Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What Would You Wear?

Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
edited February 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
I saw others doing this and I was so so curious with previous conversations .. so.. if you got this invitation in the mail, what would you wear?
I think you have to click to enlarge. Let me know if you can't see wording or the venue or the time - I'll tell you these!

Thanks all!

ETA: The RSVP date is wrong! It has been changed :) Just so yall don't freak out about that monstrous return by date.

image   image   image

Re: What Would You Wear?

• Options
    I would wear a cocktail dress and my H would wear a suit.

• Options
    What Maggie said.
  • Options
    I'd wear a cocktail dress. 
  • Options
    Dark suit or light suit (like tan or light grey)?

image   image   image

• Options
    Cocktail dress and suit.

But because the ceremony begins in the evening with reception to follow, I'd fancy it up with jewelry and shoes. 
  • Options
    I am not queen of dressing nice and don't have a ton of dresses in my closet, but if I got that I would curl my hair, wear make-up, get my nails done (or do them myself) and wear dress and pumps. 
    The two dresses I own that I might wear look similar to (also no jewel thing though):

I would put flats in my purse just in case my feet hurt.  Also, I'm 23 (in case that affects how you read into my answer).

FI would wear the only suit he owned, which is darker than grey, but not straight black (charcoal maybe?) with a blue tie.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Dark suit or light suit (like tan or light grey)?
    Dark gray/charcoal because that is the only suit he has. Also it is an evening wedding and I think a light suit would be out of place.

• Options
    I am not queen of dressing nice and don't have a ton of dresses in my closet, but if I got that I would curl my hair, wear make-up, get my nails done (or do them myself) and wear dress and pumps. 
    The two dresses I own that I might wear look similar to (also no jewel thing though):

I would put flats in my purse just in case my feet hurt.  Also, I'm 23 (in case that affects how you read into my answer).

FI would wear the only suit he owned, which is darker than grey, but not straight black (charcoal maybe?) with a blue tie.
    I have worn dress 2 to 2 weddings now and gotten lots of compliments both times. I would consider wearing it or my floral halter to a wedding with this kind of invitation.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • Options
    Inkdancer said:

I have worn dress 2 to 2 weddings now and gotten lots of compliments both times. I would consider wearing it or my floral halter to a wedding with this kind of invitation.
    Yea my dress is a few years old so it isn't exactly the same, but very similar. :)   I only own those two nice dresses, my prom dresses (= not appropriate and do not fit), and some sundresses, so I have limited options. But anyone who knows me would know that me wearing heals at all = dressed up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I like that dress #2!

image   image   image

• Options
    I would wear a dress (knee length).  A cocktail dress if I had it, a nice wrap dress if I didn't.  H would wear a suit or slacks with a sport coat and tie.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I am wearing this dress to FSIL's evening wedding. Her invites were a little more plain, but same level of formality. The dress looks a bit more formal in person than in the pic, tho.
  • Options
    Yep, a cocktail dress for me and a dark suit for DH (he only has the one).
  • Options
    I'd wear a cocktail dress and FI would wear a suit.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    Jeans and a t-shirt with barbecue sauce stains on both.  Just kidding, I'd go for a knee-length dress with some jewelry to dress it up and a nice pair of heels. FI would wear a nice shirt with dark slacks and a nice jacket, or a suit if he could borrow one from a friend or family member.
  • Options
    I'd do my hair and make-up, and I'd wear heels, a cocktail dress, and nice jewelry. My partner would wear a dark suit with his nice dress shoes and a tie.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    A very nice cocktail dress in a dark color, heels and nice jewelery.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd also wear a cocktail dress and he'd wear a suit (the only ones he has are black and charcoal I think). But because it is a summer wedding, and the invitation itself seems to have a very summery color scheme, I'd be expecting more preppy/country-club chic than nightclub/gala glam and would probably try to wear a light-colored or floral dress, and be more on the simple/understated side with my accessories. 
  • Options
    I'm not seeing formal in that invitation, but I do see nice. I wouldn't do a cocktail dress or evening wear. But a nice dress or pants outfit, and heels. No sequins, evening fabrics. My date may or may not wear a tie.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    My FI would wear a black suit and a coloured button down shirt with a patterned tie.  I would wear a dress like this
    imageimageimageModcloth Tasteful Transition Dress in Blue - Lyst
    Along my single pair of heels (silver coloured) and a clutch.
    Edited to add details
  • Options
    Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014

I'm not seeing formal in that invitation, but I do see nice. I wouldn't do a cocktail dress or evening wear. But a nice dress or pants outfit, and heels. No sequins, evening fabrics. My date may or may not wear a tie.

Why is not formal?
    I didn't mention, but the invitation is embossed.

I feel like my guests then would grossly differ from what the WP and VIPs are wearing - bridesmaids and flower girls in floor length gowns, groomsmen in tuxedos, mothers in sparkly beaded floor length gowns, grandmothers in similar, dads in same tuxedos.

Does the difference matter?

ETA: autocorrect

image   image   image

• Options
    It could be the tree motif that is bringing down the formality level. I only wear a long dress to a black tie event or the opera, so be aware that most women will likely not wear long gowns even if the invites are very formal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the wedding party is usually way more dressy than guests at weddings where they have floor length BM dresses. I don't have much experience with them myself but have noticed it as I look at photo blogs. Guests don't want to upstage anyone and I wouldn't wear a long dress unless I knew it was black tie
  • Options
    I feel like it's a formal invitation with the formal wording and font. However, usually the bridal party and parents are more formal than most of the guests and that's ok. I agree with most other posters: I would wear a cocktail dress and FI would wear a suit.  I don't own a long gown, so unless I was invited to a black tie event, I would always go with a cocktail dress.

• Options
    I don't even own a floor length dress, so I wouldn't wear one (I don't go to any black tie events)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

It could be the tree motif that is bringing down the formality level. I only wear a long dress to a black tie event or the opera, so be aware that most women will likely not wear long gowns even if the invites are very formal.

Understandable. I'm not expecting women to wear long gowns.
    It's a hydrangea, actually. The paper stock is shimmery. I liked the hydrangea a lot. It's our flower.

image   image   image

• Options
    I am also in the camp where I would wear a nice cocktail dress and jazz it up with jewelry and FI would wear a dark suit.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'd also most likely wear a cocktail dress or possibly a sheath dress with a pretty design and FI would wear a dark suit. If this was for a daytime wedding, I'd go with a sundress and have FI wear nice pants and a blazer.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I would expect this is a very nice wedding but not the most formal I've ever been to.   Fi would wear a charcoal suit (his only one) and I would wear a cocktail dress with fancy accessories and nice hair/makeup.  I agree it's the flower motif bringing the invitation formality slightly down, but it's a very pretty invitation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I'd wear a nice cocktail dress and he'd wear his black suit.

I agree, the flower motif is making it less than uber formal, and in my experience/circle, if an RSVP doesn't a meal selection, it's indicative of a buffet (which is less formal than a plated meal).

I'd expect it to be very nice, but to the fanciest wedding ever.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards