Attire & Accessories Forum

Is my dress appropriate for a beach elopement?

ashleyxo3ashleyxo3 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited February 2014 in Attire & Accessories Forum
My fiancé and I had already planned a wedding and reception, my dress was purchased, everything was set but then my dad passed away very close to the wedding date so I called it off and haven't been able to think about walking down the aisle or doing all of the traditional wedding things without my dad there. 

SOO...we've decided to elope this year on our 7 year anniversary in November. It will definitely be a beach wedding, not 100% set on a location yet (Myrtle Beach or Laguna Beach, depending on how much time he can get off of work)

Like I said above, I already have my dress purchased. It's a pretty traditional a-line style with exposed tulle on the side. Is that appropriate being so formal? Or should I consider getting a new one that is more flowy and beach appropriate?

Re: Is my dress appropriate for a beach elopement?

• I would need to actually see it to decide.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • So sorry to hear about your dad.

Do you have a link? Photos?
  • I am very sorry to hear about your Dad.

Do you love the dress you have?  If so, I would wear it regardless of your location.  And for what its worth I think the dress you posted (even though it isn't your exact one) is perfectly fine for a beach wedding.  It isn't too over the top and it is very airy which is exactly what you want for a beach wedding.

• Sorry for your loss. 

Just a practical question - would you be comfortable wearing it on a beach?  My dress has a similar shape and it surprisingly heavy and hot to wear.

• My parents got married at the Gazebo at Laguna Beach 32 years ago in October!  So it gets my vote! As for the dress, if you love it then it is fine. It's going to be cool in November (at least in CA) so I don't think you need a light and airy dress. I would even argue that because it is cooler in November that an A-line is more fitting for the beach.
  • I was considering that but with it being November, I'm thinking the heaviness of the dress will offset the possibly chilly temperatures. I'm not sure how sand + a heavy dress will work though lol. 

I've browsed other dresses and there's a few lighter options that I like but I can't seem to wrap my head around buying and shopping for another dress lol
  • edited February 2014
    I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. 

The dress is beautiful! I think you should go with whatever you want. If it were me, I would probably prefer a lighter dress for a beach wedding but it's so personal. 

Edited: link didn't work

• You can wear whatever you want, but I had a dress with lots of satin and tulle for a November wedding when it was 40 degrees and was still warm in the dress. So getting overheated in it would be my #1 concern. My #2 concern is this....what will your emotions be when you put on the dress that you were going to be wearing as your father walked you down the isle to get married? Of course you are going to miss him when you elope, how can you not, but will wearing this dress make it even more emotional and difficult for you? Only you can answer that
  • I wouldn't worry about it being too formal or not.  If it makes you happy, wear it.  My dress is probably too formal for my daytime cruise ship wedding, but I honestly don't care. I love the dress, so I'm going to wear it.  What I wear doesn't hurt or affect anyone else, so it is solely up to me.  I did take weather into consideration though when shopping (late June in New Orleans = hot & humid), and bought one that was lighter & cooler material (organza with fewer layers).  So, I would consider comfort issue over the formality of it, which it sounds like you already have thought about.  If you think it will be comfortable for you, then wear it.  If doing a beach wedding, it will probably get dirty and sandy, since it is long and I would imaging that tulle would pick up a lot of sand, but you will only wear it once anyway, so who cares?  And it can be cleaned afterward.

• When it comes to the wedding dress as long as you love it I don't think there is anything wrong with wearing it.  My dress is a bit more formal than our casual wedding but I loved it!!! There is no way in hell I was sacraficing my pretty dress on the one time I will get married.  As long as you like it and are comfortable on the beach in it then go for it!!!
  • I would be slightly concerned with the sand catching in the tulle or your train. I can't imagine that sand and delicate fabric mix well together. That being said, your dress is absolutely beautiful and you should wear it if you love it. 
    If worried about sand in the train, you could just have it bustled for the wedding (they can do a permanent bustle if you'd like)

Anniversary
  • I would definitely wear that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • My condolences about your father. <3

I would absolutely wear your dress though! It's gorgeous, and if it's what you want, who's to tell you it's inappropriate? :)
  • sorry to hear about your dad :(  I think the dress could work for a beach wedding. While it does not scream "beach" It would still work and if you love it then that is the dress you should wear.

Anniversary
  • Meggos1988Meggos1988 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2014
    I have a train on my dress and I am getting married on the beach in jamaica. Just an idea would be to have it bustled for your ceremony and if you choose to do pictures you can always have it down for them. I am pretty sure that is what I am going to do. Edited for spelling
  • LwaryjasLwaryjas member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited March 2014
    Sorry to hear about your father, hope you are doing okay. If the dress you bought is what you love you should wear it. When I was looking for my dress everyone was telling me to do a light material but everything I saw wasn't for me. The dress I ended up purchasing was satin and has a beautiful train. From everyone I have talked to there really aren't norms anymore you can do what you want. Hope that helps and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards