Michigan-Detroit
Options

Outdoor ceremony in Oct?

Tiffany101015Tiffany101015 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited January 2014 in Michigan-Detroit
I thought I should post it here because I need Michigan brides advice. I'm looking to have my ceremony outside by a lake then go directly inside for the reception. Do you think it will be too cold? We are having it under a pavilion incase it rains...but have no plan B for if it's too cold? HELP!  First week of October?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor ceremony in Oct?

• Options
    Hmm...which lake? It SHOULD be ok but Michigan is so weird... my homecoming dance was the first weekend in October, and it snowed. I've also been to October weddings where it was 80° out. My biggest worry would be the wind off the lake - if it is a little chilly and it's a relatively big lake, the wind will seem super cold coming off the water. I'd go for it but be prepared for any scenario (i.e. think about buying warm shawls for your bridesmaids, maybe even look into how much those outdoor space heaters that bars use cost to rent) and keep your ceremony short, just in case! GL!

• Options
    If you HAD to could you go inside where the reception is being held to do the ceremony?
  • Options
    mrskaiser22mrskaiser22 member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    I went to an outdoor ceremony in Oct a few years ago.

Every. single. person. complained about the cold, and all the ladies were wearing dresses and shivering.  I'd either move to a warmer month or have the ceremony inside.

eta: it was off a small lake on a golf course.  Wind was awful.
  • Options
    yea, mine is on a small lake. Good Idea on the space heaters! Maybe I need to find a chapel or church
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    yea, mine is on a small lake. Good Idea on the space heaters! Maybe I need to find a chapel or church
    Yeah, if I were you I'd rather be safe than sorry!  Yes, it could be 80*, but it could also be 30* and snowing!!  Good luck :)
  • Options

I too am having an outside, October wedding - this year. 

I feel like it's risky, but this is Michigan and we really never know what to expect.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards