Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Alternatives to cake and cupcakes?

Hi ladies! I'm looking for some input. What are some ideas for dessert other than cake or cupcakes? My fiance and I are not really cake people. We were thinking of hiring an ice cream truck to come to the reception (we are getting married at an antique carousel, so the idea fits) but I'm open to considering other ideas. Thanks!

Re: Alternatives to cake and cupcakes?

• You can serve anything for dessert.  I think an ice cream truck sounds like fun.
  • Ice cream would be great!  I would just think about how many guests you have and how quickly everyone could be served.  Other ideas - pie, an assortment of cookies, donuts.  If you have a favorite non-cake dessert, there's probably a way to make that work.
    Anniversary

• I went to a wedding with a pie buffet. The ice cream idea is nice too!
  • I love the ice cream truck idea. 

In lieu of cake, we are serving plated dessert trios. Cheesecake, chocolate truffles, and fresh fruit, all of our favorite things! 
  • Ice cream sounds lovely, although I'm not sure about serving it from a truck.

You can certainly serve alternate desserts to cake.  Ice cream, pie, cheesecake, tarts, fruit, and finger pastries (my own personal favorite) are all wonderful possibilities!
  • I went to a wedding that had vanilla cheesecake with lots of DIY toppings as one of the stations and then instead of cake they had cherries jubilee with a flambé presentation done with music and sparklers.
  • Mmmm all of that sounds like heaven. Lots of options. I think maybe a smaller dessert buffet with many different options? If it is in the budget, I would say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I went to a wedding with cheesecake!!! YummmmY! We aren't really cake people either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a desert bar rather than a cake, lots of options to suit different tastes. Went to a wedding last summer with an ice cream bar, while the idea was great they didn't account for the weather and most people ended up with sticky hands.
  • We are doing an ice cream sundae bar with DIY toppings. Instead of cutting and feeding each other cake, we will scoop ice cream and feed that to each other (we aren't cake people either, but we do eat ice cream before bed together almost every night) We will also have cupcakes set up for those who would want cupcakes.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ice cream Sunday bar, pie, candy bar, canollis might taste good.
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2014
    they have what are called cheesecake cakes its a tiered to look like a cake but they are tiers of cheesecake.

sunday bar sounds fun maybe you could do a sweets table with all kinds of sweets

or a candy buffet i do candy buffets and its a great i did this rainbow one for a birthday party they wanted it simple but with all kinds of rainbow candy's and candy bars.

or a martini ice cream bar but logsticaly you have to figure out how long it will take to scoop and serve ice cream and how long your guest will be waiting
  • skyhigh27 said:
    We are doing a desert bar rather than a cake, lots of options to suit different tastes. Went to a wedding last summer with an ice cream bar, while the idea was great they didn't account for the weather and most people ended up with sticky hands.
    This is what I like.  Lots of options, smaller bite-sized portions.  I'll take that over cake any day.
  • My fiance and I are also doing an ice cream cart! Neither of us like cake and I could care less about a cake cutting photo. The only thing to consider is if you have guests who are lactose intolerant. I have three (although one of them would eat the ice cream happily and just live through the pain), so we are getting a dozen cupcakes as well.
  • I like the ice cream truck idea, especially since it goes with your venue. When we were going to get married in OR we really wanted to do Voodoo Donuts (they make the famous bacon maple bar, and they always have a 1+hour line any time of night because they're that good) but now we've moved the wedding to MN and aren't sure what to do. 
  • We're doing a small dessert table with a cutting cake, macaron, mini glitter doughnuts, and a croquembouche as the centerpiece of it all.

• Jen - what kind of finger pastries?
  • Same here!  My fiance and I are getting married in August and decided that we will make our own mason jar brownies.  Then at the wedding we will have a bar set up to serve ice cream and toppings so people can make their own brownie sundaes.
  • We're having an ice cream sundae bar from Coldstone since we aren't really cake people and we're both gluten free.  We are also having a "late night snack" of popcorn in 3 different flavors since we are both popcorn junkies!  Make it personal to you though, if you aren't cake people, what is your favorite dessert?
  • My fiance and I are also not cake people and the cupcakes have been overdone... we found a designer and are doing speciality cookies and arranging them on a tiered cake platter to "look like" a cake. My fiance went by cookie monster as a kid and he is beyond excited for my flexibility on this tradition!!
  • We're not doing cake either. We're having baklava made by my aunt (my family is Greek) and an Indonesian sweet pancake (his family is Indonesian) and then brownies for anyone who wants chocolate. 
    Love the idea of doing ice cream at an old carousel. 
  • Also not a fan of wedding cake! Euw... We are doing a variety of donuts and stacking them on pole to put on each table :) I am going with a great local MN bakery. 

Good luck!
  • We're doing whoopie pies - we're having an autumn wedding, so we're going to have platters of whoopie pies in seasonal flavors (like pumpkin and carrot cake) in addition to traditional chocolate.  
  • Couldn't figure out why all of a sudden I was getting responses again on a discussion I started on here over a month ago. i just now checked my email and saw that my post was included in this weeks newsletter!!!!!! Thanks for chiming in ladies- i'm loving all the input!
  • bridixon said:
    Jen - what kind of finger pastries?
    Just about any kind you like: brownies, lemon or lime squares, mini-cheesecakes, petit fours, rainbow cakes, mini-pies, or whatever you like.
  • My fiancee and I are doing several different flavors of pie.  The best part, 10-12 pies at $10-$12 a piece!  We're not fond of cake either, but even if we were, the "wedding cake" cost is out right ridiculous!  I love the idea of an ice cream truck, too.  Now I'm thinking we might have to do a pie & ice cream table.
  • My fiancee and I also aren't cake people. So we are doing pies and cookies, with maybe some ice cream to go with. They will all be home made by family members. And we will have some cupcakes for those who are cake lovers.
  • We're not cake people, either.  There's this AMAZING donut shop in Anna Maria Island that makes delicious cake donuts with all types of toppings - key lime drizzle, maple & bacon, etc.  Would love to have them, but they're just better fresh.  We love pie & cheesecake as well, so we'll probably go that route.

If you don't want ice cream that melts, Dippin' Dots could be fun. :D 
  • We are having a local creamery make mini ice cream cones and mini ice cream sandwiches. We do have a few guests who are lactose or can't have gluten, so we are having gluten-free mini cupcakes as well. 
  • I'm not super into cake, but at a bridal show one of the vendors was promoting their cake balls. It's cake and frosting mixed together into a ball, dipped in chocolate, and topped with colored icing or sprinkles or chocolate chips. They have all sorts of flavors and I think we're going to look into getting a bunch of cake balls! My favorites were the German Chocolate Cake, Italian Cream, Pink Champagne, and their Cheesecake cake balls!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards