Wedding Etiquette Forum

MOH or BM: I don't know which I am!

So my sister's wedding is coming up in May. She got engaged at the end of last summer (so about a nine month engagement). When she told me that she was engaged, I, of course, freaked out and hugged her and all that.  She didn't ask me to be a BM right away, and I was like, whatever.  She is free to choose anyone she wants. I saw her a couple times since then and she still never asked me.  I kind of expected her to ask me to be in her WP (she was my MOH), but I wasn't going to ask. Anyway, so we were chatting a couple weeks after her engagement and I was asking about colors, dresses, dates, etc. Anyway, and she started mentioning the BM dresses and then she said something about "your dress" and I was like "Oh, am I a BM?" and she said yea. She has three other BMs, our other two sisters and her best friend.

Fast forward several months.  I have been operating under the assumption that I was a BM and her BF is the MOH. I was on the phone with my mom the other day and my mom was talking about how she sent H's tie and shirt to us (H is a groomsman).  My mom said how nice it'd be that after the wedding, we'd have a matching outfit to wear on dates or whatever - he'd have the tie in the wedding color and I'd have a dress in that color as well (it's actually a really cute dress I'll wear again!).  She also said maybe the photographer would get a quick snapshot of H and I together.  I said yea, that'd be cool and it'd probably be easy to get pics of us because, "Since I'm not the MOH and H isn't the BM, maybe (sister) will let us walk together."

I didn't mean anything by saying that, but my mom kind of paused and said, are you sure you're not the MOH? And I was like, well she never asked me.  And I told my mom exactly how my sister asked me, which I wrote above. And I said I would certainly remember if she had asked me to be MOH!!  My mom said that based on some of her conversations with my sister, it sounded like my sister was planning for me to be/thinks I am the MOH.  And my mom said that maybe that my sister thought she asked me or assumed I would assume I was MOH.

So basically, my mom said she'd double-check with my sister and ask for clarification of who is MOH (because I said I wasn't going to ask.)  I've seen my sister a few times since that conversation with our mom and my sister hasn't said anything to me.

So basically, I'm wondering what to do now.

I am certainly not going to ask if I'm the MOH.  I'm maybe going to talk to my mom again and ask if she found out anything.  I'm also thinking about, since the wedding is now only about three months away, sort of "forcing the issue" by saying to my sister, "Hey, so I wanted to start planning a bachelorette/shower for you, but I wanted to know if BF was planning anything and kind of follow her lead, since she's the MOH."

I don't care if I'm not the MOH.  She is welcome to choose anyone she wants and it doesn't hurt my feelings if I'm a BM rather than the MOH.  I just would like to know which I am!!  What would you all do?

Re: MOH or BM: I don't know which I am!

• I would do nothing.
  • There's really no difference between a MOH and a BM. They both wear a dress and stand next to the bride. So I wouldn't do anything.
  • If you really want the answer I would ask her.  She's your sister and obviously your close if she was your MOH.  I like the phrasing missnc suggested.  There is a chance that she is assuming your MOH (seeing how she assumed you were in the WP without ever asking you).  Also, it is really nice of you if you want to plan any of her pre-wedding parties.
  • After I asked her to be a BM, one of my friends asked if I could give her contact info for my MOH so she would know who to coordinate with for things like a shower or bachelorette party.  Maybe you could approach it similarly? 
  • It sounds like you really want to know- just ask her.  Given that your sister didn't formally ask you to be in the WP and just assumed, it's not surprising if she assumes you're the MOH.  You could say that you just want to clarify your role.
  • First things first, there's no difference between MOH and BM except the title. Both stand next to the bride at the ceremony.

That aside, I find it bizarre that this situation is seemingly so awkward for you. She is your sister - why wouldn't you just be able to ask her? Like another poster said, it seems easy enough!
  • You already asked if you were a BM so I don't really get the big deal to ask if you're MOH, as long as you don't do it in an expectant way. Although it's possible she just hasn't decided yet- I am 4 months out and I have asked my BMs but I'm still torn on who to ask to be MOH.

I kind of disagree that they're the same thing. MOH typically makes a speech, and sometimes organizes pre wedding parties, so I'd kind of want to know too. But if it's a ways out I still wouldn't worry about it too much- it doesn't take that long to think of those things if you are. 
  • I'm with Ven and scribe. Just ask and say you want to work on your speech or planning a party or whatever.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'd be wimpy and have mom snoop it out...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • missnc77 said:
    This is your sister. Why can't you just ask? "Hey sis! I'm so excited to be in your wedding. My dress is fabulous! I thought I was a bridesmaid but mom said she thought I was the maid of honor. Either way, I'm absolutely happy. Just want to make sure I understand." Why tap dance around the issue or worry about it? It's an easy enough question to ask.

In this situation, this is what I would do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sars06 said:
    First things first, there's no difference between MOH and BM except the title. Both stand next to the bride at the ceremony.

That aside, I find it bizarre that this situation is seemingly so awkward for you. She is your sister - why wouldn't you just be able to ask her? Like another poster said, it seems easy enough!
    Yes but where they stand and in what order they walk down the aisle is different, and if this is a Catholic ceremony then only the MOH will be with the bride on the altar.

Just ask your sister who the MOH is.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would personally ask - but if you want to be sneaky ask her about the processional order and see who will be standing right next to her :)
  • I would ask. It's mostly unimportant, as people have pointed out. And she might have no MOH or she has two or whatever.

I've found that it's way better to just ask than to awkwardly wonder what's going on.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I would personally ask - but if you want to be sneaky ask her about the processional order and see who will be standing right next to her :)

Stuck in the box:

Ask who you are walking in with? If it's the best man, then you know! 
  • Maybe she hasn't decided yet? I'm getting married in 4 months, and my FI just asked the BM if he'd be the best man (and it's not his brother, who's a groomsman).  I could see my FMIL saying to FI's brother, oh of course you're the best man (* head hits desk).

• @missnc77 @cowgirl8238 @eileenrob @Sars06 @scribe95 @HisGirlFriday13 @grumbledore @PrettyGirlLost @phira

The reason I haven't asked my sister is because I believe it would be rude to.  In fact, I'm quite surprised people have suggested asking! We get brides posting here frequently about how someone assumed they were a BM or asked if they were a BM and the brides don't know how to tell them they're not. And posters usually say it's quite rude of the person to assume they were in the WP.  I think it would be equally rude to ask if I was a MOH, even though I'm already a BM.

I don't care whether I'm the MOH or BM. And, I agree that there's not really a difference except how close they stand to the bride However, I would like to know which I am, mainly because she threw a lovely bachelorette party for me and I want to do the same for her. If I'm the MOH, I will start thinking about what to do for one.  If I'm not, I will defer to the MOH first to see if she's going to plan anything. If she is, I'll help out. If she's not, then I'll go ahead and start thinking about something.  That's the only reason why I care which I am.

I didn't ask if I was a BM. We were discussing her wedding and she started talking about the bridesmaid dresses and she said a couple times "your dress." So I said something like "Oh I'm a BM!?"  It wasn't really a question because she'd been talking about my bridesmaid dress.

I will probably ask my mom tonight, I'm planning to call her.  If she doesn't know anything, I will probably use the language I mentioned above.  I really like how @indianaalum suggested. 
  • I think the difference is that (a) this is your sister, and (b) she clearly didn't straight-up ask you to be a BM. It's not like you're angling to be MOH because you think it's a super-special position. You want to know if you're in charge of throwing her an awesome party.

It's totally reasonable to say, "Hey, sis, can I get your MOH's phone number? I want to work on the b-party and shower." Her answer will tell you what you need to know. 
    Anniversary

• I think the difference is that (a) this is your sister, and (b) she clearly didn't straight-up ask you to be a BM. It's not like you're angling to be MOH because you think it's a super-special position. You want to know if you're in charge of throwing her an awesome party.

It's totally reasonable to say, "Hey, sis, can I get your MOH's phone number? I want to work on the b-party and shower." Her answer will tell you what you need to know. 
    Yea, I get that reasoning, @HisGirlFriday13. As for the language you suggested, that's basically what I was going to do!  Something that's a roundabout way of finding out without actually saying "Am I your MOH?"
  • True story: I was chatting with a friend of mine about her upcoming wedding (this was several years ago), and she said something about her FI's best man having to fly up from Texas and their WP and and I said, entirely casually, just because I was honestly curious, 'Oh, who all's going to be in your WP?' She said, 'Just you!'

Oh. Well, OK, then. 

This was in December for her March wedding. I was a little taken aback.
    Anniversary

• I agree with HisGirl. Tell her you'd like to throw her a bachelorette but wasn't sure if she had a MOH or if it was important to her to check with the MOH first to see if she was already planning something.
  • My childhood best friend and I used to tell each other for YEARS that we'd ask the other to be maid of honor. I even mentioned it early in my relationship with my partner when it occurred to me that I might actually marry this one. Our friendship has really grown distant over the past couple years since then (and had been getting more distant before), and so by the time I actually WAS engaged and WAS having a non-hypothetical wedding party, I didn't feel comfortable asking her to be in it.

I didn't tell her, "Oh by the way, you're not in the wedding party" because I'm not an asshole, and I didn't talk to her about the wedding party in such a way that I was hinting heavily to her that she wasn't in it. I wasn't really sure how to tell her the answer to something she hadn't asked, although I was nervous about her asking.

A couple months ago, she finally asked me, and it was obvious that she had been stressing about asking me for a while. Like, how you tell your crush you like them and then you're like OH MY GOD NOW I HAVE TO HEAR THEIR ANSWER. I felt like a total asshole, but she was really gracious about it, and I've made it clear that I'm still excited to have her come to the wedding, and I have been making more of an effort to keep in touch so she knows that I'm not, like breaking up with her.

Basically: you're not asking because you're an asshole. You're asking because you are confused and unsure and anxious because you might need to write a speech.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • @missnc77 @cowgirl8238 @eileenrob @Sars06 @scribe95 @HisGirlFriday13 @grumbledore @PrettyGirlLost @phira

The reason I haven't asked my sister is because I believe it would be rude to.  In fact, I'm quite surprised people have suggested asking! We get brides posting here frequently about how someone assumed they were a BM or asked if they were a BM and the brides don't know how to tell them they're not. And posters usually say it's quite rude of the person to assume they were in the WP.  I think it would be equally rude to ask if I was a MOH, even though I'm already a BM.

I don't care whether I'm the MOH or BM. And, I agree that there's not really a difference except how close they stand to the bride However, I would like to know which I am, mainly because she threw a lovely bachelorette party for me and I want to do the same for her. If I'm the MOH, I will start thinking about what to do for one.  If I'm not, I will defer to the MOH first to see if she's going to plan anything. If she is, I'll help out. If she's not, then I'll go ahead and start thinking about something.  That's the only reason why I care which I am.

I didn't ask if I was a BM. We were discussing her wedding and she started talking about the bridesmaid dresses and she said a couple times "your dress." So I said something like "Oh I'm a BM!?"  It wasn't really a question because she'd been talking about my bridesmaid dress.

I will probably ask my mom tonight, I'm planning to call her.  If she doesn't know anything, I will probably use the language I mentioned above.  I really like how @indianaalum suggested. 

What makes this different is: 1) You already know you are a BM; 2) Your sister has already displayed a habit of being unclear about her decisions with the WP/assuming you know things she has not told you.

Just ask her. You are seriously overthinking this.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Just FYI, you don't have to be the MOH to throw her a b-party. In fact, no one person/role is "in charge" of doing that. If you want start planning one, go right ahead! I also agree with PPs to let her know that you want to check with her MOH about b-party plans and see what her response is. Kill all birds with one stone

Honey I love you, but you are overthinking this!  You already know you are a BM, and this is your own sister.  Who you said has a habit of being vague or unclear.  Just be direct with her and very politely ask her who the MOH is.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• As the others have mentioned it would be rude to come out of the blue with someone and ask such a question, but given how she failed to tell you that you were even in the Bridal party, and that she's your sister I think you can ask.  I like what HisGirl suggested so you can find out in a non-direct way.  Stressing over it will get you no-where.

• I'd ask, "so...is BF your MOH?"
  • So what did your mom say?
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Yes, please come back in the end and tell us if you find out you are a BM or MOH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards