Moms and Maids

Multiple Wedding Showers?

randerson123randerson123 member
5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
edited February 2014 in Moms and Maids
I've never been to ANY wedding showers in my life other than my own, so I'm kind of bumbling through this wedding showers thing in the dark.

Wedding is at the end of May. Last month, my bridesmaids threw us an awesome co-ed wedding shower. One of my girls even flew out from across the country to do it, I was so flattered.

His parents live 3 hours away in LA, mine live about 14 hours away with no direct/cheap flights. His mom wants to have her friend, that I've never met, throw me a wedding shower in LA in early May. Future MIL showed me the guest list she's come up with so far. The guest list is future MIL's female relatives and friends, some that I know, some that I don't.

Future MIL emailed me and asked who else I want to invite. Her friend said she is really looking forward to meeting my friends and family. I'm just not sure how to approach this. I don't feel right asking my mom and other female family members to buy a $400 plane ticket, rent a car and hotel to come to this shower when they'll be doing the same thing in less than a month. Likewise, if I invited my local friends, I think they would have to get a hotel for the night since it's 3 hours away (I will stay at his mom's house but there's not a ton of space).

What would you do?? I'm leaning towards just inviting one or two of my closest friends ... even that I feel kind of weird about doing.

Re: Multiple Wedding Showers?

• I would politely decline this shower in LA. There's nothing wrong with declining showers. Do what makes you comfortable.

No one should be invited to a wedding shower that isn't invited to the wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It is true that everyone who is invited to pre-wedding parties are invited to the wedding. Unless you belong to a church that insists on hosting a shower for you. I've heard about and been to these. Those ladies host a shower regardless of invitation status.

I wouldn't personally have a problem accepting the offer of that shower. I would just make sure it's local people that are invited (3 or less hour drive). That's just me.

You aren't comfortable with it then you can politely decline.

Would declining damage your relationship with FMIL?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've never been to ANY wedding showers in my life other than my own, so I'm kind of bumbling through this wedding showers thing in the dark.

Wedding is at the end of May. Last month, my bridesmaids threw us an awesome co-ed wedding shower. One of my girls even flew out from across the country to do it, I was so flattered.

His parents live 3 hours away in LA, mine live about 14 hours away with no direct/cheap flights. His mom wants to have her friend, that I've never met, throw me a wedding shower in LA in early May. Future MIL showed me the guest list she's come up with so far. The guest list is future MIL's female relatives and friends, some that I know, some that I don't.

Future MIL emailed me and asked who else I want to invite. Her friend said she is really looking forward to meeting my friends and family. I'm just not sure how to approach this. I don't feel right asking my mom and other female family members to buy a $400 plane ticket, rent a car and hotel to come to this shower when they'll be doing the same thing in less than a month. Likewise, if I invited my local friends, I think they would have to get a hotel for the night since it's 3 hours away (I will stay at his mom's house but there's not a ton of space).

What would you do?? I'm leaning towards just inviting one or two of my closest friends ... even that I feel kind of weird about doing.
    Are your FMIL's friends going to be invited to the wedding?  If not, then decline the shower.  Also, since you have already had a shower, you should not invite anyone from that shower to the new one.  Multiple showers are fine, but usually only the BP, the moms, and immediate family gets invited to all of them.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards