Chit Chat
Options

REALLY?!? Bad marketing (NWR, but Polar Vortex-related)

I work in news.

We got a press release today from an organisation telling us about their Wednesday night seminar on global warming and its effects on climate and farming and etc.

Y'all, we're in the midst of digging out of an 8-inch snow fall, Wednesday's weather forecast is snow and ice mixed with sleet and freezing rain, and Saturday we're supposed to get another round of snow.

This might not be the *BEST* time to send round fliers with the words: THE WORLD IS WARMING AT AN ALARMING RATE AND WE COULD ALL STARVE TO DEATH in shouty caps at the top.
Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'

Re: REALLY?!? Bad marketing (NWR, but Polar Vortex-related)

• Options
    Wait, it's warming? Where? Can I go there? Chicago is not very fun this winter. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • Options
    According to the theory of global warming (I'm going to say theory because I am in no mood whatsoever to get into a debate with people on wether or not it's true- that is a conversation that never goes anywhere good, even when talking to otherwise reasonable people) the raising temperatures causes more extreme weather- meaning harsher, colder winters and hotter summers, with more severe storms in all seasons.  So according to the theory, you could blame the harsh weather on global warming.  
    Although I doubt anyone digging themselves out of 8 inches of snow really cares to discuss farming right now.  They should at least tailor their message to acknowledge the crazy snow we've been having.  
    This is my larger point. It's about timing and tailoring your message. If they had said, "Global warming is responsible for this crazy weather," I would have been interested.

I give exactly zero fucks about what this means for July. It's February, and I just dug my car out of eight inches of snow. Talk to me about July when I can see grass again, mmkay?
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited February 2014
    According to the theory of global warming (I'm going to say theory because I am in no mood whatsoever to get into a debate with people on wether or not it's true- that is a conversation that never goes anywhere good, even when talking to otherwise reasonable people) the raising temperatures causes more extreme weather- meaning harsher, colder winters and hotter summers, with more severe storms in all seasons.  So according to the theory, you could blame the harsh weather on global warming.  
    Although I doubt anyone digging themselves out of 8 inches of snow really cares to discuss farming right now.  They should at least tailor their message to acknowledge the crazy snow we've been having.  
    This is my larger point. It's about timing and tailoring your message. If they had said, "Global warming is responsible for this crazy weather," I would have been interested.

I give exactly zero fucks about what this means for July. It's February, and I just dug my car out of eight inches of snow. Talk to me about July when I can see grass again, mmkay?
    That's totally understandable.  I just mentioned the global warming stuff because lately my news feed on FB has been clogged with "omg it's snowing and cold take that global warming lol" and it's getting on my nerves, I don't care so much if they believe it or not, but they should at least know what the theory is before they say stuff like that, because this would be evidence to support it, not disprove it.  
    Edited because quote box popped up twice for some reason
  • Options
    I would like to go to my condo and never come back. Anyone headed @Chipmunk415 's way is welcome to crash, as the condo is also in FL. I always have wine, and whatever snacks I find at Publix.

• Options
    It's 84 right now in Kissimmee.
  • Options
    @Cokezerofreak -- I'm booking plane tickets right now. I'll see you soon!
    Anniversary

• Options
    tmclawchicktmclawchick member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited February 2014
    It's 84 right now in Kissimmee.

D'oh! We were tossing around the idea of surprising DS for his birthday (next Thursday) with a trip to WDW, but opted against it. Now I'm kicking myself!

*edited for clarity*

• Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Forget Washington DC,  I should be going to FL. Does anyone have an extra couch? I will bring the wine!
  • Options
    I'm cold, it sucks. I want to see sprouting blossoms and am sooooo over this brown and gray stuff that we are obligated to call snow in upstate new york.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Ugh. I should have given DH tickets to Yankees spring training for his birthday. Instead we get Popsicles.
  • Options
    I'm cold, it sucks. I want to see sprouting blossoms and am sooooo over this brown and gray stuff that we are obligated to call snow in upstate new york.

Ditto! I'm SO OVER this winter. I don't know why I continue living in this state, knowing full well how awful winter is every year. I threw a hissy fit last night when I saw that we have a winter storm warning for Tuesday and Wednesday. Plus I start training for a half marathon this week, which means dragging my butt out into frigid temps to go running. Not ok.
  • Options
    Don't hate me for saying this but I wish it was cooler then I wouldn't have to turn on my a/c.  At night it's nice, though.   Come on down. I have a spare bedroom and couch.  Just need you out the week before the wedding.  ;)
  • Options
    I know its not exactly warm here..but the sun is out in Seattle! I have some couches y'all
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Said polar vortex is on its way to me, according to the Weather Network. Should hit tomorrow night. Joy.

• Options
    FFIL is flying down to Florida next week. I can't believe I'm jealous that he is going to be spending a week on a golf course, but the weather there is about a million times better than what we've got!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I heard on the news today(?) or yesterday that this is the coldest winter Minnesota has seen for 30 years... awesomesauce.

Wedding Black & White, Sepia
  • Options
    We have a spare room, couches, and wine here in Georgia! 

• Options
    We're planning a trip to the South (including Savannah, our favourite city) in April -- can't.hardly.wait!!

Also, @hoppersgirl25 -- how much time do you need to make the pint and wine glasses?
    Anniversary

• Options
    @HisGirlFriday13 I can make them in one night and send them out the next day!  Right now I have a code for 15% off (bemine15) til Valentine's.  Also, we haven't been to Savannah yet since we moved down here in May (we're just north of ATL in Alpharetta), but I've been dying to go.  A ton of people have told us how nice it is there and an old coworker of mine just moved there.

• Options
    We have a futon here in Texas! And kitty snuggles!
  • Options
    I cant wait for my cruise on the 21st. As the snow covers my car here in NYC, I keep telling myself its 2 1/2 weeks to sunshine and palm trees.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Fi and I are thinking about heading down to FL during my spring break in the middle of March.  I just.need.some.sun.

ETA: my Mac now does autocorrect.  I hate it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I need a trip down south!!! So over this crap.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards