Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Thinking about Hawaii-off the beaten path

for our honeymoon next year.  Ideas we have are renting a motorbike, and camping.  Posters who have been to Hawaii, any suggestions on what to do and where to go would be fantastic.  To give an idea, we both are outdoorsy people,and both avid wildlife photographers. We would probably stick to one island, so suggestions on which islands are the best would be great as well.  Thanks, ladies!

Re: Thinking about Hawaii-off the beaten path

• Options
    If you want something really off the beatn path, check out Molokai. It won't be the really the lush green tropical island you may be looking for, though. Also check out gohawaii.com, which is the Hawaii Tourist board's site. They may have some ideas for you based on your interests!

• Options
    thanks, @Jells2dot0, we'll check that out!
  • Options
    Molokai, Lanai, and Kauai are probably the islands you'll want to explore. The Road to Hana in Maui is also really beautiful (a self-guided drive to a small town). You may want to avoid Waikiki, Oahu. :P
  • Options
    One of the tour books we had for Hawaii mentioned that in most state parks you can camp.  But there are limited camping spots and book up quick.  I would go with Jells suggestion of going on Hawaii's website and check out all camping spots.
  • Options
    The road to Hana in Maui was awesome. A lot of travel sites suggest staying a night in Hana, which I would suggest as well. We loved Maui and were able to find a bunch of places where there weren't so many tourists, but if you're looking for something really off the beaten path, I second @16maybeless's island suggestions.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Kauai is definitely a very laid back, adventurous island. What time of year is your honeymoon? If you're going in the summer, I'd suggest a combo Na Pali coast kayak and hiking the Kalalau Trail: apply for permits in advance and you can camp on the beaches along the coast. Quiet, scenic, adventurous and romantic. And if you want some relaxation or to go on the beaten path, Hanalei is a great town in summer. I'd also say you can get off the beaten path on the Big Island: avoid the Kohala Coast (lovely, but resort oriented) and head north: Hawi, Waimea, the Hamakua Coast. Because the BI is so big, outside of the major resort areas and the volcano, it really does feel off the beaten path.
  • Options
    I went to Oahu and did the Waikiki thing, you probably want to avoid that. Big Island looks like it would be what you are looking for. Kona beach resort has cheap rooms if you are looking for somewhere to stay, and getting a car/jeep will make it easy to drive everywhere. I keep reading about all the beaches you have to hike to. So I know a lot of people won't put that kind of effort to get to those beaches.
  • Options
    that's definitely more the kind of thing FI and I love to do!  We're planning on renting a motorbike, wherever we end up going, we always prefer "the road less traveled" ;)
  • Options
    If your really into a adventurous hike and camp the Napali Coast on Kauai is great.   Backpack, camping, and pretty difficult hike over a few days.
  • Options
    cool, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards