Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Address wording

I would like your opinions... what wording do you prefer when addressing invitations:

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Smith

or

Mr. Joe and Mrs. Jane Smith

or something else??

Also, when sending STD’s, did you include “and guest” if you are okay with them bringing a guest?  Or is that for invitation only?

Finally, I only know the first name of some significant others.  Is it okay to only put their first name, or should I switch it to “and guest”, or something else?

Thank you!

Re: Address wording

• Options

I would like your opinions... what wording do you prefer when addressing invitations:

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Smith    I believe that this is the proper way to address a couple.
    or

Mr. Joe and Mrs. Jane Smith

or something else??

Also, when sending STD’s, did you include “and guest” if you are okay with them bringing a guest?  Or is that for invitation only?  You do not need to include "and guest" or anything like that on the STD's.  You do not need to provide plus ones for your single guests, but it would be nice of you if you could afford it and wanted to.  For people that consider themselves to be in a relationship at the time that your invitations are going out, you should invite their significant others by name on the invitation envelopes.  

Finally, I only know the first name of some significant others.  Is it okay to only put their first name, or should I switch it to “and guest”, or something else?  You should find out their names (you could ask via e-mail or a phone call or find out from Facebook, etc.) and address them by name.

Thank you!

• Options
    Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Smith
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

Mr & Mrs. Joe Smith

On the STD I didn't put "and guest" the reason being is that none of the individuals we were inviting that weren't married, were in relationships at the time we sent out our STD. We hadn't finalized all of our details when the STD so we weren't sure if we would be able to extend +1 to all our single friends. When it came time to send out the invites, no one's dating status had changed (they were all still not dating anyone) and we reviewed the +1 portion of invites.

• Options
    Thanks.  We already budgeted for everyone to bring a guest, so capacity will not be an issue.  Given that we our venue (and budget) can hold enough people for everyone to bring a guest, should I put it?  The only reason I thought I might need to is because most of our guests live on east coast and our wedding is on the west coast, so they may need more time to plan
  • Options
    I did not put "and Guest" on the STD. It's not necessary, and it also gives you room if something happens and you don't have it in your budget to give single people +1s.

• Options
    So is the only reason people do not put "and guest" on a STD just in case their budget won't allow it later on?  We have the budget for everyone to bring a guest, because our venue charged a minimum and we can easily fit all of our guests plus one into our minimum. 
  • Options
    We're working on our STDs at the moment. My question, along those lines, is how do I deal with this one:

FI's friend is now living with his on/off girlfriend. He's constantly being kicked out of the house. Etiquette says that we send the the invitation to both parties in the couple. However, we never really know their status at any moment in time (seriously, they're that volatile) and we are really only extending the invitation to her as a courtesy to him (everyone gets a +1).

So, do we address the envelope to both? To just him? Or do we leave it blank and make FI hand it to him the next time they get together to avoid the entire issue?!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014

We're working on our STDs at the moment. My question, along those lines, is how do I deal with this one:

FI's friend is now living with his on/off girlfriend. He's constantly being kicked out of the house. Etiquette says that we send the the invitation to both parties in the couple. However, we never really know their status at any moment in time (seriously, they're that volatile) and we are really only extending the invitation to her as a courtesy to him (everyone gets a +1).

So, do we address the envelope to both? To just him? Or do we leave it blank and make FI hand it to him the next time they get together to avoid the entire issue?!
    Send the STD just to him.  If he's back in a relationship with her when it comes time to send the invitations, then include her on the invitation to him.  If not, then send the invitation to him with a +1 but be prepared for it to be her if he's not in a relationship with anyone else and you don't specify who his +1 is meant to be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards