Wedding Reception Forum

Food help

2»

Re: Food help

• I think the suggestions given were great and I'd be more than happy eating cheese & crackers, soup, grilled cheese, and pie. So I'm not trying to be a debbie downer at all but I really don't see how you're going to afford all that. $1,000 divided by 125 people is only $8 per person. I realize you live in a cheap area and you only have to pay for ingredients for ice cream and pie but say that costs you $2 per person to buy all those ingredients. You then have to pay a caterer for cheese, crackers, veggies, dip, potato soup, chili, rice, bread, cheese, butter, ham and their time to cook and man it all for only $6 per person doesn't seem very do-able. Maybe those really are the prices down there, I don't know, seems like a stretch.

What I do think is do-able is scrapping the caterer and hot food. Buy trays of premade sandwiches along with premade potato/ macaroni salad and individual size bags of chips. There is a local deli where I live (in expensive Massachusetts) that charged me $12 for a dozen finger sandwiches on a platter for a friend's bridal shower. If I were you and I bought 3 sandwiches per person that's only $375 plus chips and drinks- don't forget about drinks in your budget.

• @Maggie0829 we are discussing options with our caterer. She suggested her chicken and rice soup because it always goes over well.

I also like the idea of gourmet grilled cheese if we do them.
  • My issue is more about variety and getting more bang for your buck.   Fact is the more people you have the more variety you need.  

Lactose intolerant?   Grilled cheese isn't going to work for you.  I'm not sure the type of chili you are serving, but depending on what type it effect people in not very good ways.

I like the soup and sandwich idea, I just think there are ways to have more variety on your budget.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    A. As I said before, the time is non negotiable. Period. It has to do with building access times and vendor availability. B. Who ever said I have to have (what others deem as) "normal" wedding food? What ever happened to being different? C. This is going to be a SIMPLE, INFORMAL, LAID BACK, southern wedding. We aren't doing anything fancy at all. D. IF we go with the grilled cheese, it will be a manned station, where they are made as needed so they are fresh. I believe I mentioned this already. E. $1000 food budget for 125-150 people is not unreasonable. We don't live in a large city so prices aren't crazy high. Also, we will only have to pay for ingredients for the pie and ice cream because they are being made by a family friend (voluntarily). F. I would like to say thank you to those of you who support the idea and make helpful suggestions.
    That comes to spending about 6.66 per person for your entire wedding to feed them at a meal time... 

Even if you do go with your current food options, that seems very unlikely that you can do that on that type of budget.
    One of two things are likely to happen, a) you will go overbudget if you truly have enough options to sufficiently feed everyone properly or b) your will keep to budget and have to skimp on the food

Even Mcdonald's meals tend to cost more.

p.s. who will "man" the grilled cheese station? Unless you are "hiring" someone to do that, it is probably bad etiquetter to ask any friend/family member to spend the entire night making grilled cheese for people.

• indianaalumindianaalum member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    AddieL73 said:
    Yeah, it's not like she is just having bowl of broth and a skimpy sandwich. There is plenty of food.
    My point is that her budget to feed 150 people at a major meal time is 1000.00 including beverages and dessert. That comes to spending 6.66 to feed them all.

Do we really think that is possible to do without majorly skimping on the portions and food?

I think usually our advice is that if you have a smaller budget, keep the guest list at a reasonable level to be able to host them sufficiently. 

I truly just believe this bride is going to end up like one of those 4 wedding brides where everyone complains they went home hungry because the food ran out

It is likely that with that type of budget and that large of a guest list, that she will not TRULY have enough food and options to feed them all
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2014
    Oh what if you added a baked potato bar? You could use the shredded cheese, green onion, and sour cream from the chili bar. And russet potatoes are pretty inexpensive! Plus chili on potatoes = yum!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards