Chit Chat
Options

Seriously?!? (Vent)

Back story: I was friends with this girl (we will call her Abby) when I was in high school and for a little while in college. We lost touch and basically stopped talking shortly after she got married and moved across the country. 

Well the other day she sent me a text message randomly (it had been about a year since we talked last). We sent a couple text messages back and forth. She asked me if she, her husband and her 2 kids were invited to the wedding. Without thinking (I was at work so I wasn't really focused on the conversation) I said no. She asked why and I said unfortunately we can't invite everyone we want to. 

Well I guess that really pissed her off. Basically she said she should be invited because she talked to me less than 6 months before my wedding (I am a little over 4 months out) and because I attended her wedding.

I'm just like really? You think that you sending me 5 text messages after not talking to me for 1 year automatically means you're invited?? Ugh

Re: Seriously?!? (Vent)

• Options
    Ew. Gross Gross Gross. Good thing you lost touch with her. How ballsy to ask to be invited!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I knew a gal in college who basically stopped contacting me and responding to my calls and efforts to talk to her about 4 years ago. Last year, I start hearing from her- when she needs legal advice. She gets pissy that I can't give her advice-1) I'm not licensed to practice in her state, 2) I don't work in the type of issues she was dealing with, and 3) I'm a govt employee, I can't practice privately on the side.

Once she found out I was getting married, she starts calling me again about how "we" are going to plan "this wedding." Umm, no. My wedding, my planning. After 4 years of nothing, only to bug me for legal advice and badger me for an invitation? I didn't invite her. I haven't spoken to her since last fall. I figure I'll call AFTER the wedding if I have to.
  • Options
    That is really bad!!! Next time she texts I'd be like "sorry I don't have this number stored- who is this?" 

I saw this ridiculous movie on tv the other day (I think it was Lifetime or Hallmark which explains it) and this girl was having a huge, grand wedding at the Plaza in NYC and she was out shopping and ran into a really old college friend. And the girl was like "Omg I'm getting married, you totally have to come!! Yea, the 20th at the Plaza, see you there!" And I was just thinking like WHAT?? No! No! There are guest lists, RSVP's, seating charts, venue counts, you don't just run into someone on the street and verbally invite them! lol

• Options
    My best friend from high school (we've since lost touch) got married a few years ago. She posted on a mutual friend's (also from hs, pretty sure they don't keep in touch much otherwise) public FB wall "send me your address so I can send you a wedding invite!"

That 100% killed the friendship for me.

And I CERTAINLY wasn't going to go asking her for an invite.
  • Options
    phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I mean, she basically ONLY texted you so she could get an invitation. I hope she feels really good about herself. What an asshole.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I can't believe people actually do this!  

Anniversary
  • Options
    Ewwwwww.  

So her rule is anybody you've talked to within the past 6 months?  For me that would be, like, half of my school and a good percentage of random people on the streets of New York City.  Hmmm who else have I talked to?  The maintenance guy was at my apartment today.... I talked to all my professors last week...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Ew. Gross Gross Gross. Good thing you lost touch with her. How ballsy to ask to be invited!
    @blueeyes90

Yeah I know. It didn't really hit me at the moment since I was somewhat distracted at work but when I thought about it driving home I was like wait... did she really just do that....
  • Options
    urbaneca said:
    Seriously?! That's ridic. Firstly, wedding invitations aren't Pokemon Cards - you don't trade them back and forth, like for like! Secondly, just because you spoke to someone within 6 months of the wedding, doesn't mean you have a meaningful relationship with that person. Yuck.
    @urbaneca

Exactly! It would be different if we were really close and just hadn't talked in a couple months because of life being in the way but this is just silly.
  • Options
    That's insane. Did you she text you just so she could score an invite? Some people's behavior just make me shake my head in disbelief.

Sherlock No

@bethsmiles

I can't say for 100% certainty that is what she did but it definitely sounds / seems like it - since she still hasn't texted me since.
  • Options
    I knew a gal in college who basically stopped contacting me and responding to my calls and efforts to talk to her about 4 years ago. Last year, I start hearing from her- when she needs legal advice. She gets pissy that I can't give her advice-1) I'm not licensed to practice in her state, 2) I don't work in the type of issues she was dealing with, and 3) I'm a govt employee, I can't practice privately on the side.

Once she found out I was getting married, she starts calling me again about how "we" are going to plan "this wedding." Umm, no. My wedding, my planning. After 4 years of nothing, only to bug me for legal advice and badger me for an invitation? I didn't invite her. I haven't spoken to her since last fall. I figure I'll call AFTER the wedding if I have to.
    @Chipmunk415

Wow.... sounds like a peach lol
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    That is really bad!!! Next time she texts I'd be like "sorry I don't have this number stored- who is this?" 

I saw this ridiculous movie on tv the other day (I think it was Lifetime or Hallmark which explains it) and this girl was having a huge, grand wedding at the Plaza in NYC and she was out shopping and ran into a really old college friend. And the girl was like "Omg I'm getting married, you totally have to come!! Yea, the 20th at the Plaza, see you there!" And I was just thinking like WHAT?? No! No! There are guest lists, RSVP's, seating charts, venue counts, you don't just run into someone on the street and verbally invite them! lol
    @jenna8984

Haha! That's funny!
  • Options
    My best friend from high school (we've since lost touch) got married a few years ago. She posted on a mutual friend's (also from hs, pretty sure they don't keep in touch much otherwise) public FB wall "send me your address so I can send you a wedding invite!" That 100% killed the friendship for me. And I CERTAINLY wasn't going to go asking her for an invite.
    @Jennycolada

Yeah that would kill it for me too.
  • Options
    My reaction would be as follows:

Nope-anopity-nope-nope-NOPE.
    @PolarBearFitz

That basically was my reaction and you gifs made me laugh so thank you!
  • Options
    phira said:
    I mean, she basically ONLY texted you so she could get an invitation. I hope she feels really good about herself. What an asshole.
    @phira

Yes that's basically it. I would have to agree with you!
  • Options
    erinlin25 said:
    I can't believe people actually do this!  
    @erinlin25

I didn't believe it either because it seems so barbaric to me for someone to do that but then it happened to me..... sigh..
  • Options
    Ewwwwww.  

So her rule is anybody you've talked to within the past 6 months?  For me that would be, like, half of my school and a good percentage of random people on the streets of New York City.  Hmmm who else have I talked to?  The maintenance guy was at my apartment today.... I talked to all my professors last week...
    @JCBride2014

Yes it appears that would be what her rule is. Lol. If I did that I would be broker than broke trying to pay for everyone.
  • Options
    I had someone flat out tell me that they hoped I would invite them. I don't even know them really, they're a cousin of a person I used to hang out with in high school. For some stupid reason I said yes and sent an invitation and we are so limited on seats! I am kicking myself for being suckered into it like that and it's totally my own fault. =(

• Options
    CaliMel11 said:
    I had someone flat out tell me that they hoped I would invite them. I don't even know them really, they're a cousin of a person I used to hang out with in high school. For some stupid reason I said yes and sent an invitation and we are so limited on seats! I am kicking myself for being suckered into it like that and it's totally my own fault. =(

I'm sorry, the only people who have told me that were VIPS (my mom, dad, my FI-haha, and my MOH-who is like a sister) 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I had a girl who I was friends with in high school but have since lost touch with come out of the wood work and assume she was not only going to be invited, she was going to be one of my bridesmaids! Needless to say that didn't go over well and I haven't heard from her since. I've had a lot of people coming out of the wood work assuming that because we were friends at some point, they automatically get an invite. Sorry, no. Between our 2 families alone we're up at 130 before our super close friends that we see and talk to on a very regular basis.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2014
    I may or may not have spit out my wine laughing at this girls logic.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Who goes around fishing for a wedding invitation?! I don't understand this behavior AT ALL.
  • Options
    Some people seem to think a wedding = frat party. I am always amazed at the people who do ask to be in someone's wedding or be invited. I had an ex tell a girl she would be a BM when he and I got married. 10+ years later, I am getting married to someone else and this girl isn't someone I have much contact with but still assumed she would be a BM. She hasn't even made the final guest list, and probably won't make it.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    I just don't get fishing for an invitation. It's amazing to me how, now that we're at the 4 month mark, people are suddenly starting to text and leave notes on my FB wall. Sorry, dude. If you didn't get a STD or a verbal heads up about the wedding, you're not invited. I don't care if you invited yourself when I first got engaged, there still isn't going to be a seat for you!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    lyndausvi said:
    I may or may not have spit out my wine wine laughter at this girls logic.
    @lyndausvi

That's funny but sad if you did... poor wine haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards