Wedding Woes

Unemployed

I lost my job a few weeks ago and am getting married in 53 days. I was laid off. It's been really stressful trying to plan a wedding and now trying to find a job and worrying about money. My fiance has been very supportive, but I feel like it's kind of taking away from the whole experience. I'm so worried that I won't find something soon. I feel guilty for not having found one yet. I just don't want to go into a marriage with this kind of baggage. Plus not only do I get to hear people's advice about the wedding but now I get to hear job searching/networking advice. It's enough to make me want to go hide out somewhere far away!

Sorry for the rant :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Unemployed

• I was laid off 6 months prior to my wedding.  A day before rehearsal, I was offered a temp position and had to start the Monday after our wedding weekend.  I was thrilled to have anything. 

It was tough and I felt really stressed.  We were able to dial back a couple of things for the wedding, but most things were already set and we had to pay balances to our vendors.  I moved in with my FI to save money and used savings to pay the rest of the wedding bills (we paid for everything by ourselves). 

This is not baggage you are bringing into your marriage.  It's life.  You or your FI might be laid off after the wedding too.  This is where the "for better or worse, etc." comes in.  Sometimes life sucks - and you just deal with it together.  It's not fun but it is what it is. 

Take a deep breath and keep things in perspective.

• I lost my job a few weeks ago and am getting married in 53 days. I was laid off. It's been really stressful trying to plan a wedding and now trying to find a job and worrying about money. My fiance has been very supportive, but I feel like it's kind of taking away from the whole experience. I'm so worried that I won't find something soon. I feel guilty for not having found one yet. I just don't want to go into a marriage with this kind of baggage. Plus not only do I get to hear people's advice about the wedding but now I get to hear job searching/networking advice. It's enough to make me want to go hide out somewhere far away!

Sorry for the rant :)
    I hope that you find something soon! I know how anxious you feel, for a while FI couldn't find something non-temp and it was very frustrating. Relax though, just apply where you can and take the extra time to finalize any wedding things... 

Best of luck!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • That really, really sucks and I'm so sorry! I hope that you find a new job soon!

• Ugh, I'm sorry!  And I want to second @MNNEbride's comment that you have nothing to feel guilty about or think this is baggage.  For better or for worse, for richer or for poorer.  It's just life, shit happens, and it sounds like you did nothing wrong.  Best of luck finding something else!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• laid off is considerably different than "fired with cause" - a lay-off is not additional baggage brought to the relationship.

You and your FI are going to face tough situations like this throughout your marriage. the timing sucks, and it will likely cause stress - so the challenge is to just keep doing what you need to do and focus on the goals (new job, happy marriage). 

My H has been laid off 2x (the first time was shortly after we had purchased our first home), and he also left a job due to a cross country move for my career. I was pregnant when we relocated from PA to TX - so not only was there stress from frequent business trips, coordinating a cross-country move, sale of a house, purchase of a house, DK being unemployed, I ended up hospitalized at 33 weeks with preeclampsia and delivered at 34 weeks. Our daughter was in the NICU for 12 days, my H was out of work, and since I had a c-section, I was only getting paid for my first 8 weeks of leave. There was a lot to deal with, but we made it work, and are stronger for having gone through that together. 
  • Yikes! Sorry to hear about this. But as PPs said, it isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel bad. I hope you find something soon.

Stress is kind of unavoidable in this situation!
  • Aw thanks, ladies. I'm feeling better already :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards