Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cocktail/reception food

I was wondering if this is enough food for 10 guests during a cocktail type reception hour.we are going to a very nice restaurant for a 5 coarse dinner after the ceremony/cocktail reception thing (i don't even know what to call it now) one guest is a newborn so I guess it's more for 9 people...

Drinks-
10 bottles of water
2 bottles of sparkling juice
3 cans each pepsi, dr pepper, sprite and root beer

Food-
-Large edible arraignment Peace and Doves (it comes in a longe white container the doves are pineapples dipped in white chocolate also comes with grapes, strawberries, orange slices, cantaloupe and other super yummy fruits all in a pretty display)
-20 cupcakes~10 are chocolate with peanut butter icing (it's a family favorite and no one has a peanut allergy)~10 are a flavor of my choice (i don't like chocolate so it'd probably be like raspberry filled and some kind of vanilla or white cake
-cheese and cracker tray(medium- large sized)

I'm debating if i need to take anything away or if i need to plan for more there is about an hour and a half of time spent with the food and i can see this going either way (running completely out or having a bunch of leftovers)

Re: cocktail/reception food

• If your wedding is during spring or summer I would add a few more bottles of water. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would definitely say more water. At my SOs family's house during dinner, each person drinks at least one bottle of water, 10 wouldn't cut it. Additionally, have you considered diet sodas? No one in my family would drink a sugar soda. The food sounds great though! I would LOVE a white cupcake w raspberry filling!
  • I would increase the water--even though it's just an hour before dinner, if people are thirsty, they may want more than one bottle.   I also think you could up the sparkling juice and skip the soda.  Right now, you have a lot of types of drinks but not many of each type.  I would reduce variety and increase quantity.  I would prefer sparkling juice over soda, but you know the 10 people you've invited.  

I think food sounds great.  However, a cocktail hour should really be limited to an hour, so I would try your best to keep it as close to that as possible.
  • I think it sounds pretty good. People aren't going to be feverishly stuffing their faces if they know they have a 5 course dinner coming soon. Possibly a second cheese & cracker tray. My friend had 10 of us over her house for a certification class and even though she had donuts and bagels, the cheese tray went insanely fast...I know FI and I buy one that's supposed to be a family/ party size and we eat it all in a sitting tgether hahah

• The wedding is in November and inside so it'll be climate controlled. I'll up the water though, I know my parents/family are big pop drinkers and will take a pepsi or dr pepper over water though and maybe cut back the variety of it and maybe do one bottle of sparkling juice.

As for limiting cocktail hour to one hour...that's not exactly possible this is the time which we are doing the cake cutting and our first dance as husband and wife, we're doing it then because we won't be able to at the restaurant. That's why this is our "reception" but it's more like a cocktail hour. It's backward I know :/
  • The wedding is in November and inside so it'll be climate controlled. I'll up the water though, I know my parents/family are big pop drinkers and will take a pepsi or dr pepper over water though and maybe cut back the variety of it and maybe do one bottle of sparkling juice. As for limiting cocktail hour to one hour...that's not exactly possible this is the time which we are doing the cake cutting and our first dance as husband and wife, we're doing it then because we won't be able to at the restaurant. That's why this is our "reception" but it's more like a cocktail hour. It's backward I know :/
    Then I would increase the amount of pop available.  I'd be concerned that more than 3 people would want Dr. Pepper or one of the other types.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was wondering if this is enough food for 10 guests during a cocktail type reception hour.we are going to a very nice restaurant for a 5 coarse dinner after the ceremony/cocktail reception thing (i don't even know what to call it now) one guest is a newborn so I guess it's more for 9 people... Drinks- 10 bottles of water 2 bottles of sparkling juice 3 cans each pepsi, dr pepper, sprite and root beer Food- -Large edible arraignment Peace and Doves (it comes in a longe white container the doves are pineapples dipped in white chocolate also comes with grapes, strawberries, orange slices, cantaloupe and other super yummy fruits all in a pretty display) -20 cupcakes~10 are chocolate with peanut butter icing (it's a family favorite and no one has a peanut allergy)~10 are a flavor of my choice (i don't like chocolate so it'd probably be like raspberry filled and some kind of vanilla or white cake -cheese and cracker tray(medium- large sized) I'm debating if i need to take anything away or if i need to plan for more there is about an hour and a half of time spent with the food and i can see this going either way (running completely out or having a bunch of leftovers)
    I'd save the cupcakes for after dinner (or to take home as favors if the restaurant won't allow) and instead have a plate of cheese and crackers.  Agree with PPs about the soda/diet variety and more water (you could always bring the extras home, right?)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards