Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Anyone with issues shipping dinnerware?

Has anyone had issues with their dinnerware when it was shipped? We've started receiving some sets as gifts, and of the eight sets we received, we could only piece together two sets without scratches of some kind. Many of the pieces had minor sets and I feel picky, but this is my first set of nice dinnerware for heaven sakes! I called Macy's, who said that they receive this complaint a lot, but that people often have better luck trading it in in-store. We're planning to do that, but I'm still a bit nervous about the plates. If they're damaged so easily, how will they hold up day-to-day? Anyone with similar experiences?

For reference, the set is the Danks Fjord in Nordi Blue. 

Re: Anyone with issues shipping dinnerware?

• Options

I used to work Gift Wrap in Macy*s, so I saw a lot of dinnerware. In my professional opinion, items ordered online and shipped to your home do not get the same inspection process as items purchased in the store.

That being said...I was never a fan of the Dansk line. I prefer Pfaltzgraf (don't think it's at Macy*s anymore), Lennox, or even Martha Stewart. Fiestaware also holds up nicely.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think it is more a product of poor shipping and handling processes than poor quality dishware.

We registered for the Hotel Collection bone china at Macy's.  No one actually bought us any, but we used gift cards and exchanges to complete our full set.  Out of the THREE sets of 12 item boxes (four dinner plates, four salad plates, four cereal bowls) all three of them had at least one bowl that was severely damaged.  I was able to exchange them no questions asked.

When we bought four individual place settings (including a coffee mug) we had NO issues.  I think in our case it is a packaging flaw that makes the cereal bowls more apt to break.

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    We got 12 sets of Aspen dinnerware from Crate & Barrel, all in excellent condition. They were very heavily wrapped and padded!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards