Wedding Etiquette Forum

Legit website for cheap dresses?

Hi all,
  I came across a website that seems to have really phenomenal deals on Pnani Tornai wedding dresses.  Has anyone out there ever heard of this site or used it?  I would like to know if it is a legitimate website before spending money on a dress and possibly get my identity stolen.  Thanks so much!

Re: Legit website for cheap dresses?

• That's what I figured, but it appears that the sellers have had legitimate transactions with many costumers and they get feedback (similar to ebay).  When I was searching through sellers, it seems like everything is real, but I'm still not sure.  
  • It's located in China. So I'm pretty confident it's a knock off site. That, and you won't find Pnina for $200.

Try preownedweddingdresses.com
  • I know a young girl that ordered one of those "discount" dresses from a Chinese site before. They're poorly made knock-offs (not even close to the real thing) and it takes months for it to arrive if it does at all. Cheap fabric, poor stitching that looked like a blind 5 year old did it, and off-color. The poor girl spent more on alterations and getting it fixed than what it would have cost to just buy a dress in a bridal shop in the US. Stay far far away. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No chance in hell.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • OP, avoid knockoff sites from overseas, you'll likely end up heartbroken and out cash. If you have your heart set on a designer dress, or a dress that's seriously out of your budget, consider buying one pre-owned. There are lots of great sites out there, just google it. I originally didn't plan to wear a wedding dress, but fell in love with a dress I couldn't justify the price of. I found it brand new on Ebay for 50% off. The woman who owned it had dress regret, changed her mind and never wore it. You may end up getting lucky like that or on preownedweddingdresses.com, tradesy.com or oncewed.com. Good luck! 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Kattlekr said:
    Hi all,
      I came across a website that seems to have really phenomenal deals on Pnani Tornai wedding dresses.  Has anyone out there ever heard of this site or used it?  I would like to know if it is a legitimate website before spending money on a dress and possibly get my identity stolen.  Thanks so much!

Pnina Tournai designs only for Kleinfeld's in New York.  You really want a $20,000 wedding dress?
    Stop looking at photos on the internet and go try on some real dresses in your price range.  The internet photos are so distorted, you can't really tell how a dress would look on you.
    There are a few USA discounter ordering services, but they do not have a website to show you any pictures.  Pearl's Place, the one we used, doesn't want to sell you a dress unless you have actually tried it on in person, because there is no return on a wedding dress! 
    if you find a dress you love (not Maggie Sottero), they will give you a price quote if you have the style number.  No return! Saving are about 30%, but it varies with the manufacturer. Net Bride and RK Bridal are other discount ordering services.  David's Bridal dresses can be ordered over their own website, and no where else!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I had my dress custom made with better material for half of the cost! I ordered the original dress and the cut did not work for my figure (I'm very busty, but have a very small waist). So, I would have had to order a dress many sizes larger to accommodate my bust and have major alterations done. So, I found someone who could make the dress and I chose the fabric. The quality of the fabric I chose was significantly better than the original dress. For some reason, I can't open the link you posted, but you may be able to get something very similar made for a lot less money.

• One of my best friends ordered a knockoff dress. When it got to her, she had to spend $700 to alter it to a point where it was useful. Her seamstress told her that it would've been less expensive to make it from scratch.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • edited February 2014

From China = knockoff.

One of the only legit sites I know of is yourdreamdress.com. 

• happymellowhappymellow member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    First of all, not to be obnoxious, but why is this on etiquette?  It should be on dress/attire.
    Second, as someone who actually ordered a knockoff dress, I feel like I should chime in.

I spent a long time agonizing over whether to do it.  I found a gorgeous dress I loved, but couldn't justify $1100 on a dress I'd wear one day.  I checked out posts and reviews, but never found someone who'd actually ordered there, just "heard" it was terrible.  Didn't know firsthand.  So...as someone who has been there, done that, this is my opinion:

1.  Choose your dress carefully.  The picture is the actual designer dress.  That is NOT what you will receive.  Don't pick one with a lot of detailing.  The material will be different and ruffles or too much detailing will, therefore, hang funny.

2.  I upgraded the beadwork.  Where I bought mine, I paid $25 more and got better beads.  Again, only wearing it one day, so as long as they don't look awful.

3.  I upgraded shipping.  I ordered in early October.  It was delivered two weeks before Christmas.
    I've heard the entire country of China pretty much shuts down for the month of February.  Order with plenty of time to receive it.

4.  Get professionally measured.  I stopped in to a local seamstress and they did this for free.
    My dress fits perfectly.  No alterations, but I do have to add a bustle.

5.  With the beading upgrade and upgraded shipping, I still paid less than $300 for mine.

I can't think of anything else right now.  Only you can decide what's right for you.  My dress is perfect and I love it, and I'm glad that I did it.  Does it look exactly like the original?  No.  But it's the same style.  The material is different, and they added piping to my dress (I love piping, so this is okay).  Just don't set unattainable standards.  It won't be perfect.  To be fair, I did like the original slightly more...just not $800 more.  Figure out what's right for you, and do your research.  I did not use the company you mention.  Good luck.

• The ways to get an actual Pnina Tornai at a discount:
    • Preowned (search Tradesy, OnceWed, PreownedWeddingDresses.com, etc.)
    • Sample sales
    • Maybe be friends with Pnina Tornai?
  • First of all, not to be obnoxious, but why is this on etiquette?  It should be on dress/attire.
    Second, as someone who actually ordered a knockoff dress, I feel like I should chime in.

I spent a long time agonizing over whether to do it.  I found a gorgeous dress I loved, but couldn't justify $1100 on a dress I'd wear one day.  I checked out posts and reviews, but never found someone who'd actually ordered there, just "heard" it was terrible.  Didn't know firsthand.  So...as someone who has been there, done that, this is my opinion:

1.  Choose your dress carefully.  The picture is the actual designer dress.  That is NOT what you will receive.  Don't pick one with a lot of detailing.  The material will be different and ruffles or too much detailing will, therefore, hang funny.

2.  I upgraded the beadwork.  Where I bought mine, I paid $25 more and got better beads.  Again, only wearing it one day, so as long as they don't look awful.

3.  I upgraded shipping.  I ordered in early October.  It was delivered two weeks before Christmas.
    I've heard the entire country of China pretty much shuts down for the month of February.  Order with plenty of time to receive it.

4.  Get professionally measured.  I stopped in to a local seamstress and they did this for free.

5.  With the beading upgrade and upgraded shipping, I still paid less than $300 for mine.

I can't think of anything else right now.  Only you can decide what's right for you.  My dress is perfect and I love it, and I'm glad that I did it.  Does it look exactly like the original?  No.  But it's the same style.  The material is different, and they added piping to my dress (I love piping, so this is okay).  Just don't set unattainable standards.  It won't be perfect.  To be fair, I did like the original slightly more...just not $800 more.  Figure out what's right for you, and do your research.  I did not use the company you mention.  Good luck.

Do you have a picture? I would love to see it.

• First of all, not to be obnoxious, but why is this on etiquette?  It should be on dress/attire.

Do you have a picture? I would love to see it.
    I'm a bit of a posting moron, but I'll see what I can do.  I have a pic available.  I just have to scratch out my face and figure out how to post it.  until now, all I've done is post words.  :)  It may take a little time.  I guess the tiny little "insert photo" icon may help, too.
  • Sorry for the crappy quality of photo...
  • I ordered my dress from simplybridal.com. They have inexpensive dresses and I really loved mine. I had some alterations but I was expecting that because I isn't get it ordered to my measurements, but instead, just ordered a size.

They do not sell designer dresses. Their dresses are there own designs.
  • Kattlekr said:
    That's what I figured, but it appears that the sellers have had legitimate transactions with many costumers and they get feedback (similar to ebay).  When I was searching through sellers, it seems like everything is real, but I'm still not sure.  
    Some brides do get lucky and their dresses aren't a huge pile of cheap fabric and bad stitching.  But, soooo many brides don't have that luck.  And a lot of the reviews on their sites are fake.

I'm impressed. That's lovely. I think occasionally, brides get something very similar to the original, but I think it's the exception, not the rule.

I'm impressed. That's lovely. I think occasionally, brides get something very similar to the original, but I think it's the exception, not the rule.
    Thank you.  And you're probably right.  I might've just gotten lucky.  I did want to post as a first person though since all you usually see are people who have just heard that it's a bad idea.  To be fair, they may be right, but there are some of us out there who've had luck.  I did read a review elsewhere and one girl was blasting the negative reviews saying hers was great and she didn't know why they insisted on throwing a fit in the reviews.  I clicked on her username.  She was based in China.  Needless to say, I didn't use that company.
  • Here is a link anyone that is considering ordering from DHGate should take a peek at.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/BridesBeware

Lol. I love seeing those pictures.

In a sad and horrible way, it's really hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards