Chit Chat

Yay for Tax Refunds!

Woot woot!

Just found out from DH that our tax refund was accepted and should be in our bank account today. We can finally plan our honeymoon now! We've been waiting to save up money, but with the end of medical school and the start of residency fast approaching, we weren't sure if we would have the funds in time to go before my residency starts in the summer. With this refund, we have more than enough to go. DH has already asked off for work. Tonight we're going to book everything. We're even able to splurge for a fancy hotel!

I cannot wait! We'll be spending a week in Orlando Florida, with tickets to all the Universal Studios theme parks. Yay!

Anniversary

Re: Yay for Tax Refunds!

• Sometimes the federal government doesn't suck. Yay! I love Orlando. Enjoy.
  • I was so shocked that I got my refund so early! I filed on the 27th (last Monday), and I got my return on the 3rd (this Monday)! I guess I beat the rush. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's awesome!! As an accountant, I'm super proud of you guys who got yours in nice and early :)

I'm getting screwed because I worked in CT half the year and in MA half the year so not enough was taken for each state but at least my Fed is decent.   Yay for booking your honeymoon!!

• This thread prompted me to check my bank acct and I got mine today!!! woo money in the wedding fund! (actually, bills paid..money will go in tomorrow when I get paid from my paycheck..same dif right?)
    Anniversary
  • Yay! Sounds like a great trip! I've wanted to go to unversal studios forever, especially to see the Harry Potter world.

Anniversary

• I filed and it was accepted....then I found out I made a boo boo. So now I'm filing an amendment. The total difference in taxes? $8.00.

FI thinks I'm ridiculous for refiling, but I'm a lawyer working in state govt in a civil fraud division...it's just not worth it to me to have this potentially come back and bite me.

• I just got mine today. It wasnt as much as I normally get because of a few penalties but it's already applied to my credit card. No fun with mine. :(
  • emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    We were expecting a nice refund since we got married this year, but apparently my darling husband miscalculated his withholding and now we owe a lot. Yay!!

I usually file as soon as I get my W-2, but we'll be waiting till April 15 this year so we can save up enough.
  • I just can't figure out how to spend my refund jackpot. Any suggestions on what to do with an $11.00 check, hmmm?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FI and I just filed our taxes and between the two of us, we feel rich! We're both getting decent federal refunds and this is the first year in 3 years I don't owe NYS any money - hallelujah! We should be closing on our house in early March though so most of that money will probably go towards paint, carpet, other home improvement projects.

Have fun on your trip! Sounds like you'll have a blast. FI and I are going to try and take a honeymoon early next year and will probably use our tax refund next year towards that expense.

• Wow, can't believe refunds are already going out! If I get a refund, I might pass out from excitement. Enjoy it!

• @niccirf, don't spend it all in one place.
  • @shrekspeare, @peaseblossom55

Harry Potter world is exactly why we're going to Universal and not Disney. DH and I both love HP. We also love theme parks. We've had yearly passes to Busch Gardens in Virginia since we first started dating. It just seemed natural to combine roller coasters and HP for our honeymoon.

And don't worry, I will take lots of pictures!

Anniversary
  • I have mine done but not filed yet.  I need to print off my GA one b/c it couldn't be done via e-file (I think from of my student loan deductions).  
    @jenna8984 did you finish doing yours completely already?  I lived in 2 different states and while I was going through, I originally owed money to MD, and it was a few hundred dollars.  Finally during one of the last sections, there was a question where I had to input each state's things from my W2 again and all of a sudden, my taxes went up and I ended up getting some money back from MD.  I was pissed that I thought I owed until that step...it was towards the very end of filing in TurboTax.

• Tax refunds = big paychecks for me (I'm in furniture/mattress sales)

...as long as people spend them and this doesn't suck like last year.

Anniversary
  • I haven't even filed mine.  I thought I was supposed to get a form from the state (NJ) for when I was on disability with my broken ankle, but nothing yet.  And the website isn't helpful and I don't have the time during the day to call them to see if I'm even supposed to get something.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't even have any paperwork to get started on mine yet.  Boo.  I want a refund too

• I filed on the 28th and received my refund today as well.  FI and I agreed that I could use this refund to pay off my debt management plan, then save whatever I am able to to apply toward our wedding/honeymoon between now and June.  I will be credit card debt free for the first time in 10 years!  Now if I could just get rid of those pesky student loans...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards