Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

My skin is terrible, what do I do?

My wedding is December 27, 2014 and I'm already worried that my skin is going to be awful on that day.

Let me start by saying that I have had acne since I was 13 (now 23) and I honestly feel like it has gotten worse since high school. My skin is oily/combination (it dries out around my mouth and chin). I have literally tried everything. I have done every drug store cleanser and lotion, department store products, and special order products. I also went to the dermatologist a few times. It seems to me like everything I use will work for a month or so and then my skin gets immune to it and starts to act up again.

In the past few months, it hasn't been quite so bad but is now starting to seem like it is going to break out. I am currently using Neutrogena Cleansing Gel (you know the orange liquid stuff) and the Clinque Dramatically Different Gel morning and night. I also exfoliate a couple of times a week with St. Ives Blemish Control (I know you should only do it once a week but I would do it every day if it didn't cause my skin to produce too much oil). The foundation I have been using is Arbonne Perfecting Liquid Foundation, which I do like because I can use it in Winter and Summer without it being too oily.

Any suggestions would be useful. I'm trying to get a jumpstart on this now so that by my wedding I may have a successful skin care regimen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Re: My skin is terrible, what do I do?

• I generally am not a huge fan of homeopathic medicine but I do recommend a consultation with a nutritionist.
  • @shrekspeare I don't have a Clarisonic. However, after reading these blogs I feel like I will be investing in one soon!

The thing that I worry about with Philosophy is that it isn't geared toward acne-prone skin. Will it still help with breakouts? And I did use Proativ, really screwed up my skin.

I have been doing the whole water thing and I have noticed that it does help!

I stick with something and as soon as it starts working, like 2 weeks later is when it stops working.

• It stops working after a couple months generally. Like at first when I'm trying a new product, my skin really freaks out and gets bad, but I still stick with it for at least 2 months and during that time it gets better. It will seem like the new products are working great, and then all of the sudden my skin gets worse again. I try to keep using it just to see if it gets better and it doesn't. I have had success with products not made for acne prone skin, so it is worth a shot. Anything at this point is worth trying!

I haven't tried the Biotin. I thought about trying it also for my nails and hair. I hadn't heard of anyone's getting worse from it, so now knowing my luck that will happen to me! Haha.

• @prettybirdy27 I LOVEEE facials. Since I don't do them regularly, my skin gets irritated from them for he first couple of days and then calms down. I was thinking abou t trying to do that monthly starting this summer.

• Get a clarisonic!  I have super dry skin and I break out really easily, my Clarisonic makes a HUGE difference.

Also, be careful using the St. Ives exfoliant on your face.. it's really harsh and could lead to more skin irritation.  If you are currently broken out, it's better to use an enzyme or acid based exfoliant, that way it won't open stuff up and spread the bacteria; or just use baking powder.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Xiolaaloix Vendors are not allowed on these boards, it is against TOS.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Baking soda, honey, cinnamon.  Equal parts cinnamon and baking soda, just enough honey to make a paste.  I don't usually break out, but when I do, this stuff clears me right up.  My mother uses it too and is just as happy with the results- Using this scrub got rid of her acne, which she now swears was being caused by the cleansers she used before. (But test a patch of skin before applying it to your face- Out of all the people I've given this stuff to only one had a reaction- the cinnamon made her get red and a little puffy, but her skin calmed down after a few minutes-  I think she's sensitive to cinnamon.  I make the scrub for her with sugar instead and she likes it) 

Baking soda is great for exfoliating, and leaves you very clean WITHOUT drying your skin out- I think this is why you're having so many problems with your acne products, they tend to dry out your skin, which makes you over-compensate by producing excess oil, which leads to clogged pores and more zits!  
    Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory.  Honey is antibacterial, antifungal, and a wonderful moisturizer.  This scrub can be used as often as you want, and does a marvelous job of getting your skin feeling great without drying you out!  

Also, I know this seems odd, but coconut oil is AMAZING.  It does NOT clog your pores, you apply it and after a few minutes your skin has completely absorbed it and just feels wonderful.   I think it's a nice, light moisturizer that won't leave any buildup on your face.  I think you're putting your skin through a lot, and substituting the harsh acne products for products that are more gentle will help you a lot.  Also it's so much cheaper- I've tried tons and tons of scrubs and moisturizers etc. from tons of stores, and my favorite is still the cheap, generic brand baking soda and jar of coconut oil I have in my bathroom.  
  • I agree with consulting with a nutrionist, it maybe a reaction to something. On that note, maybe try a more natural soap option, I'm wondering if you are having a reaction to some of the chemicals in regular soaps & lotions.

• I can't speak to the products listed as I have different skin issues, but drink water. Lots of it.

I'm like @Shrekespeare- I'm not a fan. Add lemon or sliced strawberries or whatever. Even those little squirt bottles or powders of flavoring are ok if you need them. But water is huge for your skin.

I got better about water doing Weight Watchers- it was a huge help for weight loss. I noticed that my skin got so much clearer and healthier at the same time. These days, I'm not always as good as I should be about water consumption but when my skin starts to go crazy, I stop drinking anything but water and it help a lot.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Drink loads of water and eat plenty of fruit and veggies!

I have a similar routine. My skin is about 99% clear. This is mine.

Neutrogena grapefruit gel pm (cleanse 2X when makeup on, scrub every am (more than suggested but it works for my skin since I am oily)
    Clinique dramatically different gel am
    Peter Roth moisturizing glycolic serum pm
    Cliniqe clarifying lotion #4 am and pm
    everyday minerals powder
    queen anne mint mask 2-3X a week

Change your pillow case every 3-5 days. Remember that it takes about a month to see results and do not change you skin routine often.

• Baking soda, honey, cinnamon.  Equal parts cinnamon and baking soda, just enough honey to make a paste.  I don't usually break out, but when I do, this stuff clears me right up.  My mother uses it too and is just as happy with the results- Using this scrub got rid of her acne, which she now swears was being caused by the cleansers she used before. (But test a patch of skin before applying it to your face- Out of all the people I've given this stuff to only one had a reaction- the cinnamon made her get red and a little puffy, but her skin calmed down after a few minutes-  I think she's sensitive to cinnamon.  I make the scrub for her with sugar instead and she likes it) 

Baking soda is great for exfoliating, and leaves you very clean WITHOUT drying your skin out- I think this is why you're having so many problems with your acne products, they tend to dry out your skin, which makes you over-compensate by producing excess oil, which leads to clogged pores and more zits!  
    Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory.  Honey is antibacterial, antifungal, and a wonderful moisturizer.  This scrub can be used as often as you want, and does a marvelous job of getting your skin feeling great without drying you out!  

Also, I know this seems odd, but coconut oil is AMAZING.  It does NOT clog your pores, you apply it and after a few minutes your skin has completely absorbed it and just feels wonderful.   I think it's a nice, light moisturizer that won't leave any buildup on your face.  I think you're putting your skin through a lot, and substituting the harsh acne products for products that are more gentle will help you a lot.  Also it's so much cheaper- I've tried tons and tons of scrubs and moisturizers etc. from tons of stores, and my favorite is still the cheap, generic brand baking soda and jar of coconut oil I have in my bathroom.  
    I have coconut oil sugar scrub that has been a huge help with dry itchy winter skin.  I've heard about coconut oil helping with acne but I'm a little hesitant to try it.  I figure it can't hurt...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • La Roche-Posay products have worked wonders for me! (Walgreens sells it) I use Neutrogena Pore Refining wash twice a daily. I finally stopped using the St Ives scrub a year ago and that also helped my skin. While those scrubs make your skin feel nice, they are actually tearing the skin and making it harder for the blemishes to heal. Beyond that, I say check out DiamondsAndHeels14 on youtube. She is so helpful when trying to figure out what is causing your breakouts and how to treat them. Good luck!
  • The only product I have ever used that has always worked for me (I have combination skin, too) is the Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar.

It looks like an orange bar of soap and I keep it in the shower. Every time I shower, I use it on my face, neck and shoulders, and it seems to work at keeping the majority of my breakouts at a minimum, and then I use spot-treatment on what's left over.
    Anniversary
  • I appreciate everyone's responses! Of course, my skin has gotten better now (still using the same products) but I have been consulting with my dermatologist to see what we can do to make it more long term. And after reading around on every board on TK, I need to buy a Clarisonic.

• I love the murad ance line. I think it's amazing. If you are having that much trouble, perhaps speaking with a dermatologist about accutane could help. its not without its risks but it can totally change your skin if you are really looking for a change.
  • don't use the clarisonic too often and make sure you sterilize the brush heads or else youll end up with the worst cystic acne youve ever had. 
  • @calliecrea I have given thought to accutane but my skin is not that bad to the point that I think a doctor would prescribe it. However, it is an option to consider. Since it dries your face out so badly and for the first few months it really can make your skin "feel" worse, I want to wait until after my wedding. I also think I would wait until after I have kids to try it also because it won't  be long after we are married that we will want to try to conceive.

What experience do you have with the Clarisonic? Do you recommend it? Which brush head do you recommend? Any other advice on that? Thanks!

• eg72 - I went through the trials and tribulations of finding a "miracle product" for my skin.  It was no picnic so I know how you feel!  It took me several months but I did find what works for me and my skin type mirrors what you described for your skin.  I use Nubian Heritage Black African Soap (bar soap) on my face.  I pat dry and use Badger Balm (organic) Rose Hip Oil on my face and neck.

I also have a dermatologist and through several meetings and tests, we found I am allergic to almost every chemical found in over the counter, department store and retail store products.  You may very well be sensitive to the chemicals and perfumes commonly found in these products. 

I also only use Dr. Bronner's Soap for my shower needs.  The almond scent is my favorite and you can use it for shaving as well.  Not drying at all!  I use Dr. Bronner's Coconut Oil for my body moisturizer and have never been happier!  As a side note, Dr. Bronner's is organic too.

Once a week I use the baking soda trick.  It works very well and it's not too abrasive.  It mixes well with a little greek yogurt and honey.

The only other thing I changed up was my tea.  I changed to Choice Teas/Green Tea and that helped as well.

I wish you the best!

• OH...I also upgraded my pillowcases to silk.  Much better for your skin and not abrasive.  Just remember to wash them at least twice a week to remove oil build up.
  • @winnie100 I really do think I may be allergic or sensitive to many chemicals (especially perfumes) in most OTC face wash. I have very sensitive skin so that would make sense. It is definitely something I should talk with my dermatologist about.

I have heard that the silk pillowcases are better for your skin! It isn't as rough and helps prevent the wrinkles you can get from sleeping.

• I absolutely would discuss your sensitivity with your dermatologist.  My dermatologist is the one that strongly suggested we look at going completely organic for my skin.  I think once we figured out what worked for me, I saw improvements within a month.  The most noticable change was the redness/drying on my cheeks disappeared within a two week timeframe!  Initially, he was treating it for roscea!  I think there is something to be said for organic.  Plus, I drink a ton of water, no soda, coffee and very little alcohol.  Additionally, Badger Balm has an organic sunscreen that is fantastic and it works great under makeup.
  • @winnie100 Redness is something that bothers me too! I do have roscea on my hand (very mild) so they have said that it flares up with the mix of chemicals I use. I will definitely look into theseproducts as well!

• Best of luck to you in finding what works for you!  Congrats on your upcoming wedding and enjoy this time as it will fly right by you!

• kare8kare8 member
    First Comment
    I would suggest trying something completely natural, as other products can make things worse in the long run. your wedding isn't for a while yet, so this gives you plenty of time to try new things! I like redmond clay it actually pulls the bad stuff out of your pores and can heal blemishes, make sure you read the directions though, because if your skin is too sensitive you won't want to leave it on too long. also I really like mixing coconut oil and raw honey (you should be able to get both from a health food store) honey and coconut oil both have the ability to heal. this mixture can be a bit messy, but definitely worth it, if you do it for a couple of weeks your face starts to get really soft! you wont want to put the clay mixture on every day, but for my face I think the honey and coconut oil is gentle enough for everyday, however it could differ from person to person. Also another thought would be to talk to a nutritionist. This may be TMI but I tend to have stomach problems and when I address this issue I notice my face clears up a lot, acne and stomach problems can sometimes be directly related and for some people when the stomach issue is addressed it can help there acne immensely
  • Go back to the dermatologist. They can give you a better plan than any of us can.

Personally, Tazorac was the best prescription cream for me, but even that didn't get rid of it completely. 

You have time to do a course of Accutane, so you can ask about that. Accutane was the best decision I ever made. I had to do two courses, once when I was 25 and once when I was 27. It's been about 20 months since I stopped the 2nd course, and it finally seems to be gone for good.

I saw that you posted your skin might not be bad enough for Accutane. It doesn't always depend on how bad it is, but how persistent it is. If you can convince them that nothing else is working (if it's true), they will give it to you.
  • Also, you can get pregnant after being off it for 1 month with no issues or concerns for the baby.
  • Find a really well respected dermatologist.  A female might be easier to talk to and more understanding of issues with make up, etc.

My dermatologist delivered quite a suprise to me: that I was cleaning my face too much.  She said no more facials, scrubs, Clarisonic, or anything abrasive.  I didn't know I had sensitive skin.  Cleaning it often, and scrubbing it, made it worse.  She prescribed two topicals and said to wash only with clearasil.  My face is happy now as long as I don't touch it.  If I lean a phone up to it, read with my face resting in my hand, wear a hat that rubs my forehead, I'll get a breakout.  If I leave my face alone and follow her directions, it stays clear.

The dermatologist may have a major revelation for you, too.

• Talk to a dermatologist first.  Mine said no to clarisonic.  She said it's bad for sensitive skin--will make it worse, not better.
  • @charlotte272727 I have tried Tazorac a few times and it literally does nothing but irritate my skin. I definitely need to go see my Dermatologist...I have an appointment in a month (that's the earliest I could get off work) so hopefully we can figure something out.

A vain but partial reason I want to wait until after the wedding for Accutane is that we have engagement pictures and my bridal portraits and I didn't my face to be peeling off.

• @SAHoehle I have been told not to exfoliate so much so I have slowly cut back (I literally used to every day which is awful for your skin, now I do about once or twice a week). I will ask about the Clarisonic first...I didn't think of th harshness of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards