Snarky Brides

It's Monday!

How was your weekend?

Re: It's Monday!

• Having this year inheriting 4 year old nieces I am having a Christmas coronary. When did Barbies get so complicated???
  • Um OK someone explain this to me:
    http://www.target.com/p/barbie-make-up-artist/-/A-13398902#prodSlot=medium_2_40&term=barbie

Not sold in stores, not available online. Cool, Target. You might as well list a super-magic glitter unicorn on your site.
  • Sweet, thanks Edie! I think little MK would probably prefer the unicorn, though.
  • I don't personally have any nieces or nephews, but I married into four this year, from ages 4-18.
    My new rule that H agrees with is to get them one fun thing and one book. Because I'm going to be THAT aunt.
  • Morning everyone! We had a good weekend with my family. Jcb. Have a great time in Key West. It sounds awesome. There are no nieces or nephews in my family either. FI has one nephew who is 5. He is the only grand kid so he gets a lot for Christmas.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:e55ce102-8d44-4814-84d5-74e95b77a01c">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE] My twin niece/nephew are beyond flucking spoiled thanks to their crazy effed up mother (my ex SIL).  I put zero thought into what I get them b/c it's just a token anyway.  They appreciate nothing.  
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

What do you usually get them? How old are they?
  • Morning, ladies!!

Jcb, good luck with those two- yikes. I've recently started being judgy of people's parenting when I'm out and about.... terrible. 

I'm doing wedding stuff this morning- we're in that weird place of checking to make sure the ceremony venue (FI's Catholic church) is available, plus our reception venue, plus the photog. I'm a terrible bride, I hate doing it for more than like a half hour. Throw some family drama in there and we're all having fun! 
  • Holy crap, jcb. Not cool at all.

Gift cards are usually a good choice for that age.

On an unrelated note: there was a weekend??? I must've missed it! Yell
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jcb - That's vile.
    Could you open a savings account in their name they can have at a certain date? My great grandfather did this, and I got it sometime when I was in college. It was only a couple hundred bucks, he really didn't put tons in there. I still remember getting the money out and being able to pay all of my bills one month. I know it sounds weird, but he had passed away at that moment and I knew he would be happy to be helping me as a poor college student. And I REMEMBER it 6-7 years later.
  • jcb - time to start donating to a worthy charity in their name.  They will get a nice greeting card thanking them for their donation.  As you know, I've had my fill with entitled asswholes, and that's what I'm doing now (if they're lucky).

DH decided to get another shed for the backyard.  Fine.  Except yesterday went from 'Hon, can you help me for a minute?' to 7 hours of full-on shed construction, including calling his BFF to help us move it and get the flooring set and level.  I guess I should focus on appreciating that he got it.  He did smoke some chicken, so I have great leftovers for lunch.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:25efc194-ec02-4a16-99d3-2f943db0e1ae">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't personally have any nieces or nephews, but I married into four this year, from ages 4-18. My new rule that H agrees with is to get them one fun thing and one book. Because I'm going to be THAT aunt.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>That aunt?  So you're me?</div><div>
    </div><div>Every kid gets books as part of their gift.  It's my rule. I currently have a book about pirates, a box of 12 board books about how to be a princess, a where's waldo book, a Cars book with sound effects, Heidi, The Black Stallion, and Little Women.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:350084aa-aab9-4138-b4c8-a9532ec3a120">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's Monday! : That aunt?  So you're me? Every kid gets books as part of their gift.  It's my rule. I currently have a book about pirates, a box of 12 board books about how to be a princess, a where's waldo book, a Cars book with sound effects, Heidi, The Black Stallion, and Little Women.
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

YESSSSS. I even gave our flower girls as a part of their gift a Disney Princess wedding book. They squealed when they got it.
  • I would do garlic chicken, just because in the Swag household we are eating light for a couple of days to detox, and the pasta seems heavy.
  • Hello, all!  

I just about cut my Christmas shopping list in half this morning. I still need to get a few things for H and things for my dad and SIL.  After that I think we'll be just about done (except for little trinket type things I randomly pick up!

Edie, Chicken Parm is always favorite of mine!  I have no idea what I'll make for dinner tonight... I forgot to take meat out of the freezer last night so it looks like I'll need to stop by the grocery store after work.  Blah.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Edie- Garlic Chicken!
    I might actually try this tonight!
    I won the pumpkin contest for most original today at work, I made Pumpkin Nutella swirl pie. :)

This weekend was uneventful, we were supposed to go out with the MIL for her birthday tonight but she canceled so now we're going over to her new house this weekend and painting- bleh. lol oh well we'll take what we can get with her :)

Ordered one of H christmas presents today :) I want to get done early this year :)
  • cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited November 2012
    Pumpkin Nutella Pie. WANT.

I am really really really trying to get ahead of Christmas shopping, and being Amazon Prime makes it a LOT easier.
  • Same here, swag.  I am really hoping to finish shopping next weekend.

I've done most of my shopping online because my CC has a ridiculously fabulous rewards program and I get way more points (+ free shipping most of the time) if I shop online through their website.  Makes things so much easier!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Swag- is it worth the money?

It was good- I think might have put a little too much nutella.
  • to the aunts who give books:

YOU ARE MY HEROS!!!

I always give books, my kids adore books, and I want to cry every time one of my students tells me that they "hate" to read, "it's boring" or they "haven't read a book in X years." And they're PROUD...

I'm making cod loins for supper before heading back to the theatre.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:de7e1d7d-37a4-4fac-8032-41c6a5194b4a">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Swag- is it worth the money?
    Posted by brittany634[/QUOTE]

YESSSSSSS. Even more so since I have a Kindle. They have a free lending library where you get one free book a month. It is somewhat limited selection, but I have read a lot of random books I may not have otherwise read that I really enjoyed.
    We also do all of our tv watching through XBox streaming, so we get access to their portal. It's mostly older movies, but we watch some from time to time.

Free 2 day shipping is just amazing, too. A lot of our Christmas shopping will be done through there. Along with decor.

I've never met anyone that had it that didn't love it.
  • Afternoon ladies!

I'm so excited, step-daughter is flying up with the grandbaby in a few weeks. So, I'm trying to finish my shopping so she'll have a few things here. I'll most likely ship everything to them when they leave anyway.

Thanks for the site suggestions Anna, I've already bought a few things and received free shipping.

Having a hard time with the stepdaughter, we like getting her things she wants and not relative to being a mom, last year was a full spa day. And her birthday is right after, so we can't combine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Jenny. That is a good idea. Maybe we will find a cute little boy book for FI nephew. We are flying there so we can't get anything too bulky anyway. We are having teriyaki salmon for dinner. It is also Thanksgiving detox.
  • Good Morning.

I think I had just about the longest weekend.

but I did get all of FI's Christmas shopping done.
    and I have no clue what to get my parents.

I am happy other people give books too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    Good afternoon ladies! I'm a little late to the game today - I've been trying to do some online shopping but I just don't know what to get anyone this year. So far I've only bought a few small things for H. 

Edie - I vote for the garlic chicken. We also need a detox from the heavy eating over the past couple days. Though the chicken parm also sounded really tempting. 

Swag - I agree, Amazon Prime is amazing! It's especially great because my mother has the membership, and she can then share it with my dad, my brother, and me. Sometimes the free two day shipping results in one day shipping. 

We put up Christmas lights and decorated the inside the house this weekend. Now I can't wait to get home to turn them on. They make me so happy! 

Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:7ec09fed-dcff-4750-a076-bf8ccebfb2ee">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]jcb - That's vile. Could you open a savings account in their name they can have at a certain date? My great grandfather did this, and I got it sometime when I was in college. It was only a couple hundred bucks, he really didn't put tons in there. I still remember getting the money out and being able to pay all of my bills one month. I know it sounds weird, but he had passed away at that moment and I knew he would be happy to be helping me as a poor college student. And I REMEMBER it 6-7 years later.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

<div>
    <div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:Times;font-size:medium;line-height:normal;" class="Apple-style-span"><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-repeat:initial;background-attachment:initial;-webkit-background-clip:initial;-webkit-background-origin:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;">When I was younger for many years I would always receive savings bonds in various amounts from my grand parents and from aunts and uncles. My mom was diligent about saving every single one. This year I finally cashed my whole entire stack in, and it amounted to almost $7k. I was beyond floored - I never expected it to be that much. It was a huge help because we put it towards the down payment on our house. It wasn't that exciting when I was younger to get them, but now I will always now be eternally grateful for those gifts and I'll always remember how it helped us out. </div></span></div></div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_its-monday-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:decc4732-a8b0-442a-97c4-f51d94693933Post:1c4a32c2-9941-44b8-83ec-2573137e2b72">Re: It's Monday!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: It's Monday! : When I was younger for many years I would always receive savings bonds in various amounts from my grand parents and from aunts and uncles. My mom was diligent about saving every single one. This year I finally cashed my whole entire stack in, and it amounted to almost $7k. I was beyond floored - I never expected it to be that much. It was a huge help because we put it towards the down payment on our house. It wasn't that exciting when I was younger to get them, but now I will always now be eternally grateful for those gifts and I'll always remember how it helped us out. 
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]

My friends always got cash from their relatives and I was sooo jealous because I just got savings bonds that I had to put into an account.  Now that FI and I are house shopping I am so excited and thankful!  My dad also got me a job at his business when I was 14 and made a deal that for every dollar I put directly into savings, he would put a dollar in there as well.  And he has done all my taxes for the past 11 years and puts the money directly into that savings account (I didn't know people got returns after taxes until I was 20).  Now I have a down payment!  I haven't told FI the exact amount yet, even though he knows about the system we had.  I'm thinking about telling him as a Christmas present as we're not doing gifts this year, and the total is about 3x what he thinks it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards