Moms and Maids

MOB drama

Not needing advice as much as a place to write this all down and vent some steam...

My FMIL is such a stressful person. She didn't seem thrilled when we got engaged. I attribute most of this due to the fact that I'm the "evil yankee" marrying the Southerner. We moved to IL from TX where we met, which she hates. She just generally isn't very nice to me even though I get along very well with the rest of his family. My FFIL and I used to go to lunch a few times a week when we lived near them. She's retired and never wanted to join us. 

Now that wedding planning is in full force for our July wedding this year, it's been even more difficult. I try to bond with her. I asked her if she'd like to go look at an outfit for her to wear at the wedding when we were there for a week over Christmas and she said, "well I'll probably be so much fatter in July, Do you think I can just wear a black pant suit?" I've tried to involve her in other ways as well from looking at invitations, picking the food and venue for our rehearsal dinner (which she grumped about paying for even though they offered to do so in the first place), and looking at jewelry and honeymoon destinations. She just has no interest whatsoever. This wouldn't bother me if she hadn't broken down crying in front of me before we left and said that she wished we were closer and that she thought I was good for her son, etc. So I invited her to my bridal shower that was three months away. Later when my FI called about her coming, she said she wasn't because she was so "busy" (again....retired and doesn't do anything), and it was "too expensive" (she has a great pension, a very nice house, buys a new car every 2 years, so on...). 

Luckily I have FI in my court and he actually got very upset at her. He called his dad and talked to him about it, and now she's coming, although not willingly. This is just so frustrating because of the completely mixed messages that I get from her about us being closer and being friends. I try to reach out to her so much through texts, calls, and trying to involve her in the planning, but it doesn't seem to matter. 

This week I asked her for a list of people that they would like to invite from their side and she told me "not to bother, no one is interested, and no one will come." Even more upsetting about this was the fact that we had just had a holiday party at their house and many of their close friends and family told us they were excited to come and were making it their family vacation over the summer (we live near Chicago). My FI finally worked with his dad and grandpa to make a small list of family and friends, but now that we have the list, getting contact info and addresses has been even harder. 

I don't know why she's being like this. The mixed messages are so frustrating and I really feel like I try to make her happy and involve her. Really IMHO, she's not a very happy nor pleasant person, but I'm generally cheerful and polite I believe so I'm not sure if our personalities are clashing or what. I've never had such drama issues with a person in my life and it's very hurtful. Sometimes the whole thing makes me just want to save our money and go to the courthouse and not even bother with the wedding. Besides the fact that I'm excited to be marrying my FI, the whole day is just not sounding fun to me anymore. 

Anyone else having these issues? 

Re: MOB drama

• Lots of people, probably.

Since she's giving you mixed messages when you do try to plan her, you and your FI may have to sit her down and tell her together, "You're complaining about our not involving you.  If that's how you really feel, then we don't want to hear from you any more complaints about not involving you, because when we do try to involve you, you act indifferent and uninterested.  Why would we want to waste our time trying to involve someone who keeps giving off 'I don't care' vibes?  If you really want to be involved, then we need you to show interest.  Otherwise, we're going to stop trying to involve you.  The choice is yours, but you can't have it both ways.  Which is it?"

And then follow through.
  • You're trying too hard. Back off, don't bring up the wedding to FMIL. She may come to you when she realizes she's not being included in the planning, or she may not ever care about the wedding. Cajoling her into attending a shower, that she didn't want to attend, was a bad idea. She may show up and make everyone miserable because she was shamed into it by her son and husband. 

Don't ask FMIL for contact info for the guests from her side. She is being a PITA, so I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of knowing that you would like her help. Look on line for those addresses and ask Fi's grandmother, aunt, cousin etc... help with the hard to find addresses. 

• Not needing advice as much as a place to write this all down and vent some steam...

My FMIL is such a stressful person. She didn't seem thrilled when we got engaged. I attribute most of this due to the fact that I'm the "evil yankee" marrying the Southerner. We moved to IL from TX where we met, which she hates. She just generally isn't very nice to me even though I get along very well with the rest of his family. My FFIL and I used to go to lunch a few times a week when we lived near them. She's retired and never wanted to join us. 

Now that wedding planning is in full force for our July wedding this year, it's been even more difficult. I try to bond with her. I asked her if she'd like to go look at an outfit for her to wear at the wedding when we were there for a week over Christmas and she said, "well I'll probably be so much fatter in July, Do you think I can just wear a black pant suit?" I've tried to involve her in other ways as well from looking at invitations, picking the food and venue for our rehearsal dinner (which she grumped about paying for even though they offered to do so in the first place), and looking at jewelry and honeymoon destinations. She just has no interest whatsoever. This wouldn't bother me if she hadn't broken down crying in front of me before we left and said that she wished we were closer and that she thought I was good for her son, etc. So I invited her to my bridal shower that was three months away. Later when my FI called about her coming, she said she wasn't because she was so "busy" (again....retired and doesn't do anything), and it was "too expensive" (she has a great pension, a very nice house, buys a new car every 2 years, so on...). 

Luckily I have FI in my court and he actually got very upset at her. He called his dad and talked to him about it, and now she's coming, although not willingly. This is just so frustrating because of the completely mixed messages that I get from her about us being closer and being friends. I try to reach out to her so much through texts, calls, and trying to involve her in the planning, but it doesn't seem to matter. 

This week I asked her for a list of people that they would like to invite from their side and she told me "not to bother, no one is interested, and no one will come." Even more upsetting about this was the fact that we had just had a holiday party at their house and many of their close friends and family told us they were excited to come and were making it their family vacation over the summer (we live near Chicago). My FI finally worked with his dad and grandpa to make a small list of family and friends, but now that we have the list, getting contact info and addresses has been even harder. 

I don't know why she's being like this. The mixed messages are so frustrating and I really feel like I try to make her happy and involve her. Really IMHO, she's not a very happy nor pleasant person, but I'm generally cheerful and polite I believe so I'm not sure if our personalities are clashing or what. I've never had such drama issues with a person in my life and it's very hurtful. Sometimes the whole thing makes me just want to save our money and go to the courthouse and not even bother with the wedding. Besides the fact that I'm excited to be marrying my FI, the whole day is just not sounding fun to me anymore. 

Anyone else having these issues? 

Stop talking about the wedding with your FMIL. If something wedding related needs to be done, have your FI deal with his mother.  For addresses, are there any relatives on facebook that he can reach out to, to obtain addresses (make sure he only contacts those already invited to the wedding).

In the future, just kill your FMIL with kindness.

• I agree with @Jen4948 -- you need your FI to sit her down and say, "You say you want to be involved in the wedding, but when we talk to you, you brush us off and push us aside. Which is it -- do you want to be involved and be helpful, or do you want to be uninvolved and left out? It's your choice, but make it now and own it -- after this, we're done having conversations with you in which you say one thing and do something else."
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Thanks everyone, so nice to vent sometimes. In terms of the addresses, the most difficult part is that my FI is the only child of only children and he has only one grandparent. I literally have no one else to ask! 

It's hard when she reaches out to my FI for involvement, but then when we try, she's uninterested. The two-faced'ness of it all is so irritating! She even talked about coming up for the shower when she broke down crying to me about wanting to be friends, but then changed her mind later for whatever reason. I've come to expect it, but FI was the upset one at that point. Whenever I suggest just leaving her out if she's not interested, FI is the upset one. Can't make everyone happy here. 
  • Have you tried talking to her about something other than the wedding? Like a hobby she enjoys or something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards