Honeymoon Discussions

General Travel Advice

My friend posted on Facebook looking for suggestions where to honeymoon. I tagged my mom in it because she's a travel agent. After about 15 people listed places, my mom's response was " Call me and we can discuss. Each person/couple has their own idea of the perfect place and their own idea of a realistic budget (both time and money). You should be getting that now that you have had all of the above choices. Vegas is good for Dave, Jamaica is good for Kim, Italy is good for Dan, cruise is good for Melissa... DO NOT base your decision on somebody elses preferences."

I think that's really good advice when trying to chose where to go!! 

Re: General Travel Advice

• jenna8984 said:
    My friend posted on Facebook looking for suggestions where to honeymoon. I tagged my mom in it because she's a travel agent. After about 15 people listed places, my mom's response was " Call me and we can discuss. Each person/couple has their own idea of the perfect place and their own idea of a realistic budget (both time and money). You should be getting that now that you have had all of the above choices. Vegas is good for Dave, Jamaica is good for Kim, Italy is good for Dan, cruise is good for Melissa... DO NOT base your decision on somebody elses preferences."

I think that's really good advice when trying to chose where to go!! 
    SO agree with this!!! My idea of a fantastic vacation may make someone cringe. My idea of "inexpensive" may be outlandish and indulgent to someone else. A good TA will guide the client based on their preferences and budget and not just pump out prices. It does kill me that I see girls on here who clearly need guidance and advice on their HM, yet they are either not consulting an actual professional or are getting ideas from girls on here and not having their TA do the research for them. That is what they are there for!!!

• It is true, but I also think it is worthwhile to talk to your friends. Yeah, their ideas might not be right for you, but you also might hear something you hadn't thought of or use their plans as a jumping off point to create something that's right for you. Though "Where should we honeymoon?" is a super broad question. It's easier if someone is able to specify some of the stuff they like or want to do.
  • It's great advice! Even in my own marriage I go nuts sitting on a beach and my husband isn't a big fan of sight seeing or doing activities.
  • Definitely good advice. Preferences are so diverse. DH and I are not cruisers or AI types so what we enjoy might suck for another couple. My mom can lay on a beach for a week straight....I'd die of boredom.

Add to that the fact that people have different levels of experience and comfort with traveling and travel planning. Talking to a pro could be very helpful.
  • emmyg65 said:
    It is true, but I also think it is worthwhile to talk to your friends. Yeah, their ideas might not be right for you, but you also might hear something you hadn't thought of or use their plans as a jumping off point to create something that's right for you. Though "Where should we honeymoon?" is a super broad question. It's easier if someone is able to specify some of the stuff they like or want to do.
    I completely agree.  Many of our travels are a result of hearing about a place from a friend, colleague or just by watching The Bachelor.  :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards