Honeymoon Discussions
Options

September '14 Honeymoon Destination

We are looking to stay below $3k and would like to have beaches with excursions and tourist-y things to do.  We're shooting for about a week give or take. I feel like all my options are thrown out the window because of hurricane season!  Help!

Re: September '14 Honeymoon Destination

• Options
    Not sure where you are travelling from, so I don't know how much your flight costs might be, but Aruba and Curacao are outside of the hurricane belt and less likely to be affected by one. You could also check out the Pacific coast of Mexico... places like Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, or Huatulco. 

• Options
    edited November 2013
    I live in S. FL and yes, that puts you smack in the middle of hurricane season.  The season is unpredictable as are the actual storms.  "Forecasters" get it right about 60% of the time.  
    Why not have a "mini-moon" right after the wedding and then schedule a cruise more towards the winter months.  
    Hubby and I just got a GREAT deal on a New Year's Eve cruise on Celebrity, out of Ft. Lauderdale, with 4 ports. It sits right within your budget if you are OK with an inside cabin.  I am because I am not in the cabin too much anyway.
  • Options
    I live in S. FL and yes, that puts you smack in the middle of hurricane season.  The season is unpredictable as are the actual storms.  "Forecasters" get it right about 60% of the time.  
    Why not have a "mini-moon" right after the wedding and then schedule a cruise more towards the winter months.  
    Hubby and I just got a GREAT deal on a New Year's Eve cruise on Celebrity, out of Ft. Lauderdale, with 4 ports. It sits right within your budget if you are OK with an inside cabin.  I am because I am not in the cabin too much anyway.
    To give an alternate perspective.....we would never book anything but a balcony.  We love sitting on the balcony in the morning with coffee or enjoying some drinks on there before or after dinner.  We also love to sit out there as we come in to or out of port.  No windows would drive me crazy.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.  We are flying out of Boston - sorry, should have included that!
  • Options
    You might want to try a cruise to Bermuda?  You won't spend nearly as much on travel to get there as you would to get to, say, Aruba.  Your budget is a bit tight.

Check out vacationstogo.com for ridiculously good deals on cruises.  If you are willing to wait until you are 90-120 days out you can get a killer deal.  The nice thing about cruises is they will usually re-route you in the case of a hurricane.  True, they can't always be avoided, but they're pretty good about that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot to mention - I don't know when you're actual date is in September, but there are cruises that depart from Boston for Bermuda that time of year - $1,079/person for the week from vacationstogo and that will buy you a balcony.

Alternatively, you could depart from NYC for $1,129/person for a week with a balcony.

If you can avoid an expensive flight you will be able to have a much nicer trip.  You would have some left for drinks, a spa treatment, an excursion or two, or a dinner at one of the fancier restaurants that require payment.  H and I splurged on a few of these types of things on our honeymoon in Jamaica, and they were worth every penny.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second the cruise out of Boston to Bermuda. My FI and I did it out of NYC in 2012 and really enjoyed it. You have 3 days there so there is plenty of time to spend at the beach. The boat turns into a floating all inclusive hotel. I have done both an inside cabin and a balcony on different cruises and I have been happy in both. If you are trying to keep your honeymoon under 3000 with all your excursions I would go for the inside cabin. You really do not have to spend much time in there. And that would give you a lot of room for extras like a couples massage. I would also recommend trying to eat on the ship most of the time because Bermuda is expensive. We did NCL and were very happy with it. 
  • Options
    I have the same problem... I want an all inclusive and aruba doesn't have many and they don't have good reviews.  plus it is very expensive to fly there from newark and also is very close to equator and i am afraid my fair skinned fiance will fry!
    we are looking into riviera maya in mexico and it looks like we are going to be just taking our chances.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i am actually curious about this myself as i am in the same situation. What about Bora Bora?
  • Options
    Aruba is one of the more expensive islands. The west coast of Mexico like Cabo is rocky, not picture perfect beaches at all. Bora Bora will not fit into a 3k budget. Bermuda is similar weather to Boston/NY so it may not be warm enough if it's late September. Hawaii can be very pricey. 

I would suggest California. San Diego is awesome and will definitely still be hot. Or take your chances with the Caribbean. Honestly, my mom is a travel agent. She has been for 25 years and knows her shit. She has no apprehensions about sending me to Jamaica in September. She and my father go every fall and have never occurred a "trip ruining" hurricane. She said it may rain for an hour each afternoon, but who doesn't need a nap in the shade each afternoon? I say just book it, get insurance just in case. 
    I'm flying out of Boston as well :) 

• Options
    We are having the same problem, we are getting married 09/13/14, so we decided to wait and take our honeymoon in December just to avoid the hurrican season.
  • Options

@JessicaJ4 I am getting married on Sept 14 2014...we were debating on waiting, but we are going to book a trip to Secrets Maroma or St Lucia Sandals Grande. We are worried about weather, but if we get insurance, we will re sched.

Where are you going in December??

Thanks!

Nikki

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards