Attire & Accessories Forum

Tattoo coverup for Wedding Day ?

Anyone have any experience covering up tattoos for their wedding day? I have a tattoo sleeve on my right arm that is all black and gray and one on my shoulder blade that i would like to cover up . I love my tattoos, just have always wanted to have them covered up for the big day . I was going to use Kat Von D's product but i havent seen that great of reviews about it. anyone have any recommendations?

Re: Tattoo coverup for Wedding Day ?

• Is getting a long sleeve jacket like a short balero an option & then you can take it off for a few pictures and when it comes time to dance?
  • I, too, do not understand coving them up. And I agree a jacket might be a better solution. Covering it up sounds like a lot of work, and what if it comes out wrong?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think it will cost you a lot of money, but a professional makeup artist is probably your best option if you still want your arms bare. However, there will still be a possibility it will smudge onto your dress, and you may sweat off some of the makeup. My personal opinion as well, as someone who will have multiple visible tattoos on my wedding day, is that they are part of you and you may actually regret NOT letting them show. Try covering them at home yourself and see what you think of the look/feel of having the makeup there. If it is uncomfortable at all I would advise you to reconsider.
  • I think it will cost you a lot of money, but a professional makeup artist is probably your best option if you still want your arms bare. However, there will still be a possibility it will smudge onto your dress, and you may sweat off some of the makeup. My personal opinion as well, as someone who will have multiple visible tattoos on my wedding day, is that they are part of you and you may actually regret NOT letting them show. Try covering them at home yourself and see what you think of the look/feel of having the makeup there. If it is uncomfortable at all I would advise you to reconsider.

I have to agree that I am confused as to why you are covering up something so personalized as a tattoo.  (Unless of course your venue specifically requires it)  I would agree that make-up may rub off so you will have to do some homework to find a good product that won't rub off/sweat off during your wedding and still looks natural.  Honestly, the jacket would be the best way to get around it, but its your wedding and your body so you can do what you want.

• If you really want to cover them up with makeup, I would suggest buying Dermablend, followed with a setting powder and a setting spray so that it does not smudge or stain your dress. A bolero or jacket is another option. I'd stay away from a lace bolero because tattoo's tend to look kind of weird underneath lace (coming from someone with tattoos).

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I used to use Dermablend when I worked for a bank that prohibited visible tattoos. It was not good, flaky and too orange.

OP, I'm with the others on not understanding why you'd cover up a tattoo, especially such a major one.
  • Thanks ladies for the feedback ! as to why im covering them up , i just think that the bare arms look is classier for you wedding day , not saying anything against those with visible tattoos on their days, just my personal preference for my day :) i absolutely love my tattoos ! just want the bare arm look . and the jacket is a good idea but not an option i would go with.

i tried the dermablend on today at Ulta and the lady made my wrist tattoo look TERRIBLE! so orange! idk if it was her not knowing how to do it or the make up but im now seeking a professional for help .
  • Bummer :( I must have orangey skin because last time I tries it it was fine. Maybe newer formulas.

I would call and see if you can get a trial done with a makeup artist who does airbrush foundation. That's what David Tutera has his tattooed brides do.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I kind of get that you want the bare arm look, but honestly we aren't talking about a small tattoo here. Your entire arm and shoulder blade is going to be covered in heavy, thick cover up makeup.  No matter how good the product is that crap will come off on you, your dress and your FI.  Not to mention that heavy cover up makeup is extremely uncomfortable and you will be constantly worried about it cracking and smudging.

• With a cover up makeup, all I imagine is the marks that it may leave when you embrace people, particularly men in suits. I have seen, soo many times, facial make up marks on the breast/shoulder of friends' suits after they've gotten a nice long hug from a relative.
  • Go to a Mac counter/store. They are great with that stuff.
  • I used DooWop under eye concealer to cover my tattoos when needed for work. It comes with two colors per kit a red to cover the black and a skin tone to blend in. Worked better than the kat von d but it does smear off easily honestly your best bet will be professionally  airbrushed so it doesn't come off.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really think this is going to be a mess if you try to do it yourself.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • i'm in a similar spot.... i don't hate my tattoos but just don't want to be that "offbeat bride" or whatever and decided to cover them for my wedding. i have an upper arm piece and an upper back piece i'm covering, and little ones on my wrists and ankle i'm leaving be. 

due to the size and placement, i decided to spend the money and hire a makeup artist. to me, it's worth it, it's what i want. i'm also going to get a bolero or something.... but that's in case of temperature, not the tatts. here's a pic for the gist of size, placement, and color.

it's your day, do what you want.... if you want to cover them, cover them! don't feel like you need to defend your choice to cover/uncover.
  • I kind of understand wanting the bare arm look.  I have a very large half sleeve and it goes onto my back and shoulder blade, as well as a large tattoo on my back and one around my leg at the ankle.

I have seen some dresses that will cover my tattoos if that is what I would like.  Well, they are part of me, and if they show, they show. 

With the make up, it seems to me it will just be so obvious.  There is no way your one arm is going to look the same as your others.  Good Lord when you look at the pictures later it will look like there was something wrong with your skin!

There is also the point of it rubbing off.  I have seen peoples make-up on others when they brush their face up against someone, and it is not a good look.
  • I have a full chest piece, a half sleeve, a forearm tattoo and both shoulder blades tattooed (and those are just the ones you can see when I'm in my dress!) so I have a bit of experience with covering. Black can be very difficult, colors are always easier. The best way to cover black tattoos is in 3 parts if you're using regular "over-the-counter"make-up.

1. You need to tone down the black with a red underbase.

2. Then use a skin tone concealer to cover the red. Depending on how dark the black (now red) is will be the factor on how many layers of concealer you will need. Keep in mind between layers you need to let it dry/powder it.

3. You will have to blend alll of that concealer with a setting powder.

This is obvously a ton of work for a super busy bride on her wedding day. I know some people have mentioned Dermablend...in the hands of professionals it can work really well...but airbrush is still probably easier. I hope the link below works...really cool/crazy tattoo cover-up with Dermablend, just for everyone's viewing pleasure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mIBKifOOQQ&feature=player_detailpage

• Paige HiersPaige Hiers member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2014
    There is a concealer called glamoflauge that is supposed to work wonders with tattoo covering.  I have not tried it myself but know people who swear by it.
  • A friend of mine had blemishes covered on her back for her wedding using a concealer. It looked fine in natural lighting, but under flash photography, each spot of concealer gleamed and reflected the light back, making her look like she had white spots instead of red blemishes. It just didn't match her skin under flash like it did with regular lighting.

I know a good makeup artist could have likely avoided this by using the right products, but my friend still hired this person to do their makeup as a professional and they got it wrong. I would be doubly concerned if I had tattoos to cover with how that would turn out in photos.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• "I just like the bare arm look" Oook....well you don't have bare arms so that's just weird. I'm not going to put balloons in my bra and say "well I just like the big boob look". That's not who I am or what I have and neither do you. 
    Sorry if that came off rude, I just don't understand loving them and covering them (and that's from someone who does have a half sleeve and it is part of who I am no matter what day of the week it is). 

• I'm with Jenna. If you like the bare arm look, why get tattoos there?
  • you could always do something like this, which i am considering depending on how my trial run covering my tatts goes.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards