Catholic Weddings
Options

Where to start!?

missmarissa14missmarissa14 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
edited February 2014 in Catholic Weddings
My fiancé and I are both baptized Catholic. He went through confirmation and first holy communion. I did not. Neither of us are parishioners at a church where we live. We started attending mass at a local Catholic Church and the priest said we would need to talk to a priest located in the town we live in. I did that and unfortunately the priest has been very unhelpful. He's not returning my calls. Is it true that if I live in town "A" I cannot get married in town "B"? This seems kind of silly to me. I don't know what to do. We both really want to get married in a Catholic Church. I just feel lost and don't know where to go from here. I did not think the process would be this difficult and I honestly feel stupid asking for a priests help (like I should already know the answers.) Should we FIRST become parishioners, and THEN talk to the priest about our wedding and go through rcia classes? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Where to start!?

• Options
    It's not impossible for you to get married in a parish not in your town, but it would be much easier if one or both of you is registered at the parish where you want to marry (some churches just don't allow nonmembers to marry there).

I'm sorry if you feel like you're hitting a wall. I would start by registering with the parish and then explain to the priest that you and FI intend to build your family in THAT church.

Also, you don't HAVE to be confirmed for you to get married, although taking RCIA at the parish where you want to marry would serve as another sign of your commitment to including the church in your marriage.

If you want answers to some common questions, check out catholicweddinghelp.com. Good luck and congratulations!
    Anniversary

• Options
    It is really helpful to become a parishioner at your local parish, even if you plan to get married at your hometown church.  At least from my experience, I found that my local church helped me with the process to get married at a different church.  They connected me with the right people to talk to and walked me through the paperwork.  I am (almost) done with my pre-cana preparation at my local parish.  They will send everything up to the priest who will be marrying me.  By being a parishioner, you become part of the community and you can find resources to help you through the process.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for your advice. I think that is a good place to start and definitely makes sense. We will plan to go to our local church and become parishioners and go from there :)
  • Options
    We were married in our hometown even though we lived (and belonged to a church) in another town.  It's dfeinitly possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards