Honeymoon Discussions

Bahamas or Cayman Islands?

We're having a hard time deciding where to spend our honeymoon.  We definitely want somewhere in the Carribean and are finding that the Bahamas and the Cayman Islands seem most affordable (Our budget is around $1000 a person for hotel and airfare).  Anybody have any experience at the Bahamas or the Cayman Islands they would like to share?
Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg

Re: Bahamas or Cayman Islands?

• Between the two I'd pick the Cayman Islands, however the Cayman Islands are definitely not one of the more budget friendly Caribbean islands. It's beautiful but pricey not only to fly there but to stay there as well. The Caribbean is known for a lot of all-inclusive resorts (where all your food and drinks and most activities are included in the price) and the Cayman Islands doesn't have any AI resorts. So, once you're there you'd have to factor in spending money for all your meals, drinks, activities, and airport transfers. Some people prefer not to stay at an AI, but if you're looking for something budget friendly, I suggest looking into an AI resort.

Your dollar will stretch the furthest in Mexico, Jamaica, and the Dominican Republic all of which are known for having great AI resorts, including adults only AI's.
  • If you go the Bahamas route, I have been to Freeport and Nassau and greatly prefer Freeport. The out islands would be even better but probably not in your budget. I'd recommend an AI; we didn't have one and found food prices to be very high in town. I like the Bahamas and think its a good choice on a budget, but would also recommend checking out the DR or Puerto Rico.
  • I've never been to the Bahamas, but our HM cruise stopped in Grand Cayman.  It was absolutely beautiful and we loved every minute we spent there.  We were so bummed to leave.  I would definitely go back there.  I don't have any insight on where to stay, but we spent several hours at Seven Mile Beach and it was glorious...
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the tips!! I was considering all inclusive but then got to wondering if it would get old eating at the same place for all your meals for an entire week?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
  • I used to envision the Carribean as this magical place... Then I moved to Miami and got very familiar with it. After countless boat trips and parties on the various islands, I have concluded that one is much like another. There are some more expensive, some more populous, but overall they are gorgeous and relaxing places to spend your time. No matter which part of the Caribbean you visit you will happy with the scenery.

My only real advice is to stay within the tourist/resort/"safe" areas designated on the maps since you are not an experienced islander. The Carribean is close to America, but is NOT America and some shady stuff goes on outside of the tourist areas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards