes or no.  
    I'm say DH doesn't think MY meatballs are good enough.  Not meatballs in general.  And he didn't actually say that, it was the vibe/tone I got from the way he said I didn't have to make them.   

About to start my period, so I'm a little sensitive these days.

• I am sure your meatballs are delicious @lyndausvi!

And what you are planning on making sounds pretty darn tasty as well. 

• Okay,  they just texted DH to say "let's talk this weekend".     Um, that's good right?

• I think so!  If they weren't interested I would hope they would just email him that now rather then drag it out into the weekend.

• I'm right there with your husband. Interviewed for a position that would require a cross country move in October, second interview in November. I checked in last week and they said candidates will be hearing "soon" which they also told me in early december.

• I'm right there with your husband. Interviewed for a position that would require a cross country move in October, second interview in November. I checked in last week and they said candidates will be hearing "soon" which they also told me in early december.
    Frustrating.  It's like your life is on hold.   

DH and I went day drinking on Monday afternoon .  Talked and decided we would tell the apartment manager we will renew the lease.   Enjoy the summer here like we did last year (we have only been here a year today).    He will give the job another year, then start looking again.     He seemed good with going in that direction. Now a few days later we find he is very much in the hunt.   It's all good, though.    Things happen for a reason.

@maggie0829 - they do not have a real HR department.  They only work Thursday - Sunday this time of year (7 days a week in the summer).  So it's not a normal business hour operation.

• Even so, if they don't want him or aren't interested then hopefully they would have just called/ emailed/texted him that rather then say "lets talk this weekend."  Pointless to waste their and his time by stretching it out over another day or two.

• Lynda, you could make pepperoini pull apart bread!  That is what I'm making on Sunday for my brother's house.  It looks delicious!  I don't have the recipe I'm using here at work, but I will come back later and post it.  The ingredients are: 2 cans of either biscuit or pizza dough, 1 packet pepperoni, olive oil, mozz cheese, and oregano.  It looks super easy and you cook it up in a bundt pan.
  • Crockpot meatballs for sandwiches RULE in my opinion. @lyndausvi
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lynda, you could make pepperoini pull apart bread!  That is what I'm making on Sunday for my brother's house.  It looks delicious!  I don't have the recipe I'm using here at work, but I will come back later and post it.  The ingredients are: 2 cans of either biscuit or pizza dough, 1 packet pepperoni, olive oil, mozz cheese, and oregano.  It looks super easy and you cook it up in a bundt pan.
    We just use standard Pillsbury pizza dough.  Roll it out, add a layer of cheese, then a layer of pepperoni and roll it back up.  Then slice the roll, put them on a cookie sheet then bake them.    Take them out, add a side of sauce.  DONE.

• tcnoble said:
    Crockpot meatballs for sandwiches RULE in my opinion. @lyndausvi
    I think so also.   I make mini-meatballs that cook all day.  Yum.  DH seems to like it when I cook them for the 2 of us.    

::shrugs:: 

We make a good shredding pork or beef in the slow cooker also.  It's all good.

• Okay now this thread is making me really hungry.

• Update above.

• Yay!!  It sounds promising

• How exciting!

I'm sure your meatballs are fab. I'm always insecure about my cooking with Fi and his friends (trained with Thomas Keller!), but they seem to love it.

I even recently found out that Fi loves frozen fish sticks too. :D I fall more in love with him every day!
  • Oh snap! Sounds like he's got this in the bag! Keeping fingers & toes crossed that it's "official" soon.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We didn't do meatballs.  We went with a slowed cooked pot roast.  Boy does it smell good.  I'm hungry just sitting here hoping 6pm gets here soon.

I think "foodies" (hate that term BTW) would be really disappointed how top chefs really eat.  Let's just say they are not nearly as snobby has their foodie clients are.

• I hope you hear soon! MH was waiting on a job that would move both of us to different states and it was high anxiety waiting for the answer.
  • Damnit - I was hoping for a chance to meet you and Chef D now that DD is moving so close to Indy.  Poopy for me but sending very positive vibes your way!

Sooo Lynda, if someone was to hypothetically want to make mango/avocado salsa like an executive chef would serve  his friends on SuperBowl Sunday, exactly HOW would they go about doing that?
  • Thank kmmssg.

Well it's actually my "recipe" and I use that term loosing because it's all really based on look and taste.  

avocado
    mango
    salt
    pepper
    cilantro
    lime

I cut of the avocado and mango in cubes and throw them in a bowl.   Add the other ingredients to taste.

• Thanks Lynda!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards