Wedding Party

What should my officiant wear?

Our officiant is going to be a (make) friend who is not a member of the clergy. The groom is wearing a grey tux, and the best man will be in a black tux. FOB will be in a black tux as well. What should the officiant wear? A tux seems weird, but will he look underdressed next to the other guys up front?

Re: What should my officiant wear?

• A suit he already owns is fine.  Example:
    But I suppose he could wear a tuxedo like the groomsmen are wearing.
  • We had a friend officiate our ceremony. My H and his guys were in tuxes. Our friend/officiant was in a black suit. He did not look underdressed.

• Thank you so much!  Yes, he has asked me what to wear, and knowing him, he is looking for an excuse to go shopping!  I think I will suggest a dark suit that will set him apart from the groom and best man, but will still look dashing!  Thank you again!

• For heaven's sake, tuxedos are black!  Get your FI properly dressed.  Never mind about the officiant!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @maggie0829 I'm obsessed with your bouquet in that picture. What kinds of flowers are in it? I'm meeting with a florist next weekend and I have no idea what names of things are! 

• @jenna8984 - Thanks!  My florist kicked butt on my bouquet.  All I told her was that I wanted a huge bouquet with green orchids.  As for flowers there are hydrangeas, roses, orchids, lisianthus, and hypericum berries, and stock in it.

• My FI and Groomesmen wore black tuxes and my officiant (who was my uncle and just did the "officiant for the day" thing) was going to wear a black suit until he realized that moths ate it?!?! lol so he wore a grey suit... and it looked great! (picture below)

Anniversary
  • A friend of mine is an officiant. He wears a suit. He has a few different color suits, not sure how he decides which one to wear. And then he wears an approriate tie, I have seen photos where if it's close friends of his, he will wear a tie that goes with the wedding colors.
  • I've been wondering this too!  My dad is our officiant.   My fiance and the groomsmen are opting for light tan suits, rather than tuxes.  I know that if the groom/groomsmen wear tuxes, the fathers usually do too, but we don't want our officiant(/dad) to be matching my fiance!  We're considering just telling both dads to wear whatever they want...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards