Maine

Cupcakes?! Where? :)

My fiance and I have decided that we want to have cupcakes instead of a cake... possibly with a small cake topper that we can save. Regardless, I am having difficulty researching best cupcakes to find a few places to choose from. Could anyone recommend a place that does yummy cupcakes for a reasonable price? IE- UNDER $3 for each cupcake- preferable closer to $2. The wedding will be just outside of Bath but we live in MA, so I was thinking anything in Maine from Portland up to Bath and out to Lewiston/Auburn would be fine. We may consider or be interested in also adding whoopie pies, cookies, and other desserts as well.

Re: Cupcakes?! Where? :)

• hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2014
    I used Nothing Bakes Like a Parrott (South Portland) for my wedding.  Our cake was absolutely delicious, and our top layer, that we froze to eat on our first anniversary, tasted like it was fresh and hadn't been frozen for a year.  That's a pretty good sign of a quality, in my opinion.

According to her website, her cupcakes are $2.50 unfilled, or $2.75 filled.  I'm not sure if she has different pricing for a wedding.  

She has a ton of different flavors to choose from too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I have sampled some of her cakes and they are delicious!  I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch with her. Good luck.
  • Believe it or not- we are still trying to nail down someone for cakes. I was in contact with Nothing Bakes Like a Parrot- and liked what she had to offer... but then when I said I wanted to schedule a time to do a tasting to confirm that we will use them they stopped responding. I have emailed 2 or 3 times now with no response at all. I am planning to try to make a trip to Maine and visit the bakery itself for an impromptu tasting (if I can get there when it is open) and hopefully at that point they still have availability. I have had the same trouble with East End Cupcakes being unresponsive- and instead of responding with the simple information I requested to determine whether or not they were within budget they told me to call them to schedule a tasting.

5 months til the wedding and no progress. Never thought finding someone to make us simple cupcakes would be this difficult. My budget is more than reasonable, I do not want to pay $3 plus for each cupcake,and I want a small cake for cutting that is under $50. We also need delivery to Phippsburg, ME.
  • I'm sorry you're having such a challenge.

I have one more suggestion.  Personally, I have never had her cakes/cupcakes, but I know a number of people who have, and keep going back for other occasions.  I have no idea what she charges, but my guess would be that she's pretty reasonable.  She's based in Bath, and I know her personally because I've taught two of her kids.  I'm only aware of her facebook page, but I'm pretty sure you can contact her through there.  The business is called Cake Sensations.  https://www.facebook.com/cake.sensations.3
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks so much for the information.

Things only got worse with Nothing Bakes Like a Parrot. After she refused to respond to my inquiries (all were very simple and polite- no conflict here) My fiance informed me that he wanted to take a trip to Maine to try some cupcakes from a couple of bakeries last weekend. I called during business hours last week to let her know that we would be passing through and no-one answered, so I left a voicemail. I explained that while we would like so set up a tasting, we understood it may be too short of notice, and we would be fine with just trying a couple of cupcakes from the bakery. I followed up with an email. On Saturday, we headed that way and I still had not received a response to my email or voicemail, but we stopped in anyway. When we arrived, we were suprised that the cupcakes were not as "pretty" as they had been pictured on facebook or their website- but I decided I could overlook this with the assumption that they could probably step it up a bit for a wedding. While we were there, the owner was having a consult with another couple, so we explained to the young girl running the register that we had been in contact with Jessica previously, and that we haven't been able to connect with her since, we were there to try some cupcakes and get some more information. The girl told us that she did not have any information to give us, and she go the attention of the owner who came up and suggested that we write our email address on a piece of notebook paper. I told her at that point that she has my email address and that I had been calling and emailing her with no response. She didn't even apologize, or comp our cupcakes, she just looked disgruntled and walked away. This was when my fiance said lets get out of here, and I knew he was done with this place forever. We have absolutely no patience for businesses that cannot provide any customer service. C'mon lady, you are in the wedding business, and you need to step up the professionalism if you want to survive. I for one would NOT have your cake at my wedding even if it was free. That was more than 3 strikes and you are out!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards