New Jersey

America bridal show "free" honeymoon not true! Watch out!

My fiancé and I were recently engaged in December and like any newly engaged couple, we were just venturing out into the bridal world of planning! I thought it would be a great idea to attend a bridal show in the area we are getting married in New Jersey to help us find venues and the various vendors we need to make our day super special. We signed up for the American Bridal show at FDU this past Saturday and thought, hey what do we have to lose? When we arrived, the event was just what we expected. Lots of people trying to get your business, but all of them very pleasant and helpful. The grand prize for the event, like they do at a lot of bridal shows, was advertised as a 7 night honeymoon in Hawaii. We entered like all participants and continued to collect information for our big day by visiting other vendors. When it came time for the grand prize drawing, my name was called! I screamed like a girl and hugged my fiancé! He was so excited because we had no idea how we would pay for a honeymoon! We were too afraid to open the envelope, so we waited until we left the event. Once we got outside, it said a certificate from vacation USA By Ordenza marketing. Ok......thought it was a free honeymoon. Still excited! A few family members checked it out for us to see if it was a legit program. With more research and reading the fine print, things did not add up. The fees and taxes were over $3000!!!! Does that seem right???? I think not! My awesome fiancé called the company and emailed them asking what this was all about and what was really included in this honeymoon package. The response we had proved our belief that this whole thing was bogus. They said it was a promotional certificate and once we paid $100, we would have access to see the resorts. Pay for a free honeymoon? I think not! I am writing this to warn anyone attending a bridal show and winning a "honeymoon." People will play off your emotions because they know how special your day is supposed to be. They will try to make you a piece of bait as they prey off your wallets. Most importantly, we are very disappointed in the American bridal show for false advertising and fooling the guests of the event thinking someone "won" a honeymoon. Shame on you and I hope no one else false for this.

Re: America bridal show "free" honeymoon not true! Watch out!

• Bcubby1 said:

My fiancé and I were recently engaged in December and like any newly engaged couple, we were just venturing out into the bridal world of planning! I thought it would be a great idea to attend a bridal show in the area we are getting married in New Jersey to help us find venues and the various vendors we need to make our day super special. We signed up for the American Bridal show at FDU this past Saturday and thought, hey what do we have to lose? When we arrived, the event was just what we expected. Lots of people trying to get your business, but all of them very pleasant and helpful. The grand prize for the event, like they do at a lot of bridal shows, was advertised as a 7 night honeymoon in Hawaii. We entered like all participants and continued to collect information for our big day by visiting other vendors. When it came time for the grand prize drawing, my name was called! I screamed like a girl and hugged my fiancé! He was so excited because we had no idea how we would pay for a honeymoon! We were too afraid to open the envelope, so we waited until we left the event. Once we got outside, it said a certificate from vacation USA By Ordenza marketing. Ok......thought it was a free honeymoon. Still excited! A few family members checked it out for us to see if it was a legit program. With more research and reading the fine print, things did not add up. The fees and taxes were over $3000!!!! Does that seem right???? I think not! My awesome fiancé called the company and emailed them asking what this was all about and what was really included in this honeymoon package. The response we had proved our belief that this whole thing was bogus. They said it was a promotional certificate and once we paid $100, we would have access to see the resorts. Pay for a free honeymoon? I think not! I am writing this to warn anyone attending a bridal show and winning a "honeymoon." People will play off your emotions because they know how special your day is supposed to be. They will try to make you a piece of bait as they prey off your wallets. Most importantly, we are very disappointed in the American bridal show for false advertising and fooling the guests of the event thinking someone "won" a honeymoon. Shame on you and I hope no one else false for this.

Sorry you were disappointed. I didn't enter any contests when I attended because I kind of figured there was something up with it. I also ignore any calls or emails that say I won anything. Nothings for free. Hope your next bridal show experience is better.
  • yeah, my FI and I had the same thing happen to us - we didn't win the grand prize drawing but we did get an email from the American Bridal show organizer saying we had won a door prize. Obviously they didn't know what it was and wouldn't tell us anything at all - just that we could pick it up at the next bridal show we came to. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) there was one held close by, so we swung by to pick it up and it was the same thing - a free 2/3 night stay at one of their locations, but we had to pay the taxes & fees AND we had to send them $100 before we could even look at the properties. I was pretty PO'd myself.
  • Hey, girl! :) glad to see you on here!
  • Sorry to hear this happened.  I was actually at that same bridal show when you and your FI won.  Like mellyD, we also won a door prize from the same event but it was so sketchy I refused to pick it up.
  • TerriHuggTerriHugg member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2014
    So sorry about your experience. It's a shame that there are so many companies taking advantage of brides with these free honeymoons. 

However, I do want to point out that free honeymoons do exist.  I know because I won one. Last year, I won the free honeymoon to a Dreams resort in Mexico at a bridal show held by Wedding, Set, Go. 

Like most people I was indeed skeptical. The trip was being offered by the Travel Smiths in Point Pleasant. I called them and they told me the hotel accommodations were paid for. All I needed to do was pay for my flight there. Despite not paying them anything, they're customer service was amazing. The Travel Smith's definitely went above and beyond my expectations. When it was time for my trip I was still skeptical thinking they were going to ask for money at check-in, but I was so wrong. The hotel clerks didn't even ask for the typical credit card for security. They just asked for my name and gave us our room key. And on top that, we got upgraded! 

So yes, I agree you need to be careful about those people who are running scams. But there are still some true companies giving out free honeymoons out there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards