Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Booking airline tickets for honeymoon

I've booked our honeymoon for August (we're going to Cozumel). Now, I just need to find plane tickets.

I don't want to wait too long, because I'm worried about missing out entirely, but I don't want to pay more than necessary either. I've booked flights before, but this is giving me more stress than usual....and definitely more than it should. Does anybody have any suggestions about how to get the best deal on tickets? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Booking airline tickets for honeymoon

• Options
    Some people say best prices are 3-4 months out... we will be leaving for our honeymoon 3/29/2015 and we will probably buy airfare as soon as it's released, as long as it is within our budget. We don't want to wait too long and have our ideal flights sold out, prices go up, etc... for us it just isn't worth the risk to wait. Really a personal choice! I would love to hear what others have to say about this, though...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would look into airfare as soon as flights are posted.  If the price fits into your budget then I would just book the flights.  I am not one to sit around and hope for a better deal because that better deal may never come and then I will most likely end up paying more because I waited until the last minute.

• Options
    I always buy ASAP, and use Kayak to find the best rates. We also usually fly on off-days like Tuesday or Wednesday because that can save hundreds of dollars.
  • Options
    dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited February 2014
    As a travel agent, I always book about 2 months out for domestic and 3-4 for international. Booking 6 months out for a domestic will cost you as much as $200 round trip a person. The only exception to this are during special events and holidays. Book on a Wednesday before 5am for all flights. A lot of people have claimed that trick doesn't necessarily work, but its worked a few times, and that's enough for me (and it's never been more, so if there's a chance you can save, you might as well try!) And ditto on emmyg65. Kayak has the 3 day +/- tool which can help you see the best rates. Make sure to check the smaller airlines individually that don't work with Kayak though

imageimage

• Options
    Don't forget to buy trip insurance!  We use Travelguard.com.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm with Maggie0829. If the flight price is good now, and you're comfortable paying it, just lock it in. The only reason I'd wait is that I couldn't stomach paying so much.

Expedia has a best price guarantee (and I think others do too), so possibly if the price dips you can recoup some cost.  

ALSO.... If you have the option to pay (just throwing numbers out here) $400 for a direct flight or $350 for a flight with connections/layovers, pay the extra $50 and get the direct flight. It is NOT worth the stress of a small flight delay making you miss the one and only flight in a day to a location.  
    There are locations where a direct flight just isn't possible, of course, but in that case, pick the connections at the "hub" airports for the particular airline.  For example, American Airlines has hubs in both Chicago and Miami, and Miami has the connections to the Caribbean.  United has hubs in Chicago and Houston, and Houston would connect to the Caribbean. Therefore, for me to get from Chi to an island, I would not take United to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami since those aren't United's hubs. That's much riskier than "hub to hub".  I hope this makes sense. My fiance is in the airline biz so I know too much about operations. One more tidbit-- get the most freakishly early flight you can manage as those are most likely to depart on time and not get delayed by a domino effect from bad weather, etc. 

• Options
    There's no magic rule. Book when you feel the price is good based on other airlines/comps during that time. I go to Mexico every December from JFK. I book as early as possible as I know which flights etc..,I want. I watch the fares. If it goes down I call for a credit. The fares are up pretty steeply the past 2years or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards