Military Brides

Care Packages

My FI is deployed overseas and this is the first deployment we have been through as an engaged couple. I would really like to send him a Care Package, but I do not know the Do's and Don't's of what to send. He's requested a few things I know are safe to send, but I was wondering what the protocol was on sending T-shirts or things like that. Is there enough room for them to pack them and bring them home? Are they even allowed to wear clothing that isn't military issued? I am fairly new to all of this so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Care Packages

• A lot of that depends on where he is. A combat zone? Civilian attire would be a waste. Korea? Qatar? He probably gets a chance to wear civvies. In that case, I'd just make sure they weren't offensive or accidentally inappropriate for local culture. The USPS has a list of prohibited items on their website for Afghanistan and probably other countries. You can google it.
  • Thanks! I did look online on the USPS Website for restrictions for Afghanistan, but it did not include clothing so I was not sure. It would not be offensive or inappropriate in anyway. I guess I was just looking for some ideas as well! Thanks for your help!
  • lmac0529 said:
    Thanks! I did look online on the USPS Website for restrictions for Afghanistan, but it did not include clothing so I was not sure. It would not be offensive or inappropriate in anyway. I guess I was just looking for some ideas as well! Thanks for your help!
    Keep in mind that things that we don't consider at all offensive might be there. Someone on another of my boards posted the same question earlier, and that board gets a lot more traffic. 

I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Some people are allowed to bring and wear civilian clothes to combat areas. My husband is required to bring 2 sets.  I also know people who bring civies to sleep in. Army PT shorts are some of the worst things ever made.  I hate sleeping in them.  Before my deployment was canceled, I had already packed civilian shorts to sleep in.  Ask him if he's allowed to have a t shirt.  It really depends on his unit and where he is.  My husband uses one of my t shirts as a pillow case.  

You could send him a nice set of sheets.  If he'll be gone over the winter, a nice blanket would be good.  Non-aerosol air fresheners are always a must have.  Febreeze, socks, snacks, laundry pods, wet wipes, good toilet paper, good coffee, individual drink mixes and magazines are all usually popular items. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DH couldn't wear civies of any kind with the Marines in Afghanistan but on his last deployment he was stationed at a hospital. Since he spent the majority of his time on base he was allowed to wear civilian PT gear. I would ask before you assume it's a no-go. I sent him a nice set of sheets as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks so much for all the advice and help! I will ask him before I send any clothes, and I have found some other really neat ideas on Pinterest!
  • My fi just got back from 9 months in kuwait, and I packed LOTS of care packages.  His number one rule was to put baby wipes in literally every box. They take them if they're out in the field and don't have access to a shower. 

Other things I commonly put in:
    - his favorite soap - sure they have soap there he was able to buy on base for cheaper, but he was glad to have it.
    - other various toiletries
    - gummy candies  (but NO chocolate - it wont survive the trip)
    - gum
    - lens cleaning wipes for glasses and camera lenses
    - beef jerky
    - homemade cookies/brownies (put a slice of bread in the container with baked goods - it takes in moisture so the treats dont go stale)
    - silly joke stuff
    - letters
    - pictures of me and our pets
    - pictures made into magnets for him to have with him 
    - workout shirts
    - an inflatable lightsaber (it was a joke for his birthday and he was thrilled)

From what he told me, the contents dont even matter, getting one made his week even if it was only soap and wet wipes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards