Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

About 5 months until wedding... nothing booked. Help

Here's the back story. My fiance has a job where we have to get married this June or wait another year and half. No thank you. There is no ring on it YET but will be by the end of the month. With that said, I have done something looking around... nothing booked yet.

Dress: Appointments booked for this weekend at Lasting Bridal in Addison, Bridal Boutique in Lewisville, Mockingbird Bridal in Dallas and Stardust in Plano... may be stopping by Lulu's if time allows on Sunday.

Venues: Have some in the ft. worth/ Mansfield area.... My Fiance and I visited Ashton gardens, hidden springs and the Milestone. I didn't like any of them but the Milestone but my FI says that the Milestone is too small, which breaks my heart. We should be going to look valentines weekend. 

Stationary: I have not purchased anything here yet since we haven't found our venue.

Flowers/Pictures/DJ: should be using family friends...

Cakes/food ect... no clue.

Any help or suggestions that you can offer, I will gladly listen to. Thanks Dallas brides! (Trying not to freak out)

Re: About 5 months until wedding... nothing booked. Help

• Expected guest count? Budget? For some quick ideas, we have a vendor list at the top of the board. Are you open to Fridays and Sundays? Are you planning a church wedding (some churches require you to complete marriage preparation counseling)?
    Anniversary

• 250ish.... I wish I knew our budget. FI's parents say that they want pay for venue, food/drinks and DJ..... I am open to Fridays and Sundays, those actually work better for us. 

We are not planning a church wedding, but as a therapist, I do believe in premarital counseling.... 

I just feel really lost right now in all of this. 
  • Okay, I am going to seriously advise that you take a deep breath before you dive right in.

I'm not saying you absolutely can't plan a wedding in just a few months, but why can't you wait until your FI is relieved of whatever duties he has beginning in July? I get not wanting to wait one more second to be married. I had a long engagement and was soooo ready by the time I was married. However, waiting a year and a half-ish allowed us the time to plan exactly the wedding we wanted. If you're feeling overwhelmed already, it might be worth it to consider a wait. Especially because you will have much better luck finding vendors if you book a year or more out.

Okay, as for the budget: you need that nailed down before you plan anything, really. 250 guests will be pretty expensive to accommodate. I don't know much about venues in Ft. Worth, but for catering you should have lots of options. What kind of food are you thinking of?
    Anniversary

• Haha! There is no way we are waiting to be married. It would be a year and a halfish about before we could get married and he'd live 4-5 hours away. That's just not an option. I have 4.5ish months to plan a wedding....

I am not an overwhelmed easy person... yesterday I just had a lot going on. I have no doubts I can make this happen in 4.5 months... I just need to not stress eat :) hahaha! 

Anywho, I am really aware that it will be expensive to accommodate that many people. The reason I really don't know what my budget is (which I'm trying to get my Fiance to get me an answer) is because his parents would like to pay for the venue, food, bar, DJ, cigar bar, candy bar, photobooth and something else. My future MIL hasn't really given me an answer when I ask, just that her kids will have the best and she will spare no expense.... So, I have an idea of what that means but I certainly don't want to take advantage of that or feel like its a free-for-all.

As far as food, I don't know what we are looking for yet. I've found several venues where you do the food with them. My Fiance's family want it to be an amazingly fun and unforgettable party for all. I am a pretty thrifty girl. I appreciate them more than words wanting to pay for things first of all AND sort of giving me a sky is the limit kind of thing... But I want to honor them and stay within a budget and it helps me to know what I need to look for. 
  • Okay, just a suggestion.

Well, I totally recommend some place that includes your food.  It just makes things easier.  Hotels would be a good option for this, as they have onsite catering AND ballrooms big enough to accommodate large guest counts.  If you go the BYOCaterer route, some that I've seen mentioned here with good reviews were:

Gil's
    Celebration
    Black Eyed Pea
    Sonny Bryan's

I know one popular FW venue is the YWCA, but it is completely DIY and I don't know if it's big enough.

Just to give you an idea, we had somewhere around 250 guests in 2011 and our venue + food/beverage was $17K.  The food and beverage minimum at our venue was $10K.  If your FMIL is not giving you a set number, it might be worth it to present several options to her so that she gets a good idea of what she's looking at.
    Anniversary

• I will check out those places and thanks for the idea! We have given her some things... she just keeps saying she wants her kids to have the best! 
  • The YWCA will probably be booked (unless you don't care if it's on a weekend)! I booked my August wedding last October and it was one of the first dates available
  • That was my other thought. I'm not saying take the first available, but if you liked a place and they had a date on such short notice, I'd call that a sign.
    Anniversary

• So far all the places I have called still have dates available on Fridays or Sundays... which actually works better for us anyways. I talked my Fiance into The Milestone (I think)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards