Flowers
Options

Real or silk?? Please help!

Which is better? I've heard horror stories about flowers breaking or constantly having to put them in water and what a pain it was with real flowers. Silk ones can be pretty but I don't want the fake look. However, if you go with silk once the boquet is made they want you to pay for it. Its not like you can say never mind I don't like that and go with real.

Re: Real or silk?? Please help!

• Options
    I am a firm believer in fresh flowers.  I have seen some amazing silk flowers but they cost almost double what fresh flowers would cost.

I had fresh flowers at my wedding.  They really weren't a pain to deal with.  The hand tied bouquets stayed in their vases with some water until they were needed.  Once into the reception the bouquets went back into their vases to decorate the bar area.  All other flowers were already in place looking great so I really don't know what is such a pain about real flowers.  Did I have a flower head break in my bouquet?  Yup, but that is also because I accidentally bumped into H but it was only one flower and you couldn't tell that anything happened.  Unless you plan on swinging your bouquet around, playing catch with it, or dropping it multiple times the flowers should be fine and stay unbroken.

• Options
    I would definitely go with fresh flowers. They look nice, smell nice, and just make people happy! There are tons of creative ways to keep the flowers happy and fresh while still nicely displayed. You can do some amazing things with mason jars. Look up some ideas on Pinterest (or inn a general Google search) and find what would work for you and your theme! =) 

Another tip, keep the flowers well-hydrated and stored in a cool place up until the last minute possible. Some venues even offer a cooler for flowers, ask about that if you can! 

The type of flowers you use makes a difference, too. If you're having a fall wedding, you can use woody stems in beautiful, earthy-toned arrangements that will last for MONTHS out of water (think arroyo willow, french willow, curly willow). Some of these will still be around for winter weddings depending on where you are. Orchids are beautiful and are pretty low maintenance. And depending where your venue is, there might be some beautiful foliage around you.

Hope this helps! =)

• Options
    thanks for the replies ladies. i do tend to drop stuff a lot but I will be very careful with my boquet. I was just worried about them withering. I'm using lillies and hydrangea.
  • Options
    Just make sure to keep your bouquet in some water and not out in the heat and it should be fine. Also if you are using regular lilies as opposed to calla lilies make sure that all the pollen pieces are pulled off because you don't want that to get on your dress.

• Options
    What about preserved flowers ? Ive been tossing that Idea around myself , (no wedding party) and it wou, d give my mom and I some time to diy. Anyone ever work with these? 
  • Options

What you would miss when it comes to flowers is the essence and the aroma which has nothing to do with silk flowers, though originals flower do happens to create mess when children are around but it depends what you opt for but when it comes to bigger occasions I would always opt for original flowers.

• Options
    Are flowers that important to you? That's what matters. I know that, for me, flowers are just an extra decoration, and I couldn't really care less if they look real or not. I'm more concerned about using that money to properly host my guests. I can't imagine spending any more than around $40 on my bouquet, and that wasn't possible with real flowers. It's all up to you! Flowers are not important in the grand scheme of things; if you want to spend a ton of money on them-- go for it. If not, it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    I haven't placed an order yet, but I think I am going to go with fake flowers from www.justfakeitbouquets.com.  They offer artificial "real touch" flowers that look pretty nice.  The quote I got from them was more budget friendly than quotes I'd gotten from florists in my area.  I also had a pretty specific idea of what flowers I wanted and how I wanted them arranged, and they will send photos as they make them so you can make changes during the process.

I swear I'm not being paid by them to say this; just a company I found online that had the flowers I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards