Wedding Etiquette Forum

Reception and Transportation

Our ceremony/reception venue is under a 10 min drive from our downtown area, and I had hoped to find a hotel that would let us use their shuttle if we booked enough rooms. However, there's a big convection in town and the hotels that offer shuttles are booked.  About half of our guests are from out of town, some will drive in some will fly. I think most people might carpool from the hotel, but am I rude if I don't offer a shuttle? Have I met my requirements as a good host if I list taxi info on the wedding website and have list of taxis wedding? I want people to have a good time, and not have to worry too much about logistics. TIA 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception and Transportation

• You don't need to provide transportation for your guests. It's a nice gesture, but they're adults and they can figure out how to get themselves to your wedding. FWIW, we didn't have a shuttle and our guests still had a blast!
  • We're having a shuttle through first student--you might look into them, they're in several cities.
  • MrsAitch said:
    We're having a shuttle through first student--you might look into them, they're in several cities.
    I just googled them, are they a school bus service? 

The hotel I'm looking at blocking rooms at can help me find a shuttle company, if its not too pricey I might go that route, and FI and I will need a way back to the hotel as well. Maybe I can look into getting a limo bus for the whole day...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yep, you can charter school buses through them. It's nice that 40some adults can fit comfortably in one trip too.
  • MrsAitch said:
    We're having a shuttle through first student--you might look into them, they're in several cities.
    I just googled them, are they a school bus service? 

The hotel I'm looking at blocking rooms at can help me find a shuttle company, if its not too pricey I might go that route, and FI and I will need a way back to the hotel as well. Maybe I can look into getting a limo bus for the whole day...
    So have you or haven't you blocked off rooms? If you haven't and you say there is a huge convention in town the weekend of your wedding then suggest you block some rooms ASAP. You don't want to wait too long only to find out that hotels are all booked up. As for transportation, is there parking at your reception site? Or at least parking close by? Then I wouldn't worry too much about a shuttle but it also wouldn't be horrible if you did have one.  But I would provide taxi service information, even the hotel came help your guests with that because if your guests call down to the front desk they can usually get a taxi there quickly.

• @maggie0829 I just booked a block today, the venue has plenty of free parking and its only a 8 min drive- Phew! I called 7 hotels in the area and all were booked. I have the hotel info on our website, along with the contact info for 3 cab companies, and I also noted that for those not wanting to stay at that location, many of the other hotels are booking up fast. Thanks for the advice ladies!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't believe etiquette requires you to provide transportation. However, if you can afford it I think it's worth doing. For what it's worth, I've personally never attended an OOT or out of country wedding where transportation was not provided for us from hotel to ceremony to reception and back to hotel.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    emmyg65 said:
    You don't need to provide transportation for your guests. It's a nice gesture, but they're adults and they can figure out how to get themselves to your wedding. FWIW, we didn't have a shuttle and our guests still had a blast!
    Maybe it's not strictly necessary, but when I've been an out-of-town guest, I found the bolded attitude annoying to no end.  I have no idea what's available, what's listed on the Internet often turns out not to be true, and being left to fend for myself, especially if I can't get there until the last minute, makes me feel uncared about when I have to scramble at the last minute just to figure out how to get there.  I don't have a lot of money, so I don't appreciate having to spend through the nose because I have to find last-minute transportation that costs a ton when with a little information provided earlier, I could have figured out what options are available.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards