Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Help! What are some factors you considered when choosing a wedding planner!?

For anybody who is currently in the process of finding a wedding planner/venue, or already has and it was successful or tragic!

I need some advice on what the most important things to look for in a wedding planner? What are some red flags/things to avoid, and what are some must-haves?

Thanks for your help!

Emily

Re: Help! What are some factors you considered when choosing a wedding planner!?

• Options
    look at cost, you should know your budget. Look at someone willing to stay within said budget. Look for good reviews.

Red flags: bad reviews, if you don't get along with them, attitude, unprofessional, unwilling to sign a contract, not willing to get back to you within a reasonable amount of time, etc.

other than that, no clue. We didn't use a wedding planner, but what I said above should be some pretty common sense things.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I was looking for someone who could work with my budget. I initially contact a company that was out of budget (I really admired their work, which I saw on Style Me Pretty), but they gladly recommended someone more in line with what I was looking for. When that planner turned out to be booked, she gladly recommended someone who was available. She turned out to be even cheaper. Score!
  • Options

We have just hired a wedding planner, and when selecting one we looked for someone with whom we had a good click, but also someone who has a lot of experience in arranging weddings with brides (and grooms) overseas. We’re getting married in the US, but FI and I live overseas. Furthermore, we were looking for someone who was used to working with foreign brides (I’m not American) and with incorporating cultural aspects of other countries into an ‘American’ wedding.

We decided on meeting with the planner we hired based on her email. She sounded really nice and friendly, but most of all she was very enthusiastic about working with us.

We met with two other planners, one was great but turned out to be too expensive, and the other was just not good enough. Asked virtually no questions, was less experienced, and did not seem all that excited to work with us.  

When meeting with Catherine, we appreciated the fact that she told us about her experience with other couples in our situation. She asked lots of questions of what we envisioned for our wedding, and is curious to learn about practices from other countries.  

I would recommend checking out the local TK message board for your state/ area, and see who is recommended by other knotties. Set up a meeting and see what you think.

• Options

look at cost, you should know your budget. Look at someone willing to stay within said budget. Look for good reviews.

Red flags: bad reviews, if you don't get along with them, attitude, unprofessional, unwilling to sign a contract, not willing to get back to you within a reasonable amount of time, etc.

other than that, no clue. We didn't use a wedding planner, but what I said above should be some pretty common sense things.

Bad reviews is actually a good sign so long as they're not too bad or too many. All businesses will have negative reviews. It's a bad sign if there's none because that can mean that the company removes bad reviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards