Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Phone consultation

Is a phone consultation with a photog a normal thing?  Obviously we would need to meet in person and see albums before really booking him, so I'm assuming this phone chat will just be to go over pricing, # of hours, etc.  

What should I be asking during the phone call, and what should I wait and ask if we decide to do an in-person meet up?  Do you think a phone consultation is just pointless for a photog?  He has plenty of pictures on his website gallery, but of course I would really like to see a few albums up close as well.

I searched but didn't find any threads about phone consults, so I hope I'm not duplicating somebody else's question.  This is my first meeting with a photog and I completely have no idea what to ask.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Phone consultation

• We Skyped with our photographer, but that's because she lives in a different state. In addition to seeing the photos and albums, it's also important to get a feel for the photographer's personality. That's kind of hard to do over the phone. Can you just ask your photographer for an in-person consultation instead?
  • One other thing you might want to look at is full sets of wedding pictures.  What a photographer puts in their online portfolio is going to be the best of the best.  When I contacted my photographer and decided to set up a meeting, she granted me access to the full online gallery of 3 weddings she had done recently.  I thought it was really useful to see the full range of what she does and what the "average" photos look like - not just the best of the best that go in her portfolio.
  • I don't see the point of a phone consultation, personally. I would want them to email me the price list, package options, contact and their availability and then if I like what I read, I'll book an in person consultation to see if I "click" with the photog.

I would be worried that the phone call is just a way to pressure you into booking them. Sort of like DJs that wanted to meet before telling me the pricing. I wouldn't meet with anyone who wouldn't share the price upfront - this ended up including an acquaintance I considered using, but even he wan't to meet before giving me prices so I crossed him off the list.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks for the advice, everybody.  He did email me a price list and comparison of what's included with their packages.  So I have an idea of what he's offering before the consultation.

I also read over our emails and realized I just assumed he meant a phone call: he just said "let's chat at X time."  I emailed him again to clarify.  Maybe he means in person but it just wasn't clear.

I feel so clueless on photography in general.  :-/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Here's my quick suggestions for you consultation…
    Look for a number of wedding, not just one good wedding. Look at the composition of the photos. Take a good look at group photos, everyone LOVES the photojournalistic poses of the B&G - but they often overlook the group images. You know the one of your whole family that you mom wants not he mantle. Don't get caught up in the still life pics - anyone can put a ring on a heel of a pretty shoe or take a photo of a dress in a window - just tell them you want it.
    Ask about back up cameras. Second shooters. What type of lenses do they prefer and why. How do they deal with lighting. Do they have experience at your venue?
    Do you get the digital rights? Do you get ALL the photos or how many? Are they edited? What does edited mean to them? How big will you be able to print them/ how large will the files be? Turn around time.
    And above all - are you comfortable around them??
    GL! :)

• Thank you everyone.  Turned out we were able to set up an in-person meeting, which was much better than a phone consult.  We really liked the guy but it was our first photog meeting and he's on the far low end of our budget, so we're hoping to meet with a few others in the next several weeks to compare.

On another note if anybody is still following this... how important is a second shooter?  We're expecting about 160 people.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• A second shooter is nice to have because they let you see different angles—for example, you about to walk down the aisle and your FI waiting for you at the altar. But they're definitely not necessary. 
  • A second shooter can take photos of the groom & his party while they are getting ready while the main shooter is following the bride around while she gets ready. A second shoot will also help the main photographer help get people into place for group shots or even for individual shots help make sure your dress is right and things are in position. Are they necessary? No, but if you can afford, you will get more options on photos because you have two people at different places taking photos at the same time.
  • I think a second shooter is very important, but I'm a photog (not weddings) and want the back-up and different angles. I think they are most important for the ceremony, helpful for the getting ready, but you want to make sure you have the must have moments in the ceremony.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards