New Jersey

Seeking Palace at Somerset and/or Highlawn Pavillion info (price, negotiations, food, reviews, etc.)

Hello fellow knotties! I am interested in the venues: the Palace at Somerset & the Highlawn Pavillion. I'm looking for any information on the 2. I had a short meeting with both and intend to follow up this week. Does anyone have any information. Reviews? Prices? Are they negotiable? It's probably going to be a Fall wedding (Ideally a Saturday night in October), approximately 130 guests. I know the Palace has a 140 minimum. Is anything negotiable? I've received the price from both but I was just wondering if these 2 are negotiable and/or worth it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Seeking Palace at Somerset and/or Highlawn Pavillion info (price, negotiations, food, reviews, etc.)

• Use the search feature-- I have seen lots of threads about these two venues.  A few brides have posted info recently.

We are getting married at Highlawn on 5/30/15.  They were negotiable about adding upgrades but not about the final pp price.  This was a Saturday night in prime wedding season booked well in advance though, so if you're booking closer to the actual date they might negotiate more.  Christopher has been great to work with so far.  The only downside is the T-shaped ballroom, but I think it will be fine.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Palace.  I grew up right down the street and the Palace just seems really OTT and contrived to me.  It's a pretty venue and the service is wonderful (went to a huge wedding there last year), but everything about it just seems really fake.  Also their valet parking was terribly managed and we had to wait in the cold for like 20 minutes to get our car after the wedding, not fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Use the search feature-- I have seen lots of threads about these two venues.  A few brides have posted info recently.

We are getting married at Highlawn on 5/30/15.  They were negotiable about adding upgrades but not about the final pp price.  This was a Saturday night in prime wedding season booked well in advance though, so if you're booking closer to the actual date they might negotiate more.  Christopher has been great to work with so far.  The only downside is the T-shaped ballroom, but I think it will be fine.

Personally I'm not a fan of the Palace.  I grew up right down the street and the Palace just seems really OTT and contrived to me.  It's a pretty venue and the service is wonderful (went to a huge wedding there last year), but everything about it just seems really fake.  Also their valet parking was terribly managed and we had to wait in the cold for like 20 minutes to get our car after the wedding, not fun.
    It's funny that you say that......I drove past it one day for the first time and that's kinda what I thought.   THAT'S The Palace?  Yeah, there was something about it.  I will admit, however, that I've never attended an event there.  It was just first impression driving by.

OP - If you call and ask, most venues will give you minimums and prices over the phone.  Just like you, they don't want to waste their time with an in person meeting if you can't afford them.
  • Hey there! Congrats on finding two venues you like!

I can't comment because I've not been to the Highlawn but I'm due to be a Palace bride in July...and can tell you that they have been incredible to work with.  We will be in the West Ballroom on a Friday night with a minimum of 125...While we were not able to negotiate price we were able to negotiate other extras...we asked them to include the uplighting package, allow our parents to join us at the tasting free of charge, and upgrade some elements of dessert.  They agreed to all of this and have been incredibly responsive throughout the entire process.  I also loved the hotels being so close and the clean white lines of the building. 

Good luck with everything!

• Thank you all so much, this is great information!
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2014
    I was married at the Palace and can't say enough about the food and service. It's funny when I read the other posts because we also visited the Highlawn and it just wasn't for us. The two are very different in look and feel.  I couldn't get over the T shaped ballroom and the decor wasn't our style. Plus, we wanted to get married outside at the venue and the Highlawn didn't really have a bridal suite or a nice ceremony space. They do have a gorgeous view, and the price was unbeatable ($89pp for a Saturday night).  I hear the food is great too and the staff is super nice. I've only heard really good things from friends who have attended events there.   

At the Palace, we were not able to negotiate too much on the price per head, but we were able to negotiate other extras as well as "switch out" cocktail hour stations for upgrades.  I'll PM you some additional info too.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either venue; it's more about what's right for you.  Good luck!!

• I'm getting married at Highlawn in October, and my cousin actually also got married there. So far, they've been great to work with. I'm doing a Sunday wedding so the cost was lower than a Saturday night. They didn't negotiate the pp price but they did throw in upgrades. I think that we got a really good deal for what we're getting. The food there is amazing, and everyone is incredibly professional. The views from the room are stunning, too.
  • Giaspo said:
    I was married at the Palace and can't say enough about the food and service. It's funny when I read the other posts because we also visited the Highlawn and it just wasn't for us. The two are very different in look and feel.  I couldn't get over the T shaped ballroom and the decor wasn't our style. Plus, we wanted to get married outside at the venue and the Highlawn didn't really have a bridal suite or a nice ceremony space. They do have a gorgeous view as long as it isn't cloudy, and the price was unbeatable ($89pp for a Saturday night).  I hear the food is great too and the staff is super nice.  

At the Palace, we were not able to negotiate too much on the price per head, but we were able to negotiate other extras as well as "switch out" cocktail hour stations for upgrades.  I'll PM you some additional info too.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either venue; it's more about what's right for you.  Good luck!!

This is a really good point-- Palace and Highlawn are so different!  I can't imagine somebody really being torn between the two of them.  Palace is OTT and brand spanking new.  Highlawn is historical and mediterranean.  OP, do you get a certain "feeling" from one venue or the other?  It seems that of the two, one of them would call to you and the other would be not your style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Thank you again! You know what it was I loved that Highlawn was 1 wedding and the manager- he was wonderful! His personality and kindness was selling me. The Palace's look grabbed me. So many nice venues (and not so nice) - I feel like I've seen them all lol. Definitely stressful.
  • I am getting married Sunday May 24 2015 which is Memorial Day weekend. They gave me 99pp and he threw so many things in. I love the view and that it is in a naturaly beautiful setting. It doesn't feel like a place that was made to look pretty in a fake way it just is naturaly breath taking. It is very romantic and up scale! The T shaped room does not bother me because people can look out the window and enjoy a beautiful view. The food Is very fresh from their own farm. They have their own pastry chef that can custom design your cake which is included. Chris is so nice and is really excited about every wedding he is involved in. He makes me so comfortable and relaxed about everything. I got to see them set up for a wedding, and it has such a rich feeling with the elegant up lighting and even though it was cloudy it still was a great view. He had the alternative indoor space set up for the ceremony and it looked beautiful. I am so excited to get married there!
  • I had my reception at he palace in November and cannot me more pleased. They were very accommodating and easy to always get in contact with and work with. The night ran smoothly. The night before we added a popcorn station and even in short notice they made it happen. I attached a picture our photographer took outside the palace with us.
  • palace brides.....where did you take pictures?? im concerned as I have a big bridal party. where is this "on the hill" i keep hearing about?
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited February 2014
    tmvg8 said:
    palace brides.....where did you take pictures?? im concerned as I have a big bridal party. where is this "on the hill" i keep hearing about?
    I'm sorry I never replied to your PM (just saw it now). It's behind the venue...you walk through the gardens and there is a clearing that goes up. Lots of trees and green. Some people head over to Colonial Park too but we didn't have time for that. 
  • How much are you paying pp at The Palace? I have an appointment with them on Friday!
  • Good thing to know about the pictures! We haven't discussed pricing yet, we are still narrowing down our decisions. Good luck on Friday!
  • tmvg8tmvg8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    ahhh thank you so much! I feel so much better now!!!
  • tmvg8tmvg8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm paying 135++ for a friday in april
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards