Wedding Reception Forum

Reception venue regret?

Hi ladies. We were initially going to get married in June but I found a banquet hall that is super cheap, includes plated dinner, open bar, decor, dj, servers, beverages. All for a whooping $26 pp. They weren't available for the date, so we changed the wedding to July. Now it turns out my brother, my stepsisters, and one of my closest friends can't make the date. It got me thinking about changing the date and even the reception location.

What initially drew me to the hall was its all-in-one deal. But now that's what's making me feel iffy about it. First, when we went to see the place it was set up with five 72" tables and looked almost at capacity. I could see squeezing up to three more of those babies max. But the owner said each table could fit up to 12 people. I didn't know better at the time.

Second the more I think about how the place looks, the less excited I get about the wedding. Here's a link to the pics

http://illusionsbanquethall.vpweb.com

It's totally not my style. I could spruce it up though. But I'm not sure how. And I had initially envisioned something quirkier for the day which is a lot more me.

We don't have a true budget, we are simply trying to get the most bang for our buck. I just feel like I might regret having had our reception there? Am I overthinking this? Should I just suck it up cause it's a hell of a deal? Get sweet table linens? What else could I so with the place to take away the feeling that it could be any other couples wedding?

Or would you ladies take advantage and book something else? Even if it's more money and you'd lose a $400 deposit?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: Reception venue regret?

• Hi ladies. We were initially going to get married in June but I found a banquet hall that is super cheap, includes plated dinner, open bar, decor, dj, servers, beverages. All for a whooping $26 pp. They weren't available for the date, so we changed the wedding to July. Now it turns out my brother, my stepsisters, and one of my closest friends can't make the date. It got me thinking about changing the date and even the reception location. What initially drew me to the hall was its all-in-one deal. But now that's what's making me feel iffy about it. First, when we went to see the place it was set up with five 72" tables and looked almost at capacity. I could see squeezing up to three more of those babies max. But the owner said each table could fit up to 12 people. I didn't know better at the time. Second the more I think about how the place looks, the less excited I get about the wedding. Here's a link to the pics http://illusionsbanquethall.vpweb.com It's totally not my style. I could spruce it up though. But I'm not sure how. And I had initially envisioned something quirkier for the day which is a lot more me. We don't have a true budget, we are simply trying to get the most bang for our buck. I just feel like I might regret having had our reception there? Am I overthinking this? Should I just suck it up cause it's a hell of a deal? Get sweet table linens? What else could I so with the place to take away the feeling that it could be any other couples wedding? Or would you ladies take advantage and book something else? Even if it's more money and you'd lose a $400 deposit? Thanks in advance!!
    First of all, you shouldn't be booking anything unless you have an actual or true budget. You lose too much control of what you're spending (even when you try to get the most bang for your buck). I would say to figure out exactly what your budget is and then go from there. If you're truly not happy with the venue and it's that important to you, then yes, eat the deposit and go elsewhere. Otherwise deal with the choice you made and use it as a learning experience with every other aspect of your wedding.
  • In most of those pictures, there are 8 or 10 chairs per table. I would NOT put 12. You may also want to check the fire marshal capacity of the room to make sure you are okay there...don't assume the owner is doing this.  With the pictures that do have 12 chairs...they are all kind of pulled out from the table. Once guests pull them in to eat, they are going to be too crowded.
    Also, if the room requires a ton of decorating to be what you want, that's going to be expensive & offset the cheaper per plate price.

Also, I think your bigger issue is that you have a few important people that can't make your date. 

No date is ever perfect, but depending on how far out the date is, hopefully those important people can make arrangements to be there for your day. 

• I'd go with a venue that is prettier to begin with so that you don't have to decorate it a lot.  I also wouldn't put 12 people at these tables- probably 10, so the size doesn't work.  
    Having a date where your close relatives can attend is important.  Pick something far out so that people can arrange to attend. 

I'd keep looking.
  • 1st- I think you really need to sit down with your FI and work out a budget, especially now that you are considering changing venues and many of the things you might like for your wedding probably won't be included in the pricing of a new venue- the DJ, decor, etc.

Keep in mind that 50%-65% of your budget should be for the reception and all associated costs- venue rental fee, food and drink fees, tax and service fees, gratuity, etc.

2nd, if you are serious about eating your deposit and changing your venue and date, you need to get availability info from your VIPs 1st, then you use that info to research what dates that gel with your VIPs are available at potential new venues, and then you use that information to pick a date. 

I see many bride on these boards claiming excitedly that they have picked their date and then they go out and try to fit venue availability into this date they seemingly picked out of think air.  That's backwards, IMO.  I didn't "have my date" until I had signed a contract with my church and reception venue.

On to a lesser detail- many venues will tell you that they can cram 10-12 ppl around a 60" or 72" round table, and I can tell your from experience that it sucks!  It's too crowded to have more than 8 adults at a table that is full of centerpieces, and water glasses, wine glasses, champagne glasses, chargers, plates, multiple forks, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would just swallow the $400 and go to a new venue. Its not worth having all those people miss your day. Not to mention...you probably wouldn't be saving very much anyways since you'll spend so much more trying to get this place to look good.
  • 1st- I think you really need to sit down with your FI and work out a budget, especially now that you are considering changing venues and many of the things you might like for your wedding probably won't be included in the pricing of a new venue- the DJ, decor, etc.

Keep in mind that 50%-65% of your budget should be for the reception and all associated costs- venue rental fee, food and drink fees, tax and service fees, gratuity, etc.

2nd, if you are serious about eating your deposit and changing your venue and date, you need to get availability info from your VIPs 1st, then you use that info to research what dates that gel with your VIPs are available at potential new venues, and then you use that information to pick a date. 

I see many bride on these boards claiming excitedly that they have picked their date and then they go out and try to fit venue availability into this date they seemingly picked out of think air.  That's backwards, IMO.  I didn't "have my date" until I had signed a contract with my church and reception venue.

On to a lesser detail- many venues will tell you that they can cram 10-12 ppl around a 60" or 72" round table, and I can tell your from experience that it sucks!  It's too crowded to have more than 8 adults at a table that is full of centerpieces, and water glasses, wine glasses, champagne glasses, chargers, plates, multiple forks, etc.
    Yes, yes, yes!  I couldn't agree more!  Pick a venue, THEN pick a date!

Yes, yes, yes!  I couldn't agree more!  Pick a venue, THEN pick a date!
    Yes, this!
    We had a general time frame of months that we wanted the wedding to be in, and the only real stipulation was that no major holidays were on the same day. As it is, we unfortunately ended up the week before Easter, so that's a little iffy. That said, we toured the venue, thought about and then emailed to see what they had available, and picked from that list of dates. We did not come up with any specific dates on our own, because neither of us cares what the date is. It's going to be an "important" date to us since it's our wedding day anyways! I don't care if it's some odd series or whatever.
  • Thanks ladies for all your input! We did exactly that: picked our church based on their availability, then coordinated that with the reception venue's availability. Since our wedding is this summer (VERY short engagement) I saw the reception venue and was blown away by the price. A lot of the dates were taken so I felt pressured to book a date. Now I'm having major regret. And I didn't even THINK to ask anyone if they could make it! I'm trying now to work out a date with my brother and step sisters now and see if the church is available.

Also, thanks for the heads up about the table and chairs. I do NOT want my guests to bump each others elbows all throughout dinner.

Regarding budget, my mother has generously offered to pay for the wedding. We haven't discussed a set budget I guess because she knows that I don't spend frivolously (except in the rare case that I jump the gun on a reception venue...lesson learned). And while looking at venues she wanted to look at the DisneyWorld options, mentioning that she wouldn't mind spending 12-15k as long as she didn't have to worry about anything. I know that I don't want to get anywhere NEAR this number and would actually rather be at half this. I also don't want a really glamorous event, more of a big party. But I do agree that a budget would help us get organized and know what we can and can't afford. 

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a venue that's in a mini-amusement park! So excited! (And definitely in the budget ;)
  • Good Luck hun!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Thanks omg the venue I saw today was amazing! I'm going to crunch some numbers with my mom and see what she thinks. Thank you all for your advice!
  • A mini amusement park?! That sounds like so much fun!! I'm sure my FI and our camp friends would be all over that! I'm glad it's working out for you. =)
  • It's AWESOME! We just booked yesterday and changed the date with the church. My brother got the unofficial yes from his supervisor, and my stepsisters just confirmed they could come! The venue is on a second floor and has a wrap around balcony overlooking a tiny street with lots of shops, bars, and restaurants. And on Saturdays they do a classic car ride there. It's gonna be so fun!
  • Yay! So glad it worked out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards