Registry and Gift Forum

Can't decide between Target & Kohl's

I'm having a hard time deciding between registering at Kohl's or Target. We're also registering at BBB and Macy's for sure, but I can't seem to choose the third. I really like Kohl's kitchen and dining options, but my FI really wants Target because we're planning on registering for stuff outside the "normal" registry, such as home stereo equipment or other electronics. We could do all of them, but I think that 4 registries is a little excessive. HELP!

Re: Can't decide between Target & Kohl's

• There have been negative comments about both on here. I don't know anything about the Target registry other than what I have seen on here, but supposedly the stock varies greatly from store to store and between store/ online, which can make it difficult. Kohl's is reported to be glitchy although I registered there anyway because I love Kohl's.

If you happen to have a Kohl's credit card, you can link it to your registry and get rewards back so that could be a factor.
  • I personally liked Kohls-- I had our kitchen, small appliances, bedding and bath towels, etc there and did all the other big stuff at BBB (china, glassware, kitchen accessories, decor etc).  I have heard Target was not as accommodating with returns and stuff usually got discontinued in stores frequently since they tend to change stuff based on the season.

With Kohls, my favorite thing was their bonuses. After the wedding I was sent a discount card good for 15% off my entire purchase that I could use anytime (in store or online) for 3 months after the wedding (and that was 15% IN ADDITION to anything already on sale.... way better than a one time deal you will get at BBB!  Plus we got Kohls cash bonus reward from all the purchases made from the registry and the 3 months afterwards. It was awesome just getting a gift card for $100+ to use of whatever we wanted in store (not just what was left on the registry... and had another 3 months to use it).  Guests seemed to like it since they regularly have good sales too. We pretty much received everything on that registry.

My only complaint with them was even when people bought from the registry it was not always marked as bought...so I ended up getting like 4 purple toasters and a lot more towels and bowls I needed...but returns/exchanges were easy to do so I just returned it for credit and was able to buying something else.  So I would have to manually have them "mark as bought" if I got things that were not marked off.  (the toaster, certain towels and bowl were the only items that happened to).

Anniversary
  • We went with Target ONLY because they have the linens I like, plus the electronics for him. 

I would totally go with Kohl's though because their return policy is amazing. You can return something literally 5 years later. (Target's are known for sucking- you only have 90 days) Plus their discounts are way better. Not a huge deal, but when you're buying something big you didn't get, it could add up. 
  • I hate Kohl's registry. I had a huge problem that caused me to stop shopping there all together for a year.
    Either way I think 4 is excessive. If you like Kohl's kitchen and dining - do you need both BBB & Macy's? Or does one of them have everything you are registering for at the other? They carry so much of the same stuff maybe you could drop one of them if you want both Target & Kohl's.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Thanks everyone for the input! We've been living together for awhile so we already have a lot of the "normal" household items you'd put on a registry and my FI thought it'd be nice to register for some things we would like to treat ourselves to. So that's why we thought about Target over Kohl's. I chose Macy's because on all the things I've read about registering they said it's usual to have a few high-end items on your registry (I know you don't have to do everything by the book but it was just an idea). I may scratch Macy's off and just go with BBB, target and Kohl's since between the three of them they've got everything we could think of to get. 
  • I find it weird you're choosing your stores without first considering what you want to register for from each store. We chose BBB because they had the china place setting we wanted at a better price than Macys did. We chose Kohls because they had the bedding we wanted and Target because it's a lower price point and I wanted to make things affordable for our wedding guests. Target does change out stock far more than Kohls & BBB so I did have to monitor that but I was a registry stalker anyway so no big deal. I didn't end up registering for much at Kohls. Other than the bedding I found some serving stuff and some kitchen towels but it had maybe 10 items on it at most. I'd sit down and make a list of what you want and then determine what store it would be best to get each thing at. You say Macys because they have high end stuff. What is it you're wanting that's high end? BBB carries many of the same or similar items. Are they cheaper or more expensive? And do those high end items really matter? Oh, and Target was fabulous for returns so I don't know what other people have had issues with.
  • NdemickNdemick member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2014
    @scribe95 We've been living together for a very long time so we already have a lot of the things we "need". And like you said people are buying us gifts, why would we not want to register for things we really want. I don't need 10 toasters or 50 bath towels, etc. We'd like a nice sound bar for our television, or a photo printer, for example. If we register for it and no one buys it, so be it, but if they do then that's great!
  • If you are interested in housewares as well as other things, I would consider amazon.com. We are registered there, and we found that a lot of things are a better deal, like the stereo receiver FI "needs."
    Anniversary

• From my personal experience, Kohls has the absolute worst customer service call center. Keep this in mind if you ever plan on returning an item you purchase online. I am currently dealing with an issue that I ended up just asking for a simple refund. I'm going on week SEVEN of no resolution, no refund, nothing. Customer service reps are not exactly nice either.
  • I had a bad experience with the Target wedding registry.  They rotate their products too often.  I was getting an email from them every few weeks saying that something was no longer available.  Plus, lots of things are either available only online or only in store.  It gets very difficult to manage.  I ended up dumping it and setting up a registry at BBB because they don't seem to have the same issues.  
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • I agree with hidden option number 5...Amazon.  I registered there and love it!  They have everything under the sun, and it's usually cheaper than anywhere else.  They also price match so when you get your completion discount, you will be sitting pretty.  Plus, it's something that anyone with a computer has easy access to.  
  • We did Target because we wanted to register for some things that weren't normal. We registered for things that would make for fun nights hanging out with friends like a variety of board games, some yard games, some outdoor lights for the summer time. Also for the kitchen stuff they had a nice variety of price range of things so we were able to find things that fit everyone's budget.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards