Flowers

Purple: lilacs, roses and orchids

I am working with a couple who are planning a spring 2015 wedding. Both the bride and bridegroom have commitments that won't be completed until the end of the year. Nancy, the bride-to-be, wants to be able to have enough time to plan and work on the wedding.

Nancy's favorite hues are in the purple family -- lavender, lilac, orchid, etc. Her first choice for flowers are lilacs. To be honest, I have never seen lilacs in a bridal bouquet. Has anyone seen or used lilacs in the wedding bouquet? How available are lilacs for bouquets? Were the lilacs used in a bouquet or were the flowers in baskets.

Since there are questions about using lilacs, Nancy said that her second choice would be sterling silver roses. Sterling silver roses are purple-gray in color and are sometimes called the perfumers' rose since they have a wonderful scent. I have received and sent such roses. However, I don't how available such roses might be.

If nothing else is available, Nancy could go with orchids.

Any feedback that you care to offer would be appreciated. Thanking everyone in advance

Re: Purple: lilacs, roses and orchids

• Are you their wedding planner?  If so, you should know how to figure these things out, by you know, talking to the florist (or florists) you typically work with.

Lilacs are very season dependent and are not available for that long.  They typically bloom in late spring once colder temperatures dissipate.  And once they bloom they only last for 2-3 weeks.  So you have a very short time period.  Lilacs can certainly be used in a bridal bouquet but once out of water they will start to wilt pretty quickly.  So the bouquet will need to stay in water until the last minute and then replaced in the water as soon as pictures are done.

As for roses, pretty much every color rose that you can think of is available all year round due to them being grown in South America.  Most florists use wholesalers who can get almost any flower you need at any time of the year, but of course with some season dependent flowers you may shell out a lot more money to get them in and they won't look nearly as nice as they would when they are in season.

Also give some thought in using stock, lisianthus, iris, tulips, and hydrangea, for other purple flower family choices as well.

• My friend used lilacs for her wedding. It was in mid-April, not sure about exact availability but here's what her bouquet looked like...
  • Are these for the bouquet only, or also for the centerpieces? I wouldn't use heavily scented flowers (like lilacs) on the tables, because their fragrance might interfere with people's enjoyment of their food. But the bouquet is fine! As for your questions, just ask your florist. You're paying for their knowledge.
  • My color is purple too. I wanted to use lilacs in FMIL's corsage because her name is Lila which means lilac. My florist did not recommend them for the reason Maggie said - they wilt too quickly.

My bouquet will have picasso calla lilies, dendrobium orchids, and hydrangea. BM's will have 3 colors of hydrangea, hypericum berries,and something lavender whose name escapes me. FG will have a pomander of dendrobium orchids. GM will have picasso calla lily bouts.
  • My color is purple too. I wanted to use lilacs in FMIL's corsage because her name is Lila which means lilac. My florist did not recommend them for the reason Maggie said - they wilt too quickly.

My bouquet will have picasso calla lilies, dendrobium orchids, and hydrangea. BM's will have 3 colors of hydrangea, hypericum berries,and something lavender whose name escapes me. FG will have a pomander of dendrobium orchids. GM will have picasso calla lily bouts.
    Hydrangeas will wilt really quickly too, especially if it is hot in the room/outside.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • The florist told me we should keep them in the wet paper towels when not using the bouquets.
  • AprilH81 said:
    My color is purple too. I wanted to use lilacs in FMIL's corsage because her name is Lila which means lilac. My florist did not recommend them for the reason Maggie said - they wilt too quickly.

Hydrangeas will wilt really quickly too, especially if it is hot in the room/outside.
    Hydrangeas will be fine if they are kept hydrated, meaning in vases with a bit of water or a wet paper towel wrapped around the stems.

Flowers such as hydrangeas and lilacs are not good for corsages and bouts because there is no water supply and they will basically wilt within an hour.

• the lilacs are beautiful...IF.....you are handed your bouquet as you walk down the aisle. they will be wilted shortly after the ceremony............bouts/corsages ae totally not do-able with lilacs or hydrangea. totally agree with maggie0829.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards